December 2022 Moms
Options

Coping w/ Morning (24/7) Sickness

Creating this as a space to share tips for dealing with morning sickness. A few days ago (right around 6 weeks) the all day nausea and vomiting hit me like a bus. I can’t keep anything down, getting dehydrated, and vomiting 6-8 times a day. Already have lost about 7 pounds in the past 2ish weeks (had bad nausea before the vomiting started). I also have horrible dysgeusia so I constantly keep a bottle of mouthwash on hand. The only thing I’ve found to kind of help is nibbling on saltines if I can keep them down. I feel way worse in the later half of the day so I try to get some light food in the morning and keep it down as long as I can. Is anyone else experiencing this? I felt the exact same with my first pregnancy but forgot how relentless it was. 

Re: Coping w/ Morning (24/7) Sickness

• Options
    Hi there, so sorry to hear your morning sickness is so intense and miserable! I'm 4w 6d into my first pregnancy and have been nauseous since 3.5 weeks and I am worried I'll soon be in the same boat. I don't have tips/tricks yet but I appreciate you for posting and I look forward to the wisdom of the group! Particularly for others that are working -- I am a therapist and super worried about how this will impact sessions & clients. Sending hugs and relief your way!!
  • Options
    portentosaportentosa member
    edited April 2022
    I'm 5w3d today and morning sickness hit me closer to 6 or 7 weeks with both of my other pregnancies... I'm not looking forward to it. 

Eat whatever your nose/stomach will tolerate. I beat myself up a lot for not being able to eat healthy the first few months of my first pregnancy... anything healthy got thrown up shortly after. Take your prenatal (during whatever part of the day you're least nauseous) and just focus on getting whatever calories in that you can. For me it was bean burritos. Remember to drink fluids throughout the day too! Even if it's just small sips.

Hard candies, ginger tea, pedialyte popsicles are other go-tos on my list. If it gets so bad you can't function (at work or with older kids) talk to your OB about medication options. Zofran is what has gotten me through in the past.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @portentosa omg Pedialyte popsicles! I didn’t know about these but I’m going to try to get some today. Thank you!!!
  • Options
    Exactly what @portentosa said. My doctor told me that if all I can keep down is milkshakes, then that's fine for the first trimester. I ended up throwing up almost every day of my pregnancy the first time. Prescription medicine saved me. Promethazine is what helped the best but it made me absolutely exhausted. Zofran starting in the second trimester helped a lot but it made me so constipated I chose not to take it a lot of the time. Definitely talk to your doctor! Don't suffer if you don't have to! 
    Me: 31 Husby: 36
    Married May 2014
    TTC # 2  Since December 2021
    Baby girl W born 2/2021
    Our journey so far...
    (tw loss & infertility)
    Diagnosis: Poor Egg Quality 
    Working with an RE since March 2016
    2 failed TI cycles
    3 failed IUI cycles

IVF Feb - April 2017
    23 eggs collected, 20 mature, 14 fertilized with ICSI, 4 day 3 blasts, 3 day 5 blasts, 1 PGS normal
    Transferred 1 PGS normal embryo 4.12.17
    BFP 4.21.17
    MMC due to small gestational sac 6.8.17

Our adoption journey:
    12.25.18 Agency picked and apps submitted!
    5.1.19 Adoption on hold so we can buy a house! 
    1.1.20 Homestudy process started
    3.14.20 First social worker visit
    5.25.20 Homestudy Approved & Submitted to Agency

6.1.20 Surprise! Positive pregnancy test!
    Healthy baby girl born 2/10/2021

• Options
    Thanks all! I’m definitely going to get some information about the anti nausea. The first time around I didn’t take a thing my whole pregnant and suffered. I legit was getting so sick so frequently and violently I tore a freaking muscle and could barely walk for the last half of my pregnancy 🙄 it’s not worth it this time especially with a toddler in tow. Also if anyone else is experiencing the horrible taste in their mouth I read cutting it with vinegar soaked foods can help. I tried a pickle today and it was like MAGIC. I couldn’t keep it down but the bad taste in my mouth was gone for a while. So i think I may start swishing with pickle juice or braggs 😭🤣 also, I read SUGAR FREE gum can help! I was chewing gum with sugar and it was awful, the sugar free seems to make a difference. Also @portentosa the Pedialyte pops are a lifesaver, thank you! 🙌
  • Options
    Forgot to mention, if anyone has access to and is comfortable with trying acupuncture it really helped me. Last pregnancy my acupuncturist left a pin in my ear and I was able to press it when the nausea was bad and that tended to help ease it at times 
  • Options
    Just reached 6 weeks this weekend and the nausea has been hitting hard ever since—thank you ladies, for the reassurance that it’s fine to do what you’ve gotta do to keep food down. It’s my first pregnancy so the “eat x, y, and not too much of z to keep baby healthy” has been a lot! Packed some crackers, gum, and hard candy with my lunch today 😁
  • Options
    I’ve been serving on lemon water. It’s helped a lot ! 
  • Options
    I’m 5w3d and started experiencing nausea and vomiting last week. I can’t sleep for more than ~3 hours at a time- I wake up sick. I haven’t been able to keep anything down this morning. 😭
    You’re not alone! I’m definitely going to try some of these tips and tricks thank you ladies!
  • Options
    dogmom19dogmom19 member
    edited April 2022
    I diffuse ginger, mint leaves, cucumber and lemon into my water and feel like that has been helping me! Also I got a yeti tumbler and keep my water super cold which makes my nausea better.

But I feel you all on the nausea, especially at work. I teach elementary school and I’m really worried for how the end of the school year is going to go if I feel sick as the kids get more excited for summer. 
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips! Honestly I’m sad to say nothing is working. I am still vomiting about every 2 hours for about 3 weeks straight now. It is 24/7 and I am losing my mind. I can’t catch a break, even my prescription anti nausea isn’t working. I don’t know what to do anymore. 
  • Options
    @lulam13 ack I am so sorry. Have you tried acupuncture before? Breathing in peppermint oil? Idk I am trying to think of anything that may help. 
  • Options
    I’m currently sitting on the couch wearing my sea bands. I think they are helping 
  • Options
    Hi there!

I’m 7 weeks 5 days right now but right when I hit the 5 week mark, I had an awful day where I was sick literally all day long. I called my doctor and the nurse told me to take 50 mg of Vitamin B6 three times a day and to take Unisom (specifically the doxylamine version) at night and my morning sickness has basically cleared all the way up! I also try to eat as soon as I’m hungry or I get nauseous and a few crackers in the morning right when I wake up and that helps too.

Of course, talk to your doctor before you start the B6 and Unisom but I swear to you, such a lifesaver!!!
  • Options
    7 weeks today and ugh, last week or two has kicked my ass. I am nauseous all the time but, won’t throw up. severe stomach cramping and food aversions to most things. is it normal for good aversions to change daily, if not hourly?? I wind up cooking or ordering the one item that’s appealing and then, ruin it. by the time it’s done. no thank youuu 
  • Options
    @laurencostello88 YES! This! At 7w4d, the constantly changing food appeals and aversions I’ve been experiencing over the last 4-5 days has been exhausting! I have a house filled with great, healthy foods, and suddenly only plain ramen will sound good, and I’ll need to eat within 20-30 minutes to prevent (worsening) nausea. I also can’t recreate a crappy Taco Bell burrito at home, so all the sudden I’m ordering Door Dash on the daily! Here’s hoping things will quiet down into the more typical, “peanut butter and pickles”-type thing in the coming weeks…
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    The following worked well for me:
    1. Smelling something pleasant and floral before and while brushing. 
    2. Previous day’s diet does has an effect - diluted yogurt drinks mixed with cucumber and fresh mint. Not having too much gap in between meals
    3. Not drinking water first thing in the morning. Drinking water after 30 mins after meals. 
    4. Seaband - acupressure wristbands. Both wrists. Don’t wear continuously though. 
    5. Homemade ginger candy
    6. infused water , lemon water, lots of fresh fruits, tangy items- prunes, mangoes, plums, nectarines, bananas. 
    7. New chapter prenatal (has some ginger in it)  - I noticed the difference when I missed it. 
    8. Pom juice
  • Options
    ATam90ATam90 member
    What @bmorrow26 said! On my third pregnancy and a 50mg B6 with a half a unisom in morning and at night is the absolute only thing that helps me! Now, I still throw up everyday, but it is much more manageable. I had HG with my first and severe morning sickness with my second, this time around I was not waiting and I started the medicine at 5 weeks. Also, chewing ice cubes and popsicles, or eating watermelon and water rich fruits help keep you hydrated if you can keep them down. Some days that works for me and others I cannot stomach them. Puking sucks, no one likes it. I hope you find some relief.