October 2022 Moms

Product Spotlight: Cribs & Sleeping Surfaces

Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product. Feel free to comment on threads like these throughout your time at the board, not just when they're in their week in the spotlight, if you discover something new OR are new to the board. This week it's.... Cribs & Sleeping surfaces!

FTMs are encouraged to ask questions & STM/+s encouraged to share their knowledge based on experience. You can use any or all the prompts relevant to you below to share info.

For STMs:
Lifestyle(House, Apartment, Travel a lot)?
What sleeping surface do you have?
Link/Picture?
Cost?
Pros/Cons?

For FTMs:
Lifestle(House, Apartment, Travel a lot)?
What are you looking at?
Any questions for others?

Re: Product Spotlight: Cribs & Sleeping Surfaces

• siouxieq87siouxieq87 member
    edited March 2022
    Fifth time mom here…I got a Dock-a-Tot when I was pg with my daughter and she loved it! Unfortunately she loved it so much that she’s almost 3 and still using it (she’s small for her age and uses  it with the bottom unbuckled so her legs can stick out. She would blow a gasket if I tried to use it for the baby (rightfully so!) so I guess I’ll have to buy a new one which sucks cus they’re not cheap.

I also loved my Co-Sleeper mini, unfortunately my cat somehow snuck into our storage closet and  peed on it, so guess I’ll be buying a new one of those too! They’re great while baby is still sleeping in your room cus they really don’t take up much space, and you can just reach right over and grab the babe for easy nighttime feedings (and to put your hand on their chest for the 500th time to make sure they’re still breathing).

Edit to say I used the co-sleeper mini until dd was about 5 months and started trying to pull up to a stand in it.
  • I totally forgot about this book I used with my first - it used to be recommended all the time on the BMBs. They do a new edition every couple of years so the info is pretty up to date, and there is also a website (that was kind of hard to navigate but maybe they improved that in the last 5 years)

The title is misleading - it’s not really all about “bargains” they have recommendations at all price points. It’s more about getting the most for your money (if you are going to spend more on a certain item, make sure it has these features kind of thing)

Baby Bargains: Your Baby Registry Cheat Sheet!
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/1889392634/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_6J64E791B1FJ1K2S4YHC

I had the e-book version so I could bring it up when we were out shopping. 
  • Loading the player...
  • bows22bows22 member
    edited March 2022
    So using the book I linked above (and the website too), we picked this crib last time. The book had tips for finding a dresser that is good quality and then we just went with the crib that matched. 

https://www.buybuybaby.com/store/product/ti-amo-carino-4-in-1-convertible-crib-in-snow-white/3292770

the dresser & crib have both held up remarkably well and are still like brand new. 

We had this mattress which I have no complaints about, it says it’s dual sided so that you can flip it to be softer when the baby is a toddler, but I don’t think there is much difference between the sides

Moonlight Slumber Dual Sided Baby Crib Mattress. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003XT43MG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ZK8AES3GDFZ9BA9RR9CC?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

DD slept in the pack & play in our room for about the first year, we just had the standard pack & play with the mattress that you can raise up to bassinet level, we never felt like we needed any other accessories based on what we were using it for. We did take it with us to travel but again just for sleep really. 
  • bows22bows22 member
    edited March 2022
    Now that I’ve taken over this thread I might as well keep going. DD was in the NICU for 2 months so we kind of missed the newborn stage. I’m interested in getting something like a halo bassinet or something similar that is up to the level of our bed? I’m actually not planning to breastfeed so maybe it’s not worth it but I am thinking it would be nice to be able to pat the baby’s belly or replace a pacifier and not have to get out of bed? Any recommendations?
  • Dock a tots are typically not recommended night time sleeping surfaces. The edges are not breathable and at least 12 babies have died (in six years) from suffocating in them. Now the odds are obviously small but I've seen many baby gear experts say to stay away but I've seen a lot of influencers recommend them. 
  • STM, was in a one-bedroom in the city with DS, now in a teo-bedroom in an even more urban part of the city. DS's room is big enough for them to share once baby is sleeping through the night more.

We were gifted a 3-in-1 crib that converts to a toddler bed and twin bed with DS, and my cousin is passing on her bassinet to us for this one. We did a lot of bedsharing with DS, but I want a bassinet option this time. One of the triggers with PPA was checking to make sure he was okay in the bed with us, so I want the option to have baby right next to me but not in the bed necessarily. DS's crib was next to us at the old place, but it wasn't as easy to access as a bassinet. We're thinking to then get baby a mini crib and let DS use his own crib still, converted into the toddler bed, when they first share the room. When second baby is big enough we're switching to bunk beds!
  • merostomatamerostomata member
    edited March 2022
    For STMs:

Lifestyle(House, Apartment, Travel a lot)? House
    What sleeping surface do you have? For my daughter, we had a Halo Bassinest (going to tag @bows22 since you mentioned it!) for ages 0-3m, then she slept on a crib mattress on the floor directly next to our bed (also on the floor at the time) for about a year, then transitioned to a floor bed in her own room. We gave it away though, so will have to find something else.

Link/Picture? https://www.target.com/p/halo-bassinest-swivel-sleeper-essentia-nautical-net/-/A-79337537?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&fndsrc=tgtao&DFA=71700000012735142&CPNG=PLA_Baby+Shopping_Local|Baby_Ecomm_Baby&adgroup=SC_Baby_Low+Margin&LID=700000001170770pgs&LNM=PRODUCT_GROUP&network=g&device=c&location=1022588&targetid=aud-1601604867092:pla-1040934978180&ds_rl=1242884&ds_rl=1246978&ds_rl=1248099&gclid=Cj0KCQjw_4-SBhCgARIsAAlegrW00qycRbcnTo27Nie-_o1VDbV-Ki6_oF8BABaHRo6fBRmJjCtQN_waAmQ6EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Cost? We got ours used on Craigslist for $90, so about half price. Definitely recommend looking for a used model of a bassinet! They are used for so little time and other parents are often looking to unload.

Pros/Cons? Pro was that our daughter slept great in it, and it was easy to get her in and out of for middle-of-the-night feeds. The bassinet swiveled to exactly where you need it, and you can push the siding down. Has nice soft mesh for safe sleep. She was also able to nap in it. The only con was that it was kind of high for our bed, which was a platform bed (before we put it on the floor). The bassinet doesn't really adjust that low, even on the lowest setting, so it felt like she was kind of hovering above me at night.

BY THE WAY--- Cribs and other furniture are backordered pretty significantly right now in general, due to the ever present supply chain issues. Like 6+ months. So if you are looking for a specific model of crib or bassinet I'd start thinking about ordering sooner rather than later, or at least check to see if what you want is available.
  • Pack and play or bassinet?? Planning on newborn sleeping in our room for the first few months rather than the crib…but in what? FTM here, 12 weeks and starting to look at registry-type things, and man is there a lot out there. 😅
  • @nerdymom22 we used the pack & play last time, but I’m interested in a bassinet this time to be able to have the baby closer to our bed. Sometimes all DD needed was for us to put her pacifier in her mouth and that doesn’t really require getting up. DD slept in her pack & play for almost a year and also when we traveled so we would have needed that anyway. 
  • ficheyfichey member
    One of our neighbors was giving away their crib after their toddler outgrew it. They said they'd actually gotten it from another neighbor, so I would guess it was manufactured in the last 5-10 years. The model isn't produced anymore, but I can't find any recalls or defects. It's solid wood and was really similar to what we were going to buy, but now I'm second guessing the safety aspect. We're using something else in our room for the first few months, so it's not an urgent issue, but what would your comfort level be in this situation? Clearly it's been used very recently with no issue, but on the other hand, that doesn't always mean safe. 
  • We have a bedside bassinet for the first bit of time when baby will sleep in our bedroom, and then we have a Graco Pack N Play with newborn sleeper and changing table, as well as elevated bassinet. Hubb's parents are PSYCHED about the grandbaby on the way and bought us both of them already. 

I've practiced the Pack N Play a couple of times and it is going to be a lifesaver considering how limited our space is.
  • I bought a coalesced thing for the bed and I remember waking up because his nose was covered by the fabric on the outside. I didn’t use it again. I’m super terrified of the dok a tot and items like that because DS would always gravitate towards the edges because the mattress would cause the cosleeper to be uneven (if that makes sense). 

I’m using a bassinet (that has gone through each grandchild!) and once baby is older, I’m essentially going to kick my BF out of the bed so I can have a large clear spot for baby to sleep next to me. I love my BF, but I don’t trust him not to roll over on my baby! lol 
  • bows22bows22 member
    @fichey if they are sure if the model and there are no recalls I would be okay with it (and I’m pretty paranoid). My nephew is 8 and there haven’t been any major changes with cribs since my SIL was pregnant with him. So if you want it, I’d say take it! But no shame in just buying your own if that’s what you want to do. 
  • A sleeping surface related question - how many crib sheets is a good amount to have?  I don't like to overbuy as I have a small space, but it seems like this is one item that could get changed pretty often!  I'm thinking 4 is good to have?

Also, I realize crib mattresses come in many different price ranges...should I be too worried about getting a "basic" mattress (as long as they meet safety standards)?  My head is spinning so thank you for your patience :) 
  • bows22bows22 member
    @sandy5693 DD slept in the pack & play for like 10 months and by then we had the diaper situation figured out so she didn’t often pee through to her sheets, so we only needed 2. So it will probably depend on how soon you plan to use the crib. 

Basic mattress is definitely fine! We have a 2 sided one where the other side was supposedly softer once they were allowed to be on a softer surface but they felt the same to me. As long as it fits your crib perfectly that’s all that really matters!
  • Thank you @bows22 that is so helpful!
  • We never blew out our budget on a crib mattress. My kids use it for maybe two years. The toddler bed rarely happens for long. We buy a big bed once they are potty trained at night. 
    The dock-a-tot is not favored by a lot of safe sleep people for bedtime sleeping. People use it anyway. It's essentially like putting your baby in a small bumper filled container. Bumpers are obviously a big no. If you are just using it during the day then it's probably fine but a bassinet is better. 

• ficheyfichey member
    @bows22 Thanks for the reassurance! Crippling anxiety is pretty much my default setting, but logically I know that there's only so much that can change in a decade for something like a crib. This will also let me splurge on a Newton mattress (which shockingly is also a huge source of anxiety) lol.  
  • We would love a crib but there is no way space-wise, so the Pack N Play is going to be it for us since we can fold it up as need be. I put a mattress for it on our registry, and from my understanding there is little point to blowing your budget on a crib mattress for as long as your kiddo sleeps fine.
  • Thanks everyone for all your feedback on the mattresses! I feel much more calm and knowledgeable about all things sleeping surfaces.  We ordered a mini crib that converts into a full crib/toddler bed.  The plan as of now is to keep baby in the room until they get into the full crib, we'll see how that goes.  

On a side note, some furniture items are already backordered with estimated delivery dates in September  :o
  • ficheyfichey member
    @sandy5693 We tried to get around the backorder by buying an open box dresser from floorfound, but even shipping is ridiculously backed up right now. We ordered at the beginning of May and there's still no est. on when it will actually ship. Trying to tell myself that there's still plenty of time, but it doesn't feel that way!
  • I had friends order a crib in July last year and it didn't show up until after their baby was born in November. The backorders are nuts. I wouldn't wait if you find something you like. 
  • We haven’t used a crib until closer to 6 months, but have used the same one for all 3 kids, and it will be used for #4. We got a Newton mattress this go around, because my kids tend to be stomach sleepers, and our mattress has been through the ringer (All of my kids are heavy spitters, and this mattress can be cleaned in the shower). I like the arms reach bassinet for the first few months. The one we have has an adjustable height, and storage underneath and on the sides. 

As a parent of heavy spitters, I recommend at least 3-5 sheets. I ran out of sheets in the middle of the night with my first, and it was not a fun experience.