November 2022 Moms
Options

Belly Fat or Baby Bump?

Please tell me I'm not the only one who can't really tell if my baby bump is starting to show or if I'm gaining weight in my stomach. I normally gain weight in my stomach/love handles first. I feel like I'm expanding lol but I can't tell what it is. First pregnancy, I'm 5'4 about 130 before pregnancy. About fluctuating between 137-138 now. 14 and a half weeks. 

Re: Belly Fat or Baby Bump?

• Options
    @mo2231 it’s probably a baby bump.  My bump was little at first with my first. This stage is awkward when it’s not clear what’s causing the extra mass in the midsection. But it will soon be clear that it’s the baby. 

This is my second pregnancy I still had a little pooch from my first pregnancy but was also showing a little  by 12, and I’m definitely showing now at 15weeks . -though I’m trying to hide it from my students which is getting increasingly hard 
  • Options
    I’m in a pretty identical boat. 5’3 & went from 130 to 137. There’s definitely a layer of fat on my stomach, but underneath it’s hard. I’ve been eating a ton of fiber (the only way I can poop because I’m taking Zofran). Between that, my uterus doibling in size, 50% more blood & a small creature growing, I’ve got a noticeable bump!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    sejicasejica member
    Even if it's not the baby/uterus itself, the expanding uterus pushes all your other internal organs around, especially if you're on the more petite side to start. So, it could be your slightly shifted small and large intestine, plus some bloat.
    BabyName Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    dzappdzapp member
    I’ve been wondering the same thing. I’m 5’3 and started about 119 pounds. I rock climb and have always been pretty fit and was REALLY focused on core pre-pregnancy to try to protect my spine (I have a 40 degree curve). Between the bloat and constipation, water retention  and just generally being petite I feel like my stomach started popping immediately. I also am a FTM and my abs have already split. It’s so frustrating and I thought having a strong core would help AVOID the splitting but it turns out it can cause it to happen even earlier 🙄. So now I’ve got a belly or a bump, not sure AND a protrusion like the movie Alien.