1st Trimester

Am I having a blighted ovum?

I’m currently 7w1d pregnant I went in for a scan yesterday. During the scan I was told that I had an empty gestational sac had no fetus or yolk sac. It measured 9mm. I was in hospital today and had bloods done my hcg levels came back at 13,237. Is there any chance that the scan there was a medical error and that I could still be pregnant due to the fact my hcg is so high? Please could you leave some comments on what this sounds like I really need some advise on this all. I’m going into hospital tomorrow morning to get another scan as the first one was at a private clinic and I just have a feeling that they messed it up.

Answers

• No one can really know… have you talked to your doctor? We’re you monitoring, so you know when you ovulated? 
  • Yeah I am I’m going for a scan in an hour. Honestly this is so heartbreaking I thought this would be my rainbow baby
  • Loading the player...
  • I know when I ovulated as well they said it could be that I’m too early on but because my hcg is so high they should be able to see something
  • I went through a blighted ovum 3 years ago. I’m so sorry this is happening to you ❤️ 
  • Had a scan this morning and they couldn’t see anything however it has grown 1mm in 2 days and is perfectly round and has a good thick lining. Will be going for a scan in a week to see if anything has grown if not then it confirms a blighted ovum
  • 2 days isn’t enough time! I would give it at least 2 more weeks if you’re early to have another scan done. Make sure you ask what the mean sac diameter of the gestational sac is! They shouldn’t be diagnosing a blighted ovum until the gestational  mean sac diameter is more than 25 mm large without a yolk sac present.
  • I had a blighted ovum and my HCG was quite high. I had no indication before ultrasound anything was wrong, was still having nausea, etc. We did ultrasound at 8w and again at 9w to confirm but the gestational sac was quite large with yolk sac but no fetus.