June 2022 Moms
Options

False Labor vs Real

skathiskathi member
edited June 2022 in June 2022 Moms
Hi everyone,
I'm having a lot of panic about this whole going into labor thing. For the last week and a half now, I've been experiencing contractions that feel like the real thing, are consistent when timed, pretty painful/grow in intensity, etc. Then they stop after 1-3 hours usually.
With my first I had to be induced due to preeclampsia, so I'm really clueless about how to tell the difference between real and false labor when my false labor isn't matching up with all the Googling I've been doing.  :| To make matters worse, the hospital is about a 30 minute drive away when there isn't heavy traffic (up to 50 minutes during rush hour), and my only option for someone to watch my 4yo is my in-laws who both work full time and live 15 minutes the opposite direction of the hospital... So I'm really nervous that when I do go into labor, I'm going to be second guessing myself so much that I'm not going to realize until way too late. And I keep being told how much faster the second one comes than the first.
On top of this, my husband hasn't packed a bag or anything yet despite my asking him to for a couple weeks now. It's really irritating me how nonchalant he and his family are about everything... Like oh we'll just wing it. Anyway, that's a separate rant.
I don't have a doula and my women's clinic doesn't receive calls after 5pm (the response I've gotten when I've asked about all this is to just go to triage if I'm unsure, but at this rate I'd be there every other night, lol).
Can anyone give me some reassurances? Relate your experience about getting your other kid(s) where they need to go and still making it to the hospital on time? Reassure me that I won't be giving birth in the car in the middle of the freeway? 😅

ETA: I'm 38+3