October 2022 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight: Baby Containers

A place to discuss all of the options of items of places to put the baby - swings, bouncers, playards, etc. I also think it could be open to things like baby gates or anything that helps “contain” the baby (or keep siblings and/or pets out). 

Re: Product Spotlight: Baby Containers

• Options
    I'm tight on space in my apartment and I've been wondering whether to get a swing or a bouncer - I'm sure it is different per baby/child, but what one would get more use in your opinion?
  • Options
    We've always done bouncers. I've never had a swing. I know they can be life savers from colicky babies. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01MTZ8EBE/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_FY62B1VNJHXT85P9P3RM

I'm getting this for next  springs/summer for sure. We are in our yard all the time. I used a pack n play with my last two and it was fine. I need something I can keep shaded on the pool deck. Our backyard is brutalized by the sun so shade is a necessity. I did a fitted sheet over the top of the pack n play when they were really little but once they can pull up they hate it. 
  • Options
    We had a bouncer for DS that was a gift, an exersaucer by Skip Hop that converts into a little kiddo table when they grow out of it, the snuggle me organic baby lounger, and a jolly jumper. Loved all of them! We did have a swing because of limited space. Not sure if we'll get one this time or not.
  • Options
    KGETS86KGETS86 member
    My 3rd really liked the Nuna Leaf. I like it because it has a higher weight capacity, so it’s ok if my older kids use it too. 
    We’ve also used the dockatot (while supervised) which has been convenient when needing to give some love to my older kids. 
    This seat is also super convenient, because it’s light weight. We move it from room to room as needed, and use it outside as well. 
    Fisher-Price Infant-to-Toddler Rocker - Pacific Pebble, Portable Baby Seat, Multi https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07WRSSSRJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_046J72G3KZ3GF54E8MKH

We have a summer infant playard for use outdoors. By the time it’s warmer where I live, I’ll probably use that over a baby dome. 
  • Options
    I had the rocker as well for my last one. I honestly kept it in the upstairs bathroom so I could shower. 🤣 But it was easy to move to another room. My son ended up flipping it at some point and I stopped using that but I don't think that's super common.
  • Options
    mia80mia80 member
    We had the rocker @KGETS86 used for our little guy, and we used it ALL the time!  It was so lightweight we used it everywhere, when I showered, in the living room, in the kitchen, wherever!  It also seemed to do something for my son's bowels and we nicknamed it the poop chair!  lol

We also had the same play yard @krysnicole1022 linked, and we used that a lot when we went camping when my son was 6-10 months old with some foam squares underneath. It was great for outside, although I found he wouldn't just chill on his own and I always had to be in there with him. 

For swings, we bought a Fischer Price one (can't remember the exact one), and we didn't use it as much as the rocker, but it was still used a fair bit until our little guy was maybe 4 or 5 months?  I know some moms that swear by them, and our guy liked it... but he didn't love it. Mind you we still got a fair number of swing naps from it, so it was worth the money from our side!

As far as things for when they're a little older, we had an exersaucer he really liked. I wanted a jolly jumper so bad, and we used ours maybe twice?  Little guy did NOT like it!  But at least it was a hand-me-down from my sister-in-law so we weren't out any money!

Generally speaking, it seems like you cannot predict what sort of gadget baby will like! If you can get hand-me-downs or find used ones, I personally think that's the way to go, because everything is so expensive, especially if you only use it for a month!  
  • Options
    We have both an exersaucer and jumperoo. They are currently almost nine years old because we bought them new with our first. My son really didn't like any sort of container. 
    Just as a warning I nannied for a family whose son would only sleep in the swing. He ended up getting a flat head and his ear moved somehow from always sleeping on the same side in the swing. They had to get rid of it. Fortunately a helmet corrected it. Being a nanny for so long is both a blessing and a curse. 🤣🤣 I've seen some stuff. 
  • Options
    mia80mia80 member
    @krysnicole1022 yhea, I know you're not 'supposed' to let them sleep in the swing, but some days it was the only place he's sleep other than my arms!!!  I'm a firm believer in 'all things in moderation', and figured a couple naps a week in the swing weren't going to be a problem!
  • Options
    Oh that's definitely not what I meant! My babies have all napped in bouncers or wherever. I always say you've got to do what you have to do to survive when you're in the trenches. I'm all for a swing if that's what works. 
  • Options
    For our first, we got the Graco glider LX swing. It was nice to give my arms a break, but jeez is it huge. In a 1-bedroom apartment, it was way too big. Even when we moved, it was a problem. Was so glad to put it in storage. We also got the fisher price jumperoo which he LOVED. Planning on using both again.