December 2022 Moms
Options

Navigating social media

jcapor21jcapor21 member
edited April 2022 in December 2022 Moms
Good morning. I’m looking for any tips or suggestions on how to manage a grandparent who is addicted to sharing everything on social media. 

I don’t have a Facebook & post on Instagram 2-3 times a year.  My mother spends 24/7 on Facebook & her phone. She also thrives on spreading gossip (often malicious) & feels it’s okay to do so. I don’t want my pregnancy, labor and details all over the place. 

I know this discussion is going to cause issues, because she will compare my wishes to cousins or my friends who have a big social media presence. She is not a bad person and we have an otherwise good relationship, I just want my privacy & wishes respected. 

Has anyone successfully navigated this issue without turning it into a blow out fight? 

Re: Navigating social media

• Options
    We set rules regarding how and when we want our kid to be shared in social media. If grandparents don’t abide by the rules, we don’t send them pictures in the family text chain. If you see them often though, they might be taking photos on their own and that may be harder to manage if she won’t respect your wishes. 

Regarding over sharing of details - with our first, we told both sets of grandparents the rules (no sharing with others about the pregnancy until we say so, no letting others know when we’ve gone to the hospital, etc). If they break our rules, they won’t be in the know on future details until after the fact. 
    BabyFetus Ticker