August 2022 Moms
Options

Am I a bad mom for not wanting a jr.?

Hey so i’m 21weeks and my boyfriend is telling me how i’m not thinking about his feelings because he wants a jr….. but honestly I would rather him have his own name. Am I a bad mom/ girlfriend for wanting my son to have his own name.

Re: Am I a bad mom for not wanting a jr.?

• Options
    Not at all! My husband wants the same, and I put my foot down early. We found out we are having a girl so it’s irrelevant, but I think it’s important for kids to have their own name and identity.
  • Options
    No way. I’m not open to that either. It’s important you both like the name. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Definitely not. You can always think about a family name for a middle, but there shouldn’t be this urgent need to reuse the same time and again!
  • Options
    My husband is a Jr and he does not love it! I think he thinks it’s almost infantilizing as a grown man. People call his dad “big Nick” and him “little Nick” even though he is the much bigger Nick now! We are having a boy and definitely not carrying on that tradition. You both need to love the name, Mama 
  • Options
    Not at all! My husband also wanted a Jr and I’m not into it… he didn’t seem too upset though. He said if we have a boy he’ll probably call him Jr regardless so it doesn’t make a big difference. I will note that if we do have a boy, the middle name will be my husbands name so there’s a bit of compromise there.