October 2022 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight: Bottles

This week is all about bottles!

What did you like/dislike?

glass, silicone, plastic. 

bottle accessories that you recommend, avoid, etc. Share you knowledge and experience or ask your questions. 

Re: Product Spotlight: Bottles

• Options
    Last go round we did the como tomo silicone one. With my first we did Medela bottles. We rarely ever used bottles which was a huge mistake. I bounced back so quickly after my first I thought exclusively BF and not using a bottle would help with the extra weight with the next two...it did not. Lol I did really like the caps that allowed you to mark which day/time the pump was from instead of having to write anything down. 
    As a nanny I used every bottle under the sun. I hate dr. Brown bottles with a fiery passion. I understand they help but the kid I nannied for didn't have any reason to use those except they got them as gifts. I hated all the pieces. I will say I loved the boon grass bottle rack for drying pacifiers and bottle parts. We also had a microwave sterilizer for emergencies. 
  • Options
    We loved the Avent naturals bottles. Like @krysnicole1022, I hated the Dr. Brown's bottles because of all the pieces. Just way too much work. We also had the boon grass drying rack and loved it.
    TTC History
    Me: 35 DH: 34
    Married 07/2012
    DD born 07/2014
    DD2 born 10/2018
    DS born 10/2022

IF history:
    TTC #2 since January 2016
    June-Aug 2017: 3 IUIs w/Clomid = BFN
    Sept 2017: Dx w/Endometriosis
    Oct 2017: IUI w/Letrozole = BFN
    Nov 2017: IUI w/Letrozole = BFN
    Dec 2017: pre-IVF testing
    Jan-Feb 2018: IVF--17 eggs retrieved, 13 fertilized, 9 frozen and 1 transferred on 2/10 = BFP on 2/19!!! EDD 10/29/2018
    FET Oct 2021: BFP on 10/31! MC at 5 weeks
    FET Feb 2022: BFP on 2/15! EDD 10/29/22

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    pangolindromepangolindrome member
    edited May 2022
    @krysnicole1022 How do you know if the cap allows you to mark day/time? That sounds really helpful!
  • Options
    bows22bows22 member
    I won’t be much help here because DD had a cleft palate (related to other issues) and had to use a special bottle. However, her bottle did have a bunch of pieces and I’m excited to be able to (hopefully) have less pieces to clean this time around! Since I had to exclusively pump with her, I’m planning to give that a shot again.
  • Options
    https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07SY1NBT5/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_B81V5XTX8DC81SA6Q8CW

Some of the caps in this allow you to change the day and then you click it towards morning/afternoon/night. I wish I hadn't given all of mine away because I thought we were done. They came in handy! 
  • Options
    KGETS86KGETS86 member
    Don’t set yourself on a specific bottle would be my best advice. My oldest wasn’t overly picky, because he was a NICU baby, so had a bottle from day 1 to get his weight and blood sugar up. 
    My daughter was the pickiest. We landed on Nuk Simply Natural. I also waited too long to introduce the bottle, which didn’t help. 
    With my 3rd, the LC suggested introducing a bottle between 4 and 6 weeks. He was once again picky and also landed on the Nuk Simply Natural (it has multiple holes to help simulate how milk is extracted while breastfeeding). 

This go around, I’m trying the sample pack from Babylist. That way I’m not spending a ton on multiple bottle types. 

Another thing my LC told me: if you’re breastfeeding, you should keep the slow flow nipple, regardless of age, because it best simulates the breastfeeding experience. Not sure if all LC’s would agree, but my kids have never complained with staying with the slow flow. 
  • Options
    pangolindromepangolindrome member
    edited May 2022
    @KGETS86 As of this thread, I have read... so much about bottles. I had no idea it was this much of a science. I am definitely looking at the sampler from Babylist. Also, I read a lot of complains about the ComoTomo and Avent, but then people were saying that the complaints about slow flow are because the ones they were talking about were nipples for breastfed babies - which is just like what I believe you just said!

Y'all, yesterday was a big day for me :D I did me a big ol' learn.
  • Options
    Yeah I bought exactly one comotomo for my exclusively BF baby and he really never took a bottle. I think slow flow was a mistake for me because I usually have an oversupply and it comes out so fast to the point the they throw everything back up. I'm starting a bottle earlier this time. He would get super mad when trying the bottle because it would take too long. 
  • Options
    @krysnicole1022 That is interesting to know. I know it is way off in the distance at this point, but I am curious to experience this for myself and see what our baby does. 
    I know for a fact that as a baby, I wanted to eat at all times of day AND I really hated pacifiers from the get-go. Here's to hoping my kid doesn't take after me in that way :sweat_smile:
  • Options
    mia80mia80 member
    We tried a couple different bottles when my son was young (got them from Toys R Us when we signed up for the gift registry) and he liked the Dr Browns bottles best, so that's what we used!  They were a little annoying with all the parts, and I have no idea why, but when he was like 6-10 months they leaked all the time (they don't now), but they seemed to work the best for him.  I've also heard people say they're good for gassy babies too. 

• Options
    KGETS86KGETS86 member
    @krysnicole1022 I’d have to hand express a bit before nursing my daughter because of my oversupply for that very reason. But once the initial letdown was over, and evened out a bit for them. The perk of the Nuk was that it has at least 3 holes, so it did better mimic that. I wish more bottles offered that nipple type. 
  • Options
    I had to do the same. It sucked. I had a whole routine that was so time consuming that nursing took way longer than it should. Lots of breaks and burping.
  • Options
    @pangolindrome if this baby decides to like pacifiers, he will be my first of my kids to do so.