January 2023 Moms
Options

Work & pregnancy issues

mhdmass3232mhdmass3232 member
edited May 2022 in January 2023 Moms
I’m wondering if anyone else has already run into instances of first trimester symptoms causing issues with their jobs.

I work in a corporate 9-5 type of job and had been planning on going to a conference for a week in early June that require me to fly across the country, be up early and on my feet all day. But for about a week (I’m 6w4d) I’ve been dealing with increasingly bad morning nausea and most of all, I had anxiety and panic attacks for years, but they’ve been rampant the past week or so, especially at the thought of travel and I’m scared at putting me and my pregnancy through a week of elevated heart rates and panic attacks.

anyone else experience something like this? Or have had to back out of a work obligations to protect their heath and pregnancy?

Re: Work & pregnancy issues

• Options
    I was active duty army my last pregnancy and I’m a doctor so my job(s) constantly had issues/caused issues. I’m sure I’ll have similar issues this time around (still a doctor, army reserves) 

I just tried to be honest with myself and staff and upfront about everything. I also did IVF so they were aware super early. 

• Options
    m2am2a member
    @mhdmass3232 I get panic attacks and I’ll be honest, Covid times have made them worse. I’m high risk, have a LO and am prego. The prego part is new and no one knows but my boss is very understanding with the other issues. I turned down work travel due to being uncomfortable with Covid.  The thought of it was giving me frequent panic attacks and couldn’t stop them from coming. If travel came up again, I’d still say sorry I can’t, especially now that I’m prego.

I wish you the best and hope the panic attacks subside. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I run a summer camp for teens based on adventurous activities and I need to accompany them on all of the trips as I'm also the driver. I won't be able to do many of the activities whether by doctor's note or the activity company's policies or waivers. 

If you must go, talk to your doctor about things you can do to alleviate some of your panic and anxiety worries in addition to the symptoms. If you have the choice to bow out, I would take that route of safety and comfort over the risks. 

If anything, maybe some of the important bits can include a zoom link or something similar. Everything seems to have a virtual option now. Might be worth the ask. 

Good luck and I hope you feel your best soon!