3rd Trimester

Percentile Question

Hi! Just need to vent/get advice. Has anyone had a similar experience?

I went to a 4D ultrasound today and I asked them during if she was measuring good. The tech measured her leg and stomach and said she was measuring at 25 weeks (I’m 27, 4 days) and is in the 3rd percentile. I’ve always thought that percentile was not good. 

The tech said nothing is wrong or to worry about. I obviously know that it wasn’t a full scan and this tech was not an actual doctor but of course I’m trying not to panic.

Re: Percentile Question

• So, you went to a boutique for an ultrasound and couldn't get medical advice?  Was the tech doing things properly- accurate measurements, etc.? Thats what it sounds like to me, IDK. 

How have your appointments been going?  Is your doctor concerned about your growth?  IF he/she is happy with your growth that's what matters.  Some babies are just petite.   

My husband was born under 6 lbs and is perfectly healthy.  6' tall.  
  • meggymemeggyme member
    US are also know for being wildly inaccurate the further along you get.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Loading the player...
  • Was this at a hospital or at a boutique? Because I went to a boutique two days before a hospital scan and their weight estimate was half a pound over what the hospital scan indicated. I think the hospital puts more time and effort into getting those measurements just right because it’s medical. Whereas the boutique is kind of a novelty and they’re just guessing for the sake of giving you a good experience. They’ll focus on the face and fingers and toes (those cute baby images we really want to share) rather than checking the kidneys and lung development. 

Talk to your OB about your concerns at your next appointment. If you feel really anxious you can call your office or the nurse line before your next appt. 
  • I think the legs/arms are very commonly smaller. The head is also a super important part for size measurement so if that wasn’t included then it definitely isn’t a fully informed scan.  If it was at a boutique, then I wouldn’t worry :) but definitely call your doctor if you want to ease your mind!