Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

D&C in 2 days and SCARED

Per the title, I'm schedule for a D&C under general anesthesia in two days. I'm terrified of the anesthesia (sedation with intubation) and SO worried about the procedure. Convinced myself it's all going to go wrong and I'm not going to wake up or end up with a hysterectomy bc of issues during procedure, etc. Otherwise, I'm also worried about the risks (perforations, scarring, etc.) as well....any words of wisdom/stories (all kinds welcome)??

Some back story to sum up what has been just an awful month:

My husband and I (both 35) finally decided we were ready to try for a baby (together for 15 yrs, married for 8). I dc'd BC at end of December (2021) and planned to just let things happen. We actually ended up getting pregnant in January (2022) with a positive test early February! We were SO surprised and excited (and nervous)! I had blood tests to confirm at 4W4D (hCG 159) and follow up a week later ar 5W5D (hCG 3,579) so things were looking good! We had our first appointment (a nurse appt to go over logistics, medical history, some bloodwork, etc.) at 6W5D. Then, finally, we had our first appt with our OB with an ultrasound at 8W5D! However, at that appt they had trouble finding a fetal pole and when they did it measured 5W6D. That's when everything changed. They did bloodwork and hCG was 78,570 but then two days later 68,367. We were crushed. They scheduled a confirmation ultrasound that following week at 9W4D where the embryo measured 6W1D (gestational sac measured 8W) and there was no HB. That day was devastating. We met with our OB two days later to go over options: 1)wait to miscarry naturally 2)take Cytotec or 3) D&C. We didn't want to wait for an undetermined amount of time for it to happen naturally and it had already been over 3 weeks since development stopped with no signs of my body realizing (still nauseous, fatigued, etc too). We didn't want to have surgery bc of the risks/long wait to TTC after and I had a traumatic experience with surgery when I was young. We opted for Cytotec (with Percocet)

First round (vaginally) at 10W1D: moderate cramping and bleeding about 8 hrs after first dose, then at 12 hrs passed a large egg sized clot/tissue. Mild bleeding/cramping for next 12 hrs then just spotting for next few days. FU ultrasound that next week showed RPOC, which was frustrating. We decided to try another round.

Second round (vaginally) at 11W1D: moderate cramping 4 hrs after first dose, then at 6 hrs later intense/painful cramping in uterus and back that came every 1-2 minutes and lasted 1 minute. Bleeding at 7 hrs after pills with the continued intense cramping. This lasted for another 4 hrs the slowed to moderate cramping/bleeding through the next day. Light bleeding/cramping next day then spotting days after. I was hopeful this round worked bc I felt different and nauseous/fatigue/tender breasts were gone. However at our FU there was still RPOC. Our doctor said it was very unlikely another round would work and recommend a D&C, which we scheduled for the next week at 12W4D (in 2 days now).

So, nearly 4 weeks after our first ultrasound where we discovered the terrible reality, two unpleasant rounds of Cytotec, three appointments/ultrasounds, and lots of stress/emotional turmoil later we need to have a D&C anyways.  Not to mention we're not really happy with our our OB handled everything (always seemed rushed, little compassion, and barely answering our questions, etc.).  This was both of our first pregnancy and so upset that it ended this way.  I am devastated, exhausted and terrified. I'm so angry that my body didn't figure out the loss on its own and then couldn't do what it needed to with help of the medication. I'm ready for the physical aspect to start to come closer to an end but at the same time incredibly sad about it. I'm really struggling emotionally, which I know will get better (never go away), but right now, I'm a mess.

All experiences/advice are welcome. Thanks in advance!

Re: D&C in 2 days and SCARED

• I don't have any experience to share but just want to wish you good luck with everything. It sounds like you have gone through a lot already and I'm sure nothing will go wrong with your D&C! I had to have an emergency csection in Feb for my first baby and everything had gone wrong leading up to it so I was genuinely terrified that something would go wrong with the csection, but I had wonderful nurses who reassured me it would be fine and it was. I'm so sorry to hear about your loss and I hope you stay strong!! and get a new OB maybe lol