December 2022 Moms

Cold/Flu in Early Pregnancy

A cold or flu has been going through my house. My daughter, several days later my son, a few days later my husband and now me. They’ve been having lots of tea and honey, soup, and cold medicines/Vicks. I googled cold/flu in pregnancy to see what I can do or use to alleviate symptoms and the first thing that comes up is that it is linked to birth defects if it’s early in pregnancy. Like that big text “answer” they snippet from a site. The next few results are pregnancy association articles - I really wish they would’ve selected one of those to cite. It says it was more the fever that is linked to it, so now I’m vigilantly watching for fever and I’m anxious. 

I hate google. 

Re: Cold/Flu in Early Pregnancy

• hspghspg member
    @babette-ate-oatmeal I feel your anxiety! I work in a school and as soon as I got my BFP I heard the flu was going around. I've been keeping my classroom windows open for ventilation and am just so worried about getting a fever. I picked up some Tylenol yesterday since, to my knowledge, that is a pregnancy friendly fever reducer. This is my first pregnancy so I'll definitely be calling the doc before I take anything. Hopefully won't need it and I'll pray that you don't spike a fever either ❤️
  • Yes, a high fever (over 102 or 103) and dehydration are the two big worries  with cold/flu during pregnancy. Rest, drink lots of fluids, and take Tylenol if your temp creeps up. Google really does suck sometimes. I hope your whole household feels better soon!