Baby Names

Alabama???

I’ve been looking around for names and I do prefer what some people would call “weird names”. I’ve come across Alabama, I know a lot of people don’t like place names but im falling in love with it for a little girl. Travis barker named his daughter Alabama years ago and I think that’s how the name came into the mainstream. I do also like other state/city names like Memphis (which would be for a boy) For a girl there’s also Georgia which is obviously a state but that is more of a classic old name that has been used for decades as appose to a “trendy name” like Alabama. I also adore the nickname “Bama”
I’m also from the south so there is a link although I’m not from Alabama I’m from Mississippi and it dosent work as good for a name as Alabama does😂 I would just like to hear peoples thoughts? Middle name will be reign

Re: Alabama???

• Considering you’re asking for thoughts, mine are that that is a horrible choice. It makes you and your potential child sound uneducated and may not translate well on a resume. Also, considering you like the nn Bama, imagine the reputation or teasing that could come of it in HS. Definitely not my style. Sorry. 
  • Sorry, but HORRID!

You can do much better!  

Qfp
    I’ve been looking around for names and I do prefer what some people would call “weird names”. I’ve come across Alabama, I know a lot of people don’t like place names but im falling in love with it for a little girl. Travis barker named his daughter Alabama years ago and I think that’s how the name came into the mainstream. I do also like other state/city names like Memphis (which would be for a boy) For a girl there’s also Georgia which is obviously a state but that is more of a classic old name that has been used for decades as appose to a “trendy name” like Alabama. I also adore the nickname “Bama”
    I’m also from the south so there is a link although I’m not from Alabama I’m from Mississippi and it dosent work as good for a name as Alabama does😂 I would just like to hear peoples thoughts? Middle name will be reign

I
  • Loading the player...
  • Alabama Reign? Like Alabama rain? Have you been to Alabama? Don’t name your kid after it. Stick with Georgia or Virginia or Montana or anything else.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Please no - any state/place name with the the middle name "Reign" is going to be awkward. And, I'm sorry, but "Bama" is a horrible nickname for a child. 
    Want something southern - what about Magnolia, Scarlet, Amaryllis? 
  • Recommending Delta, Jackson, Hattie, or Laurel for “weird place names representing Mississippi.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • I really dislike this name and nickname Bama. I like Georgia as more of a classic name. 
  • I’m so sorry to agree with the other posters. I know how it feels to love a name and have people dislike it but it helped me to keep in mind how the world would see / hear her name going forward. I tried to balance my likes with the outside feedback. There are so many amazing names!
  • Sorry, but I totally agree it’s everyone else. Especially since you don’t have a deep connection to Alabama. I’m from Georgia (grew up about 8 miles from the Alabama line) and the Alabama jokes are staggering here. Think of your poor daughter applying to jobs with the first thing people seeing is “Alabama” on her resume! Like, did she get her address confused with her name? Oh, no, he name is actually Bama. 

I think if you like the name Alabama, try out Ariana (same number of syllables, same sounds), Adeline (starts with an A, sounds oldschool but cute), Georgia or Arizona (still states, more understood as names). Think about what you like about “Alabama” and go with that feel.