1st Trimester

Positive pregnancy test changes?

edited March 2022 in 1st Trimester
Hi, I know I am probably being OCD for no reason because this is my first pregnancy and I am FREAKING out. I’ve taken a TON of pregnancy tests since I found out a week ago. And today my test looked different. The first ones I took were dark and thick positive lines. Today it was dark in color, but a very thin positive line. It looks like a very dark Evap line, but it showed almost immediately after testing. Does that mean anything?

Re: Positive pregnancy test changes?

• In my experience, my positive lines have always started out faint/thin and then gotten stronger throughout the next week or two and eventually plateaus. However, lots of things can affect line darkness- different brands usually appear different and dilution of your urine also has an effect. If you’re using the same brand of tests and holding your urine for at least 3 hours the lines should stay about the same once you reach that plateau. A thin line rather than a lighter 2nd line sounds more like a wonky test to me but you’ll drive yourself crazy analyzing lines. Home tests are qualitative not quantitative so a line means you’re pregnant but can only tell you so much about viability. 

If it seems like your positive lines are consistently fading I’d call your doctor to get a beta HCG blood draw done 48 hours apart to get a better idea of what’s going on. 
    Me: 35  H: 35
    Married: 4/5/13

"You know that place between sleep and awake, 
    that place where you can still remember dreaming?
    That's where I will always love you.  
    That's where I'll be waiting."
    ~Peter Pan 

*TW*
    BFP #1: 11/12/12  EDD 7/25/13 Baby boy: 7/27/13
    BFP #2: 10/29/17   MMC dx @ 9 weeks
    BFP #3: 2/2/18 MC 2/7/18
    BFP #4: 3/2/18  MC 3/9/18
    RPL testing and hysteroscopy: all normal
    BFP #5: 4/1/18 MMC dx @ 14 weeks ----> genetically normal girl  :'(
    Hysteroscopy to remove scar tissue 9/28
    BFP #6 11/5/18 EDD 7/20/19  <3  Rainbow baby girl born 7/23/19 
    BFP #7 12/8/2021 EDD 8/22/2022 
  • I am trying to post a picture here from my phone but I’m not sure how.
  • Loading the player...
  • Do not post pictures of pee sticks, unless its in the sticky above. 

A line is a line. A positive is a positive.  The dyes in each test are different.  The darkness is irrelevant, as one test may have more dye than another.  Stop testing! Seriously!  I've heard the further along the tests get wonky anyway.  If concerned call your doctor.