1st Trimester
Options

Cost of prenatal care

Hi all! I was wondering how much each prenatal visit costs you? I was told that it’s around $235 (with my good insurance) for my first prenatal visit. Just wanted to get an idea of the costs! Then after my deductible I would be responsible for 25% of remaining costs. Thanks!!

Re: Cost of prenatal care

• Options
    It depends on your insurance.  Call your doctor and/or insurance company to determine the cost.  Also, it depends on if you have a healthy, standard pregnancy where you only need to be seen a few times with the basic tests.  Or if you end up having any complications and need to be seen more often and/or have beta draws.  Or if you have a MC or ectopic or some serious issue and need major surgery or anything like that.  Nothing is completely certain.

My visits cost me my like $30 copay and that was all.  My RE appointments cost me a lot more, especially on tests that weren't entirely covered by my insurance.
    *TW All the Loss* #BitterHagPartyOf1

October 2015 - 1st MC.  7-8 weeks along. Suspected molar PG, but luckily just a MMC.

June 2016 - 2nd MC: 4-5 weeks CP

September 2016 - 3rd MC: 4-5 weeks CP

RE 1: ALL the testing - 'unexplained'  "Yinz can do IVF or try on your own"

Feb 2017 - 4th MC: 6 weeks

RE 2: More tests. Still 'unexplained.'  Called fat for an entire hour-long appointment, cried a lot

Feb 2019 - 5th MC: 6-7 weeks

IUD - March 2019-March 2023

RE 3:  Repeat all the tests. Hoping to try IVF.

• Options
    It really just depends on your deductible/insurance. And if you’re getting an ultrasound or labs drawn. You’ll just have to call and ask insurance. Always verify what’s covered before your appt. Because I got super surprised when I showed up to my NT Scan (12 weeks) and had to pay OOP since it was an elective ultrasound my insurance didn’t fully cover it. But I had no idea until I got there. My mistake but be prepared for those things. My appt totals varied a lot. And then once I switched to a no-deductible plan most of my prenatal was covered. And then you’ll have the costs of labor & delivery after insurance pays their part. Some offices will require a certain amount upfront a few months prior to delivery. But that will depend on their system. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My best advice would be to call and get a list of everything that is covered and what you should have to pay for. It seems a little much to pay $200+ per appointment. We are switching insurance but all of the ones we looked at had preventative and prenatal care covered even before the deductible was met as part of the standard practice. It definitely varies from insurance to insurance. I've had a lot of friends have to pay for ultrasounds out of pocket. Your insurance will hopefully have an out of pocket maximum so you won't always have to pay.
  • Options
    Typically, appointments are global billed along with delivery after your pregnancy. It’s odd to me that you’d be billed individually for each one at the time of service. However, that sounds like a totally normal cost for appointment whether you pay it or it’s billed to insurance. 
  • Options
    Wow I feel so lucky! All of my appointments are covered. Last pregnancy I didn’t have to pay anything, including my induction and emergency c-section.