1st Trimester
Options

Finding the Right Hospital

While narrowing down the search for the right OB, we realized we need to start thinking about which hospital we want to give birth in. While still being in my first trimester, I’m not telling anyone else just yet. So I haven’t asked too many friends or family for suggestions. 

Are all my fellow new mamas out there looking for their closest hospital or a hospital that has more of the experience you want? Meaning, is anyone choosing a hospital that’s a bit of a drive per your experience preference? 

Re: Finding the Right Hospital

• Options
    We picked a hospital that is about 20 minutes away versus one that is 5 minutes away. The hospital that was further out does baby rooming in, plus you stay in one room the whole time, etc. Their medical staff is also very highly rated. I found out a ton of information about their maternity ward and practices in their website. While it's comforting to know there's a hospital nearby for emergencies I know I will feel better at the further away one. My clinic is down the block from the hospital too so if something came up at an appointment it will be easy to transfer to hospital. 
  • Options
    I'm choosing the hospital that is an hour and 30 mins away. It sucks because I live in a small town and the hospital in town sucks ass, no offense. Then again on the downside, I gotta make plans beforehand if I do ever go into labor too soon. I'm also looking for a female doctor because they seem to be more understanding and caring than most of the males doctors. I once had an old man who was about to be retired and he never seemed like he wanted to go to work. During my 1st labor the old man rushed me even though it was my 1st pregnancy and I was only in labor for two hours. Then he rushed out of the room leaving the door opened and at the time my in laws were outside waiting so they saw my everything. I was so pissed. I will never invited anyone to visit me again.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Try touring the L&D units. Ask if they have wireless fetal monitoring - can you labor outside of bed before the epidural? Or are you stuck in bed? What level NICU/Nursery do they have? If you need a higher level, how do they transport the baby? Can you go with your baby or would it be baby alone? Do they offer other pain management options beyond epidurals (ie nitrous oxide?). How many patients do they typically have at once? My work is in healthcare administration, so I'm a bit picky. We live in a city so we have options. I selected my OB partially based on deliver location as well. 
  • Options
    I've tentatively picked a hospital--meaning this is my first pregnancy and I went to my first prenatal visit and they're attached to a hospital where I can deliver. It's in network and website looks pretty good. But after I announce my pregnancy, I'll talk to my sisters who are moms and nurses.