June 2022 Moms

Post Partum Recommendations

As we get closer to the end/B-Day/fourth trimester, I thought it would be good to start a thread of recommendations of things to help during recovery and the newborn phase. I’m thinking things like best high waisted sweatpants, ideas for a nursing station, or the random stuff like saline drops for newborns. 

Re: Post Partum Recommendations

• @marionberry19 those are good tips from an experienced mama. What nipple cream and pump flange lube do you recommend? I exclusively pumped for 9 months with my daughter and it never even occurred to me!
  • Loading the player...
  • @idreamofginny I just used a tiny bit of lansinoh lanolin for both. I tried other ones and they sucked. I’m sure there’s probably something better out there but I did not find it. 
  • Following up on snacks is specifically snacks you can eat one handed. Applesauce in a pouch or a goghurt is a much better idea than stuff you have to use a spoon for.
    The best gift I got last time was an assortment of snacks 😂 granola bars, goldfish crackers, all that stuff was the best. 
  • KFrobKFrob member
    The breastfeeding hunger is like nothing I’ve ever experienced. I was ravenous. 

My favorite nipple cream was Bamboobies but it might be a personal thing and need trial and error.

I would set up diaper changing stations.  We had baskets with diapers, wipes, Butt Paste, and receiving blankets in our room and the living room. Side note that receiving blankets are the best use for everything purchase.  We use them to put down for diaper changes, burp clothes, and bibs. 
  • Oh if you’re cloth diapering make sure your diaper cream is cloth diaper friendly or else you will hate your life. 
  • Also I mentioned it above but it deserves its own post, saline drops for babies. 
    Babies obviously can’t blow and if they get stuffy it’s really one of the only things you can do. 
    I used it for other things too but pregnancy brain right now…
  • @marionberry19 I am glad you mentioned the breast pads. I forgot about them, so I ordered some now.
  • C-section recovery tip - try to walk as much as possible as hard as it may be once you’re able to do so. A friend recommended this with my first and I was so thankful to her. I just kept taking lapse around the maternity unit and my recovery was quicker than I expected. 

The shoosher is prob one of my favorite and most used items for the baby. 

Get measured for the pump to figure out the correct flange size. The standard 22/24 mm sizes don’t fit everyone. 

One thing I’ve learned myself is to not feel guilty saying no to visitors post partum. People mean well, but sometimes don’t know boundaries. It’s ok to to put yourself first, say you need rest/etc and ask for no visitors. Our general rule is only parents/siblings for the first 30 days and we’ll be even more strict with covid now. 
    ***History & TW in Spoiler***

***bfp & child warning***
    TTC - since 2014
    7 rounds of Clomid - BFN
    IUI #1 - October 2015 - BFN
    IUI #2 - November 2015 - BFN
    IUI #3 - December 2015 - BFN
    IVF #1 - March 2016
    Retrieval #1 - April 2016
    FET #1 - May 2016 - BFP!!! DS - Born January 2017
    Trying for baby #2...
    FET #2 - January 2018 - BFN  
    No more embryos left; switched to a new RE
    IVF/Retrieval #2 - January 2019
    IVF/Retrieval #3 - March 2019
    FET #3 - April 2019 - BFP!!! - DD: Born December 2019
    Trying for baby #3...
    FET #4 - October 2021 - BFP!!! - Due June 2022

• If it's your first, chances are you can buy sweatpants a size smaller than you think. With breastfeeding burning some calories, you'll likely go from (for instance) an XL to L much faster than you suspect.
    I hear the second pregnancy destroys you irreparably though. 
  • @mauvelousone oh how I wish this was the case. I gained so much weight while bf’ing my first because I was always hungry and snacking non stop. I didn’t gain as much with my second but my body proportioned differently during that pregnancy and after birth. I’m very scared to gain again after this baby because clearly breastfeeding has the opposite effect on my body :disappointed:
    ***History & TW in Spoiler***

***bfp & child warning***
    TTC - since 2014
    7 rounds of Clomid - BFN
    IUI #1 - October 2015 - BFN
    IUI #2 - November 2015 - BFN
    IUI #3 - December 2015 - BFN
    IVF #1 - March 2016
    Retrieval #1 - April 2016
    FET #1 - May 2016 - BFP!!! DS - Born January 2017
    Trying for baby #2...
    FET #2 - January 2018 - BFN  
    No more embryos left; switched to a new RE
    IVF/Retrieval #2 - January 2019
    IVF/Retrieval #3 - March 2019
    FET #3 - April 2019 - BFP!!! - DD: Born December 2019
    Trying for baby #3...
    FET #4 - October 2021 - BFP!!! - Due June 2022

• @Tulips29 every person who breastfeeds will have a different response and every pregnancy will as well and neither one is right or wrong. I was someone who dropped weight very quickly after birth and BF made me drop even more. But I’m not holding out the same expectations it’s going to happen the same way this time around. And honestly I wish it wouldn’t happen so fast, I got very skinny way too quickly (I am talking 2 months PP I dropped 14 lbs in one week). 
  • KFrobKFrob member
    edited April 2022
    @Tulips29 @mauvelousone @marionberry19 I dropped a ton of weight initially with each of my three and then stalled and never got back to prepregnancy weight and I breastfed all three. The first one I held onto around 7lbs. The second idk for sure bc I got pregnant with the third when she was only 9 months old. Now with the fourth I started almost 15lbs heavier than with the first. Granted, before the first I was in the best shape of my life and the third included an extra Covid 15 in weight gain.  Im a person who will hold onto a bunch of the weight until I’m done weaning.  But I would say the third for me was the one who destroyed me irreparably.  Also, even if you get back to prepregnancy weight your body shape might change and things might not fit the same way. All that to say, it’s different for everyone. I have a friend who lost a ton of weight while breastfeeding but then gained it all back when she weaned. 
  • I know pads are important during recovery. I was planning on using my Thinx period underwear instead. I have four of their largest absorption size. Does that seem like enough? Or conversely, is it worth it to just buy something else?
  • @pinkkillersheep I would say yes. The last time I went out an bought depends (more to shock my husband into taking recovery seriously than thinking I needed it) and I didn’t use them at all. I felt like I just had a regular period just lasting forever. So my only thing with having four pair of Thinx is the amount of washing you’ll have to do. The days blur together and you might want extra for backup. 
  • KFrobKFrob member
    @pinkkillersheep I think this another thing where it depends on the person and pregnancy.  I would say have giant pads on hand for the first week or so home and then from there you should probably be okay with period underwear.  I think I bled the most with my first but it lasted longer with each kid. 
  • marionberry19marionberry19 member
    edited April 2022
    @pinkkillersheep my sons departure from my body caused age to my bladder and I had the bladder control of a newborn after I had him along with severe bleeding so for me that would not cut it. I’m bringing my depends with me this time around. I’m not playing around hahah.