January 2023 Moms
Options

Telling friends experiencing infertility

One of my best friends has been TTC for almost two years. She knows we started trying this year and has been so supportive. Fortunately, they haven’t identified anything being “wrong” and she’s told me she thinks the timing just hasn’t been right for her and her husband. 

I am excited but nervous to tell her we’re expecting because I’m sure it’ll bring up difficult emotions for her (she’s shared with me before that finding out others are pregnant is very hard). To make matters more complicated, we’re long distance and so I’ll have to tell her over the phone.  :/  

I don’t know how much excitement to bring to my call with her. Part of me wants to say “I’m sorry” but that doesn’t feel right either because I’m so happy and relieved about my journey. 

Help! TIA <3

Re: Telling friends experiencing infertility

• Options
    I would just be as upfront as possible but give her space to grieve a bit after. There’s really no right way to do this that will leave zero hurt feelings 

It’s okay to feel this way!—I’ve been the Infertility friend in this situation tons in last 3 years. ❤️
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @footdrbritt @00kim00 Thank you both so much! I know you speak from experience so I’m grateful for your thoughtful responses. I feel more prepared to tell her. Sending love and blessings for strength and good health to you and your babies! 
  • Options
    @missmuisq thank you so much for sharing such a beautifully worded and personal message <3 this is really helpful! Sending love to you and baby! 
  • Options
    @missmuisq that made me tear up.  What a wonderful relationship you have. 
    TTC History:
    Started dating DH 2006 . Married 2015

TTC July 2015-November 2015
    BFP November 2015
    Baby boy born August 2016

Oops BFP February 2021
    MMC March 2021

Back on BC for a year to decide what we want to do.

TTC Since March 2022
    MMC June 2022

BFP September 2022 - Due June 2023!

• Options
    I agree with all of these ladies. I had a terrible experience this year when a close friend of mine recorded my reaction when she told me she was pregnant. She knew about all of our IVF struggles, and I felt so violated. I think I should get an Oscar for my performance, because I was literally shutting down inside. It’s a very complicated thing to experience - it’s not that you’re not happy for your friend/relative, but psychologically you experience the news as a threat. I felt a fight/flight response and I cried for days. Her choice to share her news that way has put a temporary strain on our relationship. I’ve needed some distance, but I’m hoping that in a few weeks I will be able to share my good news with her and I will feel differently about her pregnancy. My recommendation would be to give her a heads up. An email, a text, something that she can read and digest before seeing/speaking to you. Put the ball in her court for how to manage the situation. There’s a great Instagram account called Infertility School that gives insight and ideas on how it feels and how to navigate infertility.
  • Options
    Thank you for sharing you experience <3 Cheers to a healthy pregnancy and a healthy baby for you!
  • Options
    jesofthenorthjesofthenorth member
    edited May 2022
    @missmuisq I have to admit, I took some inspiration from what you wrote and told my best friend (who experienced a miscarriage and scary diagnosis earlier this year) yesterday. I think texting vs. calling was the right move, it gave her space and she and I had a great talk afterward. 

Just saying, these conversations can be painful and awkward and all sorts of things, but they CAN go well. Even peacefully. Thank you everyone for sharing on this thread. The collective warmth is so helpful. ❤️
  • Options
    @jesele I completely agree. I experienced secondary infertility and I can definitely say that not everybody shows this level of thoughtfulness. Especially since everybody assumed that since I had one LC, it would be appropriate to ask about plans to have more.

@r_kenn99 just asking this question shows your awareness. Your friend is lucky to have you, and hopefully she'll get her THB soon.

@leahandbabyr To be honest, I am not surprised that your relationship suffered after that! It's hard to believe somebody would be so tone-deaf. Really sorry you had to deal with that!
  • Options
    @jesele Thank you for sharing that. I'm very touched and that was the idea all along - for people to be able to borrow as much or as little as they choose if they found it helpful. My sister gets all the credit, of course. 

So glad to hear that your words made your friend feel loved and supported!