September 2022 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight: Bottles and Bottle Accessories

Questions/recommendations?
Current pregnancy -
First BFP on 1/4/22.  Due date 9/13/22.

Four prior losses, no living children - 1 first trimester miscarriage, 1 blighted ovum, 1 chemical, and one extreme premature live birth daughter who died at 15 days old.

Re: Product Spotlight: Bottles and Bottle Accessories

• Options
    pangolindromepangolindrome member
    edited May 2022
    My friend has glass bottles for us is what my husband told me, I saw the trial pack on Babylist and I've been curious about it. 
    I plan on breastfeeding but am not set on only that if it doesn't work out for Tiny. I have done a fair bit of reading and saw that the Comotomo is mainly for breastfeeding babies because the nipple behaves similarly?
    FTM with no younger siblings, so I have literally no idea here except for what I have read, haha. I've either been on the wrong continent or deeply opposed to being too adjacent to babies for my siblings' and cousins' kids, so I really have not had any primo learning opportunities.
  • Options
    newbabymama27newbabymama27 member
    edited May 2022
    My advice would be to try the bottles from your friend first because they’re available and if baby doesn’t like them, go down the list of other popular ones. We used the Avent Philips Natural ones (plastic ones, also advertised for breastfed babies, we got free ones from a local baby store) and they worked great so we didn’t need try any more. Mr Brown’s are also super popular that I know babies like. I wouldn’t go straight to Comotomo just based on your research because a) they’re expensive and you’ll need a lot of bottles and b) just because it’s advertised a certain way doesn’t mean that YOUR baby will like them. My advice to anyone when buying bottles: buy one or two of each popular brand, then do further trials if needed. Don’t invest in a huge pack of one brand because it’s possible that your baby may hate them. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Came here to say I wanted only glass bottles. We had 2 different brands in large sets and then also the mason bottle nipple because I have tons of mason jars from canning already. Neither of my children would use them.

Don't go and buy a ton of bottles of one type, babies are not nice at picking a bottle. 

My first at 3 months old, would only go to a Nuk trainer sippy cup with the square nipple, so not nipple like at all. Once she was 6 months old she hated that and would only use the munchkin weighted straw cup we got to offer water. At 9 months old she preferred the munchkin 360 cup, but would still use the straw cup too. 

My second we tried every bottle we had she finally decided the one mam bottle we got from a registry box was the only thing she'd drink from. It also has a square ish nipple, and I swear my nipples aren't square. Around 9 months old she decided she no longer would take a bottle and would only use her sister's water bottles. 

I guess the benefit here is I never had to wean a baby from a bottle along with the boob. 

Some accessories we used. I had a bottle sterilizer for my first used likely until she was 3 months old mostly for pump parts. Never used it after that, most dishwashers have a sterilize button you can press. Never used a bottle brush, but straw brushes are a must of you have a baby who ends up with a straw cup. 

I'm not sure what we'll do this time, if I get to stay home for the year I might not use bottles at all. I personally prefer being the only one who can feed or kids so they come back to me at least every feeding. 
  • Options
    @newbabymama27 Yeah, I've understood that babies will not like just anything which is why I like this Babylist starter set. I am concerned with the weight of glass bottles, and the risk of shattering, and myself being increasingly clumsy along with a curious, tall, and long dog :sweat_smile: 

@jhysmath I'm sorry but I am totally imagining a Minecraft baby with a Minecraft mom and square nipples now.

We haven't had a dishwasher since 2015ish when we first moved into an RV, so it'll be handwashing for us no matter what. I doubt even the upgraded RV would have room, but we're kind of hoping that if we can manage the RV, that we could switch the oven for a dishwasher. RV ovens are SKETCHY since they're just gas. I don't trust it. Plenty of bottle brushes courtesy how many Hydro Flasks I own, so we're well prepared. I'm so intrigued by accessories and what all's out there!
  • Options
    @pangolindrome the starter set looks cool and gives you good options! I haven’t seen that before likely because you know.. Canada lol. Oh and I don’t have a dog but I’m also clumsy hence why I didn’t go for glass bottles either. My son turned out just fine 😂
  • Options
    We went with comotomo pretty much from the beginning, but we also loved the Kiinde breastfeeding bags that you pop a nipple on and go. We're planning to start that way with this next baby, but I agree, not every bottle works for every kid. We're also getting some glass Avent bottles because they fit my pump and will be a lot easier to clean.

For washing, be sure to change out your bottle brush fairly regularly (we don't put our bottles in the dishwasher because I don't know why? Ask my husband; our daughter's dishes are something he cleans) because they harbor germs. We tried the Boon silicone brush, but it was awful and never got things clean (the one shaped like a flower, and I'm not even sure if they sell it anymore). Now we just use the OXO and Munchkin bristle brushes. We also absolutely swear by Dapple bottle soap. Nothing was getting the bottles as clean or getting the milk stink out as well as that did. We will definitely stock up on it again.

For a drying rack, I desperately wanted that Boon grass, and we used it for almost a year. About 6 months in, we also bought the OXO drying rack with pegs, and surprise, it was a million times better for us than the grass. After about six months of using both, we decided the grass had to go. We have since donated the grass and plan to upgrade our OXO rack for the next kid. I honestly think the marketing sucked me in on that.

For bibs, you'll want those terry cotton ones for spit up and drool, but the silicone ones are the way to go for eating (any silicone ones are fine; we use the Cloud Island brand from Target). Our second favorite are the Bumkin bibs with lots of cool designs. For her first year or so, we also loved the bib smocks from Bumkin when feeding her things like pasta.

A splat mat was also worth its weight in gold. When they move to a booster in a regular chair (or if your high chair is one that sits on a kitchen chair), just put it under the seat to protect your chair, especially if it has upholstery.
    DD 10/2019
  • Options
    @newbabymama27 Based on the reviews, it looks like the starter set has been out for about six months, and I think I only found it because I skimmed through like... ten list articles and only one or two of them had the starter set on there. The October group put this spotlight way earlier in the schedule, so I've had time to think about it! LOL!
  • Options
    We went with comotomo from the beginning and thankfully it worked out well. We also had some Phillips Avent bottles gifted to us that we used if needed, but we definitely preferred the comotomo.

Ditto what everyone else says though. What we chose in the beginning thankfully worked out, but I’d definitely try and buy a few different kinds bc you just never know what baby will take. And you probably won’t want to be doing that trial and error at a late night feed with only one type of bottle at your disposal.
  • Options
    When DS was 6 weeks old, we switched to formula. We went with MAM and DS took to them, so we never tried anything else. I'm planning to bf with Zig, but hope pumping goes well this time. We'll probably go with MAM again and see how Zig takes to them. 
  • Options
    We are going to try out the Comotomo bottles, and maybe a Nanobebe (anyone else have a strong Moira/Schitt's creek voice saying BEBE?!). Will see what baby likes and then order more once we've established a good relationship with breast and bottle. At least hoping that both will be an option. We will need to bottle feed eventually when I go back to work and pump so will start introducing the bottle probably a month or so after baby is born. It worked out fairly well with my second born, and we were able to do both for his first year. My first born was a little trickier, but I also was MUCH younger and didn't have the confidence in breastfeeding/pumping like I do now. 

For drying rack and bottle brush, I really want these newer Boon versions. They're so cute!! Bonus that the bottle brush assortment sells replacement brushes so you only have to get those. 
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08KBCVXFT/?coliid=I19GAOSA50S75I&colid=2A2URCEYU7B5C&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08411KG5F/?coliid=I1PVGHH6QDKOXA&colid=2A2URCEYU7B5C&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1
  • Options
    Our doula recommended these. Here’s what she had to say:

If you're planning to both breastfeed and bottle feed, I'd recommend these Lansinoh bottles instead of the mixed bottle pack on babylist. The Lansinoh nipples are shaped a lot more like a real nipple, which makes it easier to switch back and forth between feeding methods rather than baby getting used to a small narrow "straw like" nipple which requires a different type of latch.

Lansinoh Baby Bottles for Breastfeeding Babies, 5 Ounces, 3 count https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H0DH2NS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_C305XFEVXNF03XT5Z989
  • Options
    We used Dr. Brown's with our first and had no issues at all. A lot of people say they don't like them because they have so many parts, but after the first few weeks of cleaning by hand, I started throwing them in the dishwasher and it worked just fine! Considering trying the Tommee Tippee bottles this time around. Have a friend who just used them for her little one and loved them. 
  • Options
    laj0217laj0217 member
    My SIL ordered us a dishwasher basket to hold all the small bottle parts and pacifiers. Im super excited about it - is this how I know I’m old lol? We also just replaced our dishwasher and my husband picked it out (he’s the cook in the family). He chose one with a bottle washing feature, so excited to see how that works out. 
  • Options
    I will also not have a dishwasher so we are getting a counter top bottle sterilizer. I have recieved alot of different samples of bottles so I am going to try out what we have before settling on one. 

Also right now Kiinde is giving away starter packs to attach directly to your pump (just pay the shipping cost). I am excited to see how these work. 

https://kiinde.com/

• Options
    pangolindromepangolindrome member
    edited May 2022
    I just realized that the Spectra 2 I ordered comes with its own bottles and nipples. Does anyone have experience with those?

@mamamoomoo12 Well hot dang. That would be intriguing, but if I like it... I would have to commit to buying bags, right? 
  • Options
    @laj0217 I have a dishwasher with the bottle jets and the hidden third drawer and it's been great the couple times we actually did use it for bottles. The drawer is great for children's utensils! 
    DD 10/2019
  • Options
    @mamamoomoo12 do you have to sign in to find the deal?
  • Options
    DD 10/2019
  • Options
    @pangolindrome I had the spectra s2 and I liked the bottles ok, but nipples not so much.

If nothing has changed, the Phillips Avent bottles are also compatible and fit the pump - something to consider if you need additional bottles that are probably a little easier to find than the spectra ones and I think possibly cheaper… at least at the time they were.
  • Options
    @dsmith211 Those are what I used with my Spectra S2 as well. The bonus is that buybuyBaby and Target have Avent bottles in their registry bags, so we added them to our collection for free.
    DD 10/2019
  • Options
    @trapperkeeper87 Thank you! I lost the exact link since they caught me through instagram! 
  • Options
    I preferred the spectra bottles over the grab bag Avent ones because the avent ones didn't hold as much I think they were like 4 oz compared to 5 with the spectra? I also liked the lid stops that come with the spectra bottles to contain the milk. Using them as a bottle, it was one of the 20 bottles my kids would not use. 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    @jhysmath I loved those stoppers on the Spectra bottles, and would sometimes interchange them. But my daughter didn't like the nipple for actual feeding. She wasn't real picky, but that is one she could never properly latch on. I think you're right about them being bigger, though. After a while I switched to the tall Dr. Brown's for temp milk storage, but it was a lot of transferring between things. I'm a SAHM so it wasn't a huge deal, but yeah, lots of bottle washing in those early days.
    DD 10/2019
  • Options
    @trapperkeeper87 I stored in mason jars for temp storage, but I don't think I could have pumped into mason jars at least never read about it. 
  • Options
    @jhysmath Yeah, I'd be curious to see a solution for that. I think it would be a great option for so many women!
    DD 10/2019
  • Options
    I used Dr Browns for my first and will use them again. All the parts could be a pain for sure
  • Options
    melyraemelyrae member
    A friend recommended bottle microwave sterilizer bags. Anyone have any reviews on those? Honestly seems like the easiest option- $1-$2 per bag. Buy em in a pack. Pop em in the microwave with some water and voila! They can be used like 20 times each so not awful but not great for the environment… 
    I was going to go with that but would love any feedback !!
  • Options
    @melyrae I'm sure they're perfectly safe but I never liked the idea of putting plastic that my baby would be using in the microwave. Even "microwave safe" plastic containers get ruined after too many times in the microwave. The dishwasher gets hot also but at least they're not getting nuked in the dishwasher 😅
  • Options
    @melyrae - I used these occasionally and had no issues at all with them! I normally just threw everything in the dishwasher, but once a week or so, I'd sterilize everything in those bags. 
    With that being said, I'm probably the least "crunchy" person in this world, so if those things concern you, just take my advice with a grain of salt. haha
  • Options
    What temp is needed for sterilizing bottles? I feel like our RV is pretty optimal in water temp because there’s no temp limiter so you’ll scald your skin straight off if you’re not careful 🤣 
  • Options
    laj0217laj0217 member
    I feel like I read somewhere that you only need to sterilize bottles before the first use and then after that it’s okay to wash them regularly unless they like sit out and get nasty or get dropped in a puddle or something. Is this true or false?
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    @laj0217 there are a lot of different opinions on that depending on who you ask. 100% true when using brand new bottles that you need to sterilize. They also recommend sterilizing after illness if your baby had a cold/stomach bug or something, and also need to sterilize for preemies because their immune systems are non-existent and you need to be extra cautious that they don’t catch anything. Other than that… I also read that daily sterilization isn’t required. But I feel it also depends on ok are you using the bottle once or twice a week or are you exclusively pumping or formula feeding and your bottles are being used day and night? 
    My personal experience: my MIL was an NICU nurse her whole life so she was paranoid about bottle sterilizing and as a FTM who was sleep deprived and barely functioning, I listened to her and sterilized them by BOILING (old school right?) every damn day. I was so clueless that I didn’t even know a sterilizing machine or sterilizing bags existed 🤯 keep in mind I also had my baby in the dead of winter and Covid lockdowns started a couple of months later. So the isolation didn’t help. But then I read stuff similar to what you wrote and was like f* it, I’m not boiling these anymore and would put my bottles in a large bowl of water and dish soap to soak and then washed thoroughly and dried on a clean towel at the end of the day. My baby didn’t get sick from that at all. But again, I only bottle fed to supplement and wasn’t doing it day and night all the time. I might’ve been wrong… but that’s how I did it. 

ETA: if my baby needs bottles for one reason or another, I will NOT be boiling again 😅 and will definitely buy a sterilizing machine if my baby uses them regularly. 
  • Options
    @laj0217 I sterilized when I got our bottles and then about once a week washed them in the dishwasher on high heat (the rest of the time I just washed in the sink), since they were going back and forth between daycare. But that’s all I ever did and never had any problems.
  • Options
    @laj0217 Everything @newbabymama27 said is spot on. Basically, sterilize before the first use (same with pacifiers), and then only bother if the bottles are left unwashed for more than a day, your kid is sick, or the bottles are hand me downs. But also, if you have a preemie or a baby who gets sick a lot, more frequent sterilization isn't a bad idea at all.

It's also a good idea to sterilize any pump parts you use fairly regularly. We did mine once a month, but I only pumped once or twice a day. If you'll be pumping more often, it's worth considering getting on a more frequent schedule. Even if your pump is a closed system - mine was - it's better to be safe than sorry as milk has lots of tiny places to hide within pump parts. 

@newbabymama27 My husband prefers the boil method! 😄 We have bags for this next go around, and also a microwaving sterilization... thing... so I'm sure he'll go that route this next time.
    DD 10/2019
  • Options
    This is all great to know! As a FTM I didn’t know how picky they might be for bottles - I’ll remove the larger multipacks from my registry and add some more variety of single bottles to try. I want to aim for one bottle feed a day for my partner to do, and the rest breastfeeding - I didn’t even consider that there were nipples designed for babies also breastfeeding! Also, good to know on the sterilisation stuff, I might get those microwave bags too as we don’t use the dishwasher more than one a week (for now haha) 
  • Options
    laj0217laj0217 member
    Thanks all! I think the new dishwasher has a sterilize option - maybe I should actually look at what the hubby picked 😂 I also put the sterilization pump part bags on my registry. Didn’t think to use them with bottles or pacifiers, but makes sense! I know myself, though, and boiling after that first time is a tall order once I’m back at work. Totally doable on an as needed basis or once a week though!
  • Options
    @trapperkeeper87 hahaha ok I literally thought we were the only ones boiling because anyone I told this to they’re like “..but why?” 🤣 that was just way too much work when we were supplementing after every feed! And our dishwasher doesn’t fill up fast enough so I doubt I’ll use it for that. Maybe I’ll look into the microwave bags you guys are talking about if we won’t use the bottles too often. 
  • Options
    Why is boiling so much work? Don't you just take it apart, stick it in a pot, and rinse after boiling?
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    @pangolindrome you have to take apart all the bits, make sure they’re submerged at all times (they want to float instead), watch the timer and make sure your pot doesn’t overboil. So you gotta stand and do all this. I’d often have to do two rounds too because I don’t have a pot big enough for it all. It’s not so bad unless you’re sleep deprived, hungry, and have a screaming baby in your arms… which happened a lot those days 😅
  • Options
    @newbabymama27 Thank you for explaining. That is definitely worse. I am also wondering why washing the bottles by hand wouldn't be sufficient to keep them clean if you do a good job. We've been handwashing our dishes since 2016ish, so I figured that would be what we do.