October 2022 Moms

Pregnant After Loss (PGAL) Check-In April

**Note: TW for entire thread due to discussion of MC and loss.**

Hi PGAL moms. In light of the interest in resurrecting the PGAL check-ins and since we lost a fellow Oct 22 member to MC just recently, I wanted to create our check-in before the month is over. 

Feel free to put milestones, big appointments, questions, worries, loss anniversaries, or anything else on your mind here. 

Re: Pregnant After Loss (PGAL) Check-In April

• Thank you so much for continuing this thread!  

I am 14w5d today and this stretch has been my longest without a medical check-in/scan (a little over a month).  As symptoms decrease due to second trimester and I'm still not showing I've been pretty anxious for my next appointments to come and hear everything is okay.  I was looking forward to a lot of social distractions this month, but my doctor advised me to cancel plans including large indoor gathering as a COVID precaution so I've had a lot more time to sit and think all my anxious thoughts.

How is everyone else doing?  How are you staying distracted or just positively focused?
  • I'm a mess. I'm completely focused on my previous losses and am having a hard time just functioning over it. Usually I distract myself with projects but I'm just so completely exhausted that I can't. I'm essentially just living in fear. I think part of it is that this is it for me. Before I got pregnant this time I told my husband I was done if I had another miscarriage because it's too much. I can't continue on like this month after month and loss after loss. It does put extra pressure on this final pregnancy. My kids are so excited and I'm just waiting. My husband is trying to keep his excitement and awe in check. He loves me pregnant. It's really very cute. But I can't seem to prepare for anything even though I'm a planner.
  • Loading the player...
  • @EmilyE13 I'm feeling the same way. I keep trying to convince myself that thus far everything has been okay but I'm just completely consumed with the "what ifs" and I'm having a hard time. I messaged my doc and the nurse told me they don't do ultrasounds but I can go ahead and ask at my next appointment. I was asking in advance so I would know whether or not I was going to get one. I don't see the harm as I will be paying for it as part of my deductible. 
  • I’m having a super hard time. Had spotting and bleeding, and ended up in the ER because of it. They saw a hb but “couldn’t” play it in sound form. I think that’s honestly a bunch of bs. My next appointment is next Friday, but I seriously just don’t “feel” pregnant. No amount of reassuring seems to be helping. 
  • @jilliboo I seem to have some trauma from all the bleeding from miscarriages and early in this pregnancy. I try not to go to the bathroom because I am afraid there will be blood. Every cramp freaks me out. I guess I didn't realize how much the miscarriages we're affecting me because I was just so focused on getting pregnant the next time. I also just don't feel pregnant. I don't think I can allow myself to feel pregnant. It's too much. I have a Doppler but with my tilted uterus it makes getting a heartbeat nearly impossible so I just don't touch it because it increases my anxiety. 
    I was not like this with my previous three babies. Even my second one which was a threatened miscarriage wasn't this bad emotionally for me. I had twice weekly ultrasounds and by the time I stopped bleeding she was kicking so I had that reassurance. Nothing is making me feel better. I LOOK pregnant but I don't FEEL pregnant. Like this is all some elaborate joke my body is playing on me. I will be discussing this with my doctor because she's been very understanding but the nurses have to deal with all the calls about this and aren't very understanding. 
  • @krysnicole1022 some of the nurses are the worst!!! That’s how I feel!!!! I don’t have a Doppler, but if I did, I would be using it multiple times a day. So much trauma from MC. 
  • @jilliboo my appointment is tomorrow and I'm really hoping my OB listens. My high stress behaviors are starting to kick in and I don't feel like that's good for anyone. 
  • Update: I went in for my appointment and the nurse was pretty dismissive of my anxiety and I even explained the Doppler wouldn't ease that. I had like two drops of bright red blood last night and explained the spiral it set me on with my history. I heard the nurse go and explain this to my doctor and I heard her say "please take the ultrasound in there for me. She needs to see the baby." Baby was very active and measuring a full week ahead at 15+2 when I'm 14+2. I go back in next week for a follow up. That will at least only put three weeks between me and my next appointment. I also get to book my MFM 20 week scan.
  • mia80mia80 member
    Hi PGAL ladies!  I just posted an introduction in that thread, but didn't say much about previous losses. This is my fifth pregnancy, with one live child (an 18 month old son).  We dealt with unexplained infertility, and all my pregnancies have been through IVF. Our first loss was a missed miscarriage at 12 weeks, then we had an early miscarriage at 6 weeks, our son, and a loss at 7.5 weeks. This was our last embryo and we had both said that whatever happened we were done after this. Overall, I'd say I've felt less anxiety this pregnancy than previous ones and I think part of that is because I'm already a mom now, and had made peace with our son being an only child before we transferred. BUT I've got a peri-gestational hematoma and have been spotting on and off for 5 weeks now.  So I think partly I've just been expecting to miscarry again and haven't gotten too invested in this pregnancy yet.  HOWEVER, I'm 12+5 now, and I've heard/seen the heartbeat 5 times now, so I'm starting to think this might actually happen. 

Now if only I could just stop bleeding that would be great.... 
  • @krysnicole1022 I’m so glad you got to see your baby! Really hope this eases some of your worry. 

@mia80 welcome! It’s not a group anyone wants to be a part of, but the fellow PGAL moms here are really supportive. 
  • I decided to start a registry in an attempt to take some control. The only downside is that all I really need are breast pump accessories. I have just about everything else we could possibly need. Eventually I will add more personal stuff once we know the sex of the baby but until then I'll stick with breastfeeding stuff. 
  • Hi everyone! It’s been a rough week for me, though no concrete reason why. My due date for my ectopic pregnancy was Monday so I just felt weird all day, like in the twilight zone or something. And I know this pregnancy is different right off the bat because it’s in the right place but grief does strange things to your mind. Had an appointment Tuesday and they thankfully agreed to do a peace of mind scan for me since I don’t feel sick or anything anymore but I don’t feel movement yet either. Im currently 15w and baby was measuring right on target and squirming around, so I don’t know why I still feel anxious. I’m planning on announcing on social media later today and all I can think is ‘what if’ - like somehow acknowledging this pregnancy would jinx something. As if letting myself be happy about it and plan anything is just asking for misfortune. I just know that it’s getting harder to hide it even with baggy clothes, so if I want people to know on my terms, rather than my body giving me away, I’ll have to be brave and say it myself. It’s just so nerve-wracking.
  • @robbinsegg317 I felt the anniversary pain too <3 Hope you took care of yourself.

I feel the same way - that at some I'm going to have to break the news to everyone that things didn't work out.  i have no reason to believe that, things have been going fine this pregnancy, but I can't escape that anxiety.  I have a couple of friends who are also pregnant and I get so angry/jealous that they're able to just enjoy it and plan and look forward to the baby coming. 
  • @robbinsegg317 and @sandy5693 I hate that you both are feeling this way but I can absolutely relate. We actually aren't announcing anything until after delivery. I'm telling like six friends and we aren't telling anyone in our families (we aren't close to either side). I can't deal with the anxiety of it all so I'm giving myself a break and just not doing it. 
     The due date of my first miscarriage is the second week of May. I'm already dreading it but I'm hoping I'll feel more consistent movement between now and then. It's going to be rough the next few months. Each miscarriages due date is a month after the previous except for July (May, June, August, and September). Those dates are ingrained into me. I'm hoping I'll be able to keep myself busy. I can't bring myself to trust that this is going to be okay 
  • I’ve been having the same thoughts and rehearsing what I will say to the people who know if something goes wrong. To make matters worse, a “friend” at my CrossFit gym took it upon herself to tell a bunch of people that I’m expecting. I wasn’t hiding it there but was taking the opportunity to tell people myself. I was furious when I heard she was telling people like somehow it was her news to share. 
  • That's absolutely not okay. It's not her place to tell people. 
  • @krysnicole1022 this is a very on brand move for her, so I don’t know why I’m surprised. But I’m irritated as hell. 
  • @EmilyE13 I've actually had people do this in previous pregnancies after I specifically asked them not to. I just don't understand why someone thinks it's their news to share. 
  • Hi Ladies, how is everyone doing? @jilliboo how are things going ?

I am doing ok. I lost my son at 16 weeks from a placental abruption. I am currently 15 weeks so this is a high stress time frame for me.

I have been getting weekly u/s which has been nice to have the reassurance. In between u/s i do end up spiraling. I see a therapist once a week- i am working dealing with OCD brought on by anxiety- so that is taking a lot of self realization and work . I also have normal OCD (i have discovered) but the anxiety OCD comes with intrusive thoughts and detrimental patterns of behavior. I know that this type of OCD carries into new motherhood so i am trying to make sure the tools are in place for later on ad well.
      One of the things i am trying to cut back on is forums so i am only off and on here.  
    The other thing im working on is moving physical which is hard because i feel to “fragile “‘ to do anything else- does anyone else feel that way? I want to do yoga and swim but im just afraid it might hurt the baby. 
  • @relizabethp of course you're a wreck. I would be also. Shoot I am. I think pregnancy loss screws with you no matter when but especially when it occurs into the alleged "safe zone". You should be rpoud of yourself for seeking out help early. That's amazing. I'm glad you have weekly US but I would probably be a mess by the next day. That's how I am until I feel the baby kicking. 
     If it's going to cause you increased anxiety then maybe hold off until after 16 weeks and your next US. Swimming is so good for your body and so low impact that you should absolutely do that when you feel up to it. I struggle with yoga because it's boring but I know how beneficial it is so I keep trying. Maybe just start with short walks and nothing high impact? I'm used to doing a lot of cardio and I just can't these days. It freaks me out so I switched to gentler stuff. Beginner prenatal Pilates is supposed to be low impact but phenomenal for your body.
  • @krysnicole1022 thank you for your kind words. I have been walking which has been nice - i am hoping i can have a friend start swimming with me so i have someone to help motivate me. Also when the outdoor neighbor hood pool opens i think ill be more willing to go . I am nervous about the pilates and yoga because of the core usage but I really want to stretch. 
  • I absolutely understand that.
  • @relizabethp we’re completely here for you. Getting close to loss-iversaries is extremely difficult. My losses have been early but I also know too many people with late term loss to ever feel like I can relax, except when I’m in the moment feeling my baby move or seeing them on the screen. Only do what feels comfortable, but light exercise is really therapeutic and you can take comfort in knowing you’re doing something healthy for you and your baby. I absolutely love swimming while pregnant and can’t wait for our neighborhood pool to open for just that reason. 
  • I just booked my 20 week with Maternal Fetal Medicine. It isn't until 6/1 but at least there is a date to look forward to. I have an appointment next Wednesday and then on May 19 I believe. If spring ever hits I'll hopefully be busy with projects and the time will fly. That is all I theory because I'm so tired all the time I'm not sure how I'll ever get anything done. Haha.
  • mia80mia80 member
    It's now been 6 weeks of spotting/bleeding from my stupid perigestational hematoma and I think I'm going to loose my mind!!!! 

I'm 13+6 today, so it's officially the last day of my first trimester, and I'm starting to show, which are both good things.  We've started telling people about this pregnancy in the last two weeks, BUT I still catch myself and DH saying 'if' a lot (like 'if' the baby comes, 'if' I'm still pregnant, etc etc).  It's weird, but I seem to have MORE anxiety now than I did a couple weeks ago! And the bleeding is making things worse. I'll go 3 days with nothing and start to feel 'safe', and then it starts again. My OB said there's nothing we can do, and she doesn't want to do another ultrasound until 20 weeks now, so we're just doing appointments every two weeks where I can at least hear the heartbeat. Uggghhhhhh 

Anyhow, that's my rant for today... just slowing going crazy over here...
  • @mia80 honestly they should be checking via ultrasound. Even if it is just for your peace of mind because a stressed out mama is no good. My OB does a quick in office scan because she knows I'm losing my shit even when I see one drop. 
    I also say "IF" even to my kids. I can't help it. 
  • mia80mia80 member
    @krysnicole1022 I've had about 5 ultrasounds already, but my OB would prefer just to do doppler going forward because the ultrasounds aren't showing anything different. TBH I'm okay with just hearing the hearbeat, but at the same time it would be nice to know if the hematoma is getting smaller or what's going on!!

• I just like seeing the growth progress each week so I'm pro ultrasound at this stage. 
  • @relizabethp I’m doing ok. No US at 16 wks, but Doppler helped. Spotting has lessened but still present. I hate having a weird uterus. Put on low dose anxiety meds to see if they help a bit. Can’t wait for the kicking to start. 
  • @jilliboo are you going in weekly for confirmation? I am glad you got to hear the baby - i am
    also waiting to feel the baby- I think it will help overall. 
  • It's my first time posting here. I had 2 losses last year and now I'm nearly 16 weeks with my third. I have an appointment tomorrow morning, but have felt so anxious about it. The second loss was found at our first ultrasound and, at our 12-week appointment for this one, they couldn't find the heartbeat with the doppler. I had an US and everything was great....but that fear is so real. Is anxiety around appointment time pretty typical? Will it last forever? I keep telling myself, once I feel baby or see her stick out more, I will feel better. But will I? 
  • @totallyshawesome2020 I absolutely get anxious before each and every appointment. 
  • @totallyshawesome2020 for me, PGAL brain never really goes away. Just like @krysnicole1022 I get anxious before every appointment. Mine is tomorrow morning, too, and I’m freaking out. I hope you have a wonderful and uneventful appointment, though, and that we can both post on here with some sighs of relief afterward!
  • @EmilyE13 how did it go? We had to have another ultrasound because baby's heartbeat was illusive, but no complaints here. She's alive and well! <3
  • @totallyshawesome2020 I had to go back for an ultrasound, too, because they couldn’t find the heartbeat on doppler. I was bawling my eyes out and in a panic until we saw the baby on ultrasound and confirmed pretty much immediately that all was well. Not the most fun start to my week. 

I’m glad all turned out well for you!
  • @EmilyE13 @totallyshawesome2020
    how stressful for both of you! so happy things worked out fine.  hope you both treat yourself to something nice today <3
  • I’m thankful that I’ve been feeling slightly more secure this last week. I think announcing, while absolutely terrifying, made it seem more real to me. That this might actually happen. 

Although, I’m glad people are happy for me, but I almost get annoyed at the ‘are you excited?’ question I get. I know it’s just something people say to start conversation, but it gets on. my. nerves. Like what would they do if I told the truth and said not yet really, just living on hope and anxiety rn? And I know it’s just the beginning but ughhh.

Anxiously awaiting my anatomy scan May 17th and hoping to definitely feel movement by then. I keep wondering if I am feeling something and then just dismissing it because I’m just not sure. 
  • @robbinsegg317
    I definitely feel that way when people ask the "are you excited?" question - they also ask if I have started decorating the nursery, or planned my maternity leave, etc. and I'm frozen and don't know how to honestly respond that I am taking things one week at a time in full terror and anxiety.  I know it is a conversation starter and they want to show their own excitement, but it is so hard to respond genuinely.
  • mia80mia80 member
    edited May 2022
    @robbinsegg317 and @sandy5693 when people ask me questions like that, I've started just answering honestly. My husband and I dealt with infertility and multiple losses, and to be honest I'm just sick and tired of the intrusive questions, and I let people know that!!!  AND if it makes THEM feel awkward, well that's even better!! haha

So when someone asks if we're excited, I just say we're still nervous because of our three prior losses, but excited for the possibility. And if they ask another question I'll go full into 'this is our last embryo and based on my age and loss history it's our last chance, blah blah blah". It either opens up the door to educate people or lets them feel like they shouldn't have asked in the first place :)