Pregnant after 35
Options

Didn’t Know Pregnant Medication

Hello Everyone,
I am so worried I cannot stop looking online to try and find answers. I did not expect to be pregnant and was taking 0.5-1mg Ativan and alternating with Ambien 5mg. I have stopped the Ativan but still rely on Ambien to sleep. Without it I am up all night and extremely anxious the next day. I was on 100mg Zoloft post partum years ago but am now down to 50mg. The side effects were too much. I am currently 12 weeks. All tests hav skilled good but I am too worried to tell doctors. Will they encourage me to end the pregnancy?

Re: Didn’t Know Pregnant Medication

• Options
    Definitely tell your doctors! I don't know if they'll recommend ending the pregnancy or not, but even if they do, you absolutely don't have to. You can continue the pregnancy regardless of their opinion, and you can switch doctors if necessary. Women whose babies have been diagnosed with a fatal condition before birth have the option to continue the pregnancy, so will you if there are any effects from the meds. If you're still on meds, the doctor may be able to recommend safer ones, or if you continue, they can counsel you on what to expect with the baby. I'm a foster parent, so I know there are many, many, many women on cocktails of dangerous drugs who carry their babies to term. If your child is born addicted to drugs (they may test you at birth, so don't think not telling is going to stop it), they may be removed from your care, but if you tell your doctors and get help, that won't happen to you. I don't even know if/how dangerous those meds are, do you? A great resource is mothertobaby.org, you can call that (it's anonymous) and discuss the research about any meds you're on. I called them about a med my PCP recommended I go off- I have debilitating back pain without it- and got reassurance about the med I was on and in was able to discuss the alternatives and the effects of those. In my case, it was safest to stay on my current med than switch, and my PCP wasn't well informed about the effects on the baby.
  • Options
    https://mothertobaby.org/fact-sheets/zolpidem/https://mothertobaby.org/fact-sheets/lorazepam/,and https://mothertobaby.org/fact-sheets/sertraline-zoloft-pregnancy/

Those fact sheets address the meds you mentioned. If nothing else, they can give you and your doctor information on what to look for/expect with the baby IF there are any effects, so they can get appropriate treatment ASAP. It looks like there may be a higher chance of miscarriage, heart or lung issues, anal atresia, or withdrawal in the infant. The chances of all of these seem low, and though some are serious, they don't seem to be fatal (with treatment). There is no reason to end your pregnancy, but maybe reasons to explore other solutions for your medical needs, if possible.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    missyledezmamissyledezma Just Joined
    I am so happy to hear that there is a source to go to I am on pregnenolone 10mg been for 6 months because doctor done blood work and wasn’t able to find a value of pregnenolone in my system everything I read it says do not use in pregnancy and it’s the only thing that has help me sleep and keep calm other wise I am very nervous and shacking confused and weak anything on pregnenolone supplements I haven’t been able to find anything on it during pregnancy