Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

Options after miscarriage

Sadly, I discovered today that I had a miscarriage after I experienced light bleeding over the last couple of days. Doctor gave me three options from here: 1. Wait it out and let my body naturally pass everything 2. Take medication to pass it quickly 3. D&C. As this is all new to me, I was hoping someone can explain the process of D&C so I can weigh my options and see if that is the route I want to go. Thanks in advance.

Re: Options after miscarriage

• I've never had option 2, so I can't weigh in on that.  I've had 1 D&C and 4 natural MCs.  Now, to be fair, my natural MCs all started on their own easily, and usually spotting/cramping was one of the first signs I was having a MC.  So other than having to wait a few days for some of the natural MCs, I wasn't ever in limbo waiting weeks on end for a MC to start.  Some people DO wait weeks, and still have to take meds to jumpstart a MC.  Also, sometimes the natural way or meds don't always clear out 'everything' and a D&C is needed to get any remaining tissue your body did not expel.

The D&C was a straight-forward procedure for me.  It was actually easier, in my opinion.  I was super tired from it, and tried to do too much too soon, so had pain for days afterwards.  I had no choice but to have a D&C for my first MC, because I had a suspected molar PG.  But it ended up being smooth sailing.  However, some people can have issues where they get nicked or tissue is missed, ending up in them having a 2nd D&C.

The choice really depends on how you feel and which option you want, or most importantly if your doctor recommends anything particular for your situation.

I'm sorry for your loss.  No matter your choice, take it easy on yourself and allow yourself time for self care.
    *TW All the Loss* #BitterHagPartyOf1

October 2015 - 1st MC.  7-8 weeks along. Suspected molar PG, but luckily just a MMC.

June 2016 - 2nd MC: 4-5 weeks CP

September 2016 - 3rd MC: 4-5 weeks CP

RE 1: ALL the testing - 'unexplained'  "Yinz can do IVF or try on your own"

Feb 2017 - 4th MC: 6 weeks

RE 2: More tests. Still 'unexplained.'  Called fat for an entire hour-long appointment, cried a lot

Feb 2019 - 5th MC: 6-7 weeks

IUD - March 2019-March 2023

RE 3:  Repeat all the tests. Hoping to try IVF.

• @stormageddon-darklordofall Thanks for your response! How did you know that everything was cleared out for the MCs that naturally passed? Did you have to have any follow ups to confirm? I think I may have naturally passed everything this morning but I’m not entirely sure. I’m guessing I will just need to wait for the follow up appointment.
  • Loading the player...
  • @itsmejay Your doctor should track your HCG down to 0 to show you are not PG.  You should not attempt PG until after your HCG reaches 0, you have an AF after that, and then you can try again.

October 2015 - 1st MC.  7-8 weeks along. Suspected molar PG, but luckily just a MMC.

RE 2: More tests. Still 'unexplained.'  Called fat for an entire hour-long appointment, cried a lot

• @stormageddon-darklordofall Oh I meant, how did you know everything was cleared out naturally and there were no more tissues left inside that would still require a D&C? Based on your answer, it sounds like they would track via HCG levels vs. an ultrasound to confirm is all out?
  • @itsmejay Yeah, the doctor should track your HCG down regardless of which MC route you take.  (some people do it by using PG tests until they're negative).  Once it's negative, that shows that HCG is no longer present, so all tissue and PG hormones are out of your body/system and it is safe to attempt PG again.  Ultrasounds really only help once a PG has developed so far.  I think they may be able to track some other way internally if they need to, but that's more emergency/non-common.

• @stormageddon-darklordofall Thanks for your help! Greatly appreciate the information.
  • ReadyForaBReadyForaB member
    edited June 2022
    I am literally going through a Misoprostol dose as I type this. Second go around with this. First one was smooth. I’m about three hours into this one so to be continued on that I guess. My doctor confirms everything passed with an ultrasound in a few days. 

Edit to add my first dose was with a separate pregnancy over a year ago. I realize now my response may have been confusing. 
    TTC History:
    Started dating DH 2006 . Married 2015

TTC July 2015-November 2015
    BFP November 2015
    Baby boy born August 2016

Oops BFP February 2021
    MMC March 2021

Back on BC for a year to decide what we want to do.

TTC Since March 2022
    MMC June 2022

BFP September 2022 - Due June 2023!

• itsmejayitsmejay member
    edited June 2022
    @ReadyForaB I was wondering how you were doing since we hadn’t heard from you after your last update. So sorry for your loss. Wish we didn’t have to “meet” back up here in this board. Thanks for the info. I have a follow up appointment on Friday (which was supposed to have been my first OB appointment 😭) so hopefully they will tell me everything is clear so I can move on. Sending you a virtual hug!
  • @itsmejay ughhh virtual hug for you too! Such a shitty place to be. I don’t have my confirmation ultrasound until Monday but I’m 99% positive I had another successful experience with the meds. Not bad at all. Hope you get some closure soon! 
    TTC History:
    Started dating DH 2006 . Married 2015

TTC July 2015-November 2015
    BFP November 2015
    Baby boy born August 2016

Oops BFP February 2021
    MMC March 2021

Back on BC for a year to decide what we want to do.

TTC Since March 2022
    MMC June 2022

BFP September 2022 - Due June 2023!