November 2022 Moms

Unexpected pregnancy

I feel like I'm watching this happen from the outside. Never, in a million years, did I imagine this was possible. It shouldn't be, my husband had a vasectomy 11 years ago. it never even crossed my mind as being a possibility, so I have no idea what to do.

I never wanted to be pregnant, or give birth. Hence, the vasectomy. We built our family through adoption from foster care, and one child my husband had from his first marriage.

We actually kind of considered our family to be complete, but we are adopting a final child, a little boy who is due end of April. His birth mother knows us through a mutual family friend, she conceived through assault, doesn't believe in abortion, but has no desire to raise the baby.

Our kids are 17, 16, 13, 5, 2, 2, (not twins), and our little boy due next month.

I know I'm pregnant, that many tests don't lie, and I think I'm about 7 weeks, but not entirely sure, I can't really remember my last period. There's no reason to track them, since I can't get pregnant. Or so I thought.

And now I don't know what to do. I wanted to avoid this, never be in this position, and feel like I was kicked in the head.

Anyone else in a similar position, unplanned pregnancy? What about failed vasectomies? Since realizing this, I did some more reading, and apparently the failure rate increases after 10 years. I don't remember the urologist telling us this.

Re: Unexpected pregnancy

• Unplanned pregnancy here!  I have two amazing girls and gave away all my baby stuff literally two weeks ago. Freaking out a little but rolling with it. I think the logistics of space for everyone is stressing me the most. We have rooms for everyone but I was using one room as an office and playroom so need to get creative now. Also feeling a little too old for this personally (36). 

That’s a lot you have going on but I bet the bind with your newborn and baby to be will be amazing. What do you do for space?  Have you done additions to your house?

• Unplanned here too. We have a 7 & 5 year old. My husband has a daughter who is 24 as well. It is stressful because we were completely sure we were done. The plan was for a vasectomy but my husband severely broke his leg and was laid up for months so that little procedure was put on the back burner. Now here we are...

We have plenty of space, but the upstairs only has three bedrooms including the master. So even though I know this baby will be in our room for a while I’m still stumped on what do about kids sharing a bedroom eventually. Since our two are boy & girl maybe it depends on whether baby is a boy or girl?
  • Loading the player...
  • 100% unexpected pregnancy! Our only child is 12, I’m 36, and my husband is 41. My husband and I were really starting to enjoy the freedom that having a pre-teen offered and were making goals and dreams for the next several years of our lives. We are completely shocked BUT we are also at peace, oddly enough. My daughter is going to be the best big sister and when she finds out, she’s going to be beyond thrilled. 
  • Same here! I have two kids already 8 & 5. We have given away all of our baby stuff already. We just went and had our first ultra sound today and saw a 7 week 4 day little bean. I am excited but nervous and so is my husband. We haven’t told the kids yet. We are waiting until after the first trimester to announce it.