September 2022 Moms
Options

Weekly Randoms 3/21

2»

Re: Weekly Randoms 3/21

• Options
    It's that time again!

This week's fun with stats:

(Once again, data is primarily gathered from the introductions and ultrasounds posts, with occasional additions from the weekly updates thread).

1) We currently have 73 women who are active in this board.  "Active" in this case being defined as having posted within the past two weeks. Of our active ladies,
    • 1 is due in middle August but has chosen to hang out with us
    • 16 are due in the first week of September (9/1-9/7)
    • 21 are due in the second week of September (9/8-9/15)
    • 18 are due in the third week of September (9/16-9/22)
    • 17 are due in the last week of September (9/23-9/30)
    2) In terms of age, of our active ladies,
    • 1 is under 25
    • 13 are age 25-29
    • 20 are age 30-34
    • 13 are age 35-39
    • 4 are 40 and over
    • 22 have not disclosed their age
    3) What baby number is it for our active ladies?
    • For 39 of us, it's the first baby.
    • For 17 of us, it's the second baby.
    • For 9 of us, it's the third or more baby.
    • For 8 of us, this data is unknown.
    4) Where are our active ladies?
    • 10 are outside the U.S. (Australia, Canada, Costa Rica, Norway) 
    • 8 are in the Pacific coast states (CA, WA)
    • 6 are in the Midwest (MN, NE, WI) 
    • 2 are in the Northeast (MA, NH) 
    • 5 are in the Mid-Atlantic (NJ, NY, PA)
    • 5 are in the Southeast (GA, NC, SC, VA)
    • 1 is in the Deep South (TX)
    • 36 have not disclosed their location.
    • So far we have no ladies who have reported their location as the Southwest (e.g., AZ, NV), Applachia (e.g., KY, TN) or non-continental states (HI, AK)
    6) For gender, so far...

• 14 mamas have announced for team blue
    • 14 mamas has officially announced for team pink
    • 8 mamas have reported they plan to be team green
    *Note that these tallies indicate specific usernames who have stated explicitly the gender of their baby(ies) - this does not encapsulate the total courts on the "I'm Just Here for the SEX" post, which are higher.

7) So far, only one of our active ladies has reported they are having twins (but we do have some inactive ladies with multiples as well).

8) Other factoids:
    • We have 35 women who have posted more than 2 weeks ago but less than a month ago (10 of these have only posted once).
    • We have 139 women who have posted more than a month ago (59 of these only posted once).
    • We have unfortunately also had 8 women who have left us following confirmed losses.
    • We have 4 women who previously posted but have since deleted their accounts.
    • We have 1 woman who has since relocated to the October board.

If you don't think I'm accounting for your data (or you want to check), let me know and I'll update my spreadsheet. 
    Current pregnancy -
    First BFP on 1/4/22.  Due date 9/13/22.

Four prior losses, no living children - 1 first trimester miscarriage, 1 blighted ovum, 1 chemical, and one extreme premature live birth daughter who died at 15 days old.

• Options
    pangolindromepangolindrome member
    edited March 2022
    @kboydbowman You missed OREGON for the Pacific Northwest coast states! Feel my puppy eyes from over here!

I love seeing the stats.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I updated my spreadsheet - you must not have put OR in your intro. :)
    Current pregnancy -

Four prior losses, no living children - 1 first trimester miscarriage, 1 blighted ovum, 1 chemical, and one extreme premature live birth daughter who died at 15 days old.

• Options
    Yay Duke!!!
    Current pregnancy -

• Options
    Park playdate today and the weather is a bit wet and chilly. Blah. But my daughter is totally hyped and looking forward to it, so this mama will just need to suck it up, bring a towel, and hope for the best. 🤞🏻
    DD 10/2019
  • Options
    @trapperkeeper87 is a wet park a common occurrence? If so, I highly recommend getting a rainsuit for your daughter. Total game changer. Oakiwear has ones that are pretty good and don't break the bank. The daycare I used to work at required them for all the kids and we were able to play outside so many more days out of the year.
  • Options
    @babywiik It's not usually rainy here, but it's spring (we have four seasons where I live). So rain is kind of standard for the next month and a half.
    DD 10/2019
  • Options
    Was on the way to my appointment today and felt a very sharp jab/kick. Yay for feeling movement now! Baby probably was very unhappy about my very full bladder. 😂
  • Options
    @dsmith211 at this point it was probably RLP - any movement you would feel from baby at this point would be light light flutters, not sharp jabs/kicks.
    Current pregnancy -

• Options
    St. Pete's is busting everyone's brackets (including mine) and I am SO HERE FOR IT.
    Current pregnancy -

• Options
    Greetings from the couch where this Elevated Fart Factory is waiting for the Gas-X to kick in enough that I can go the heck back to bed.
  • Options
    I'm sitting in piles of clothes from 12 months to 2t trying to thin and organize in case baby #3 is another girl. So much clothing. The nb to 12 month clothes are at our other house. Part of me just wants to throw it all out, the other part picks up the clothes and think about what both my daughters looked like in my favorites, and want to cry a bit that they've grown so much. Way too much clothing though, and every time I go through it I donate more, and so much with tags still on it. 
  • Options
    Lab results for UTI came back today and cultures went back up so I’m looking forward to the phone call tomorrow when the office is open of next steps and taking even more time off to go in again. 

Yay more antibiotics! 🙄
  • Options
    Tall STM/TTM++ - did your kids ever fit into newborn sizes? 

My husband was over 24” at birth and our son is already measuring long (which I know isn’t the most accurate). Trying to figure out how much he needs in each size is proving to be more difficult than I thought it would be haha. 
  • Options
    newbabymama27newbabymama27 member
    edited March 2022
    @mk2022x I’m tall-ish for a girl but my husband is 6’2” and considered the short one of the family lol the rest are 6’5” to 6’7”. Our son has been in the 98th percentile for height since he was born. 

A piece of advice I wish I DIDN’T listen to with him was “oh, don’t bother getting newborn clothes, he’ll only fit in them for like a week, just go straight to 0-3 and 3 months”. WRONG! I had like 5 newborn things and boy was I wrong to not have more ready. He was absolutely swimming in the 0-3 and even in some of the newborn. Add the blowouts and spit ups and I had to do laundry every day with those. So I quickly made an online order for more sleepers and onesies and I’d say he wore them for 2ish months? I find when they’re such fresh newborns, you really don’t need any sort of going out fancy clothes. Just stick to sleepers (zippers are your bffs), onesies, some cotton pants to go over onesies, socks and you’re good. 

It’s funny I was just thinking yesterday “this time I’ll buy more newborn stuff!” Since a lot of what I bought I threw away due to spit-up and poop stains.  
  • Options
    @newbabymama27 suuuuuper helpful, thank you so much!!! 
  • Options
    I am trusting myself to forget something tomorrow (going back to work after spring break) so I prepped all my food for tomorrow AND hubbs’ food as well. It wasn’t real big or anything but I am proud of myself for taking the time to be less stressed tomorrow morning and being better able to take my time to get ready. I know I’ll need it.

Also, I keep saying I have colander brain. I never know what’s going to stick, but it’s probably a pasta/noodle of some sort 😂 although most stuff seems to run right through.
  • Options
    @mk2022x seconding @newbabymama27 I didn't have hardly any newborn clothes because everyone said they only wear them for a week or 2. Wrong! Baby was born weighing 8lbs 12oz and wore newborn size for 2.5/3 months. I definitely went out and bought a bunch more😅 one thing to keep in mind though is the brand you're buying. Carters and Old Navy run a bit small, especially after washed. Also, I use European sizes which are a whole lot more accurate than American sizes. For example: when my daughter was 12 months she was just starting to wear European size 80 which is 12 months. She also fit American sized 18 month clothes and when I held the shirts and pants up to each other, they were the exact same size. She's always fit into the size coordinating with her age but had we used only American sizes I would have though she wore 6 months bigger than her age. Oops! That got kinda long😂 seconding 
  • Options
    Anyone else take progesterone for the first trimester and feel depressed/down? How long after you stopped did you bounce back? I spoke with my ob np about this at my last Dr appt. But suffice it to say there are a few reasons I don't have faith in her and will be asking to just see the Dr from now on
  • Options
    @mk2022x my first was 7lb 2 oz, 20.5 inches around 50th percentile all of the time. She got newborn clothes until almost 3 months. My second 9 lbs 14.8 oz 22.5 inches 99th percentile since birth, I tried so hard to squeeze her into matching newborn everything I had for the first and the poor baby couldn't move. I think we used 5 nb diapers before I was like go buy me some size 1s because I could barely close them. The hospital didn't even give us nb diapers they started her on size 1 from birth. She went home in a 0-3m outfit and was wearing 6-9 month clothes before she was 3 months old. I'm glad she was my second and I already had clothes so it wasn't like I went out and bought nb clothes that didn't get worn. 
  • Options
    newbabymama27newbabymama27 member
    edited March 2022
    @babywiik oh yes great point about the sizes! I also found The Gap clothes to be quite wide but not super long for the infant sizes but now that my son is older he’s still lean and tall but The Gap isn’t too wide anymore. 

Sorry if you already know this @mk2022x, but when you look at sizes for a standard American baby brand, 3-6m and 6m will likely be quite similar because the 6m means that a baby will outgrow around 6m, not start wearing at 6m. I didn’t know that bit before and found it helpful when someone explained to me. 

@jhysmath oh wow your experience just shows how everyone is so so different! I find diaper sizes can also be worn for different lengths of time depending on what brand they are and also the shape of the baby’s butt and how thin their thighs are. Lol so funny to say that but it’s true. 
  • Options
    @newbabymama27 We use pampers swaddlers at the newborn stage if I'm not using cloth (my first used newborn cloth until 2-3 months old and my second, none of the aios fit I had to use the covers which were a tad bit bigger, but by a month she was in the OS aios her sister was wearing.) Or I might use amazon's mama bear ones. They both fit similarly. She's very much a 99th+ percentile kid. At 22 months tomorrow, she's easily wearing 3t clothing that is her sisters, but I've got to hide that fact or her sister will get angry. I'm hoping we can squeeze her into her 2t clothing for a couple more months so when we convince the first that she can wear 4t clothing (they still are really big on her) because she's 4 now, I can give the 3t clothing to the then 2 year old. I'll see if I took any pictures of her in newborn clothing too so you can see how squished she looked in them. 
  • Options
    To add to this conversation, yes, definitely get some newborn clothes. If you're worried about sizing, buy used, because half will be destroyed by poop and spit up. My daughter is 29 months now and she's been in 3T since about a week after her second birthday, but still has room to grow a bit more (well, in the legs; her torso is long). She easily fit in newborn and all the sizes thereafter for the first year, despite being 90%+ile the whole time (she's solidly at 98%ile for height right now, and about 80%ile for weight).

For budget buys, we love Carter's (and their other brands, like Just One You) and Old Navy because they fit so well and consistent. Gerber is the worst on sizing, so always go up a size there (good quality, they just run really small). You'll also find some brands that are really wide, but not long. Those do work for certain babies, but not my daughter, so I can't say which brands those are.

If you have a second-hand store like Once Upon a Child near you, you can easily grab tons of different brands of onesies for like $1/each to see what brands hold up and fit your child well. Trust me, you won't really need the cute clothes except for church, holidays, pictures, and birthdays. Once they hit about a year and a half, that's when cute clothes really have a better place in their everyday life. Otherwise you're just risking throwing your money away on things that will inevitably be stained, sometimes beyond keeping.
    DD 10/2019
  • Options
    Thank you everyone!! This is extremely helpful. We were definitely in the mindset of “skip the newborn sizes” but we’ll buy some inexpensive ones for sure to have on hand. :)
  • Options
    What everyone else said but I wouldn’t skip newborn. We just got some cheap sets from Carters and Target and then when baby came we went from there to buy what we felt we needed.

I honestly thought we wouldn’t need them either since I was supposed to have a 10 lb baby. He was 7lbs 4oz. 🙄
  • Options
    It’s crazy how off those prenatal measurements are. My second was induced at 41 weeks … measured just over 8 lbs at my morning ultrasound and was born that evening at 9 lbs 13 oz .  I’ll second what most have said, brand makes the differences. My big babe didn’t fit in Carters newborn stuff (esp the hand me downs, they shrink a lot) but did fit in Old Navy, GAP, etc. the 3 -6 month ones were too big. None of my kids used newborn sizes diapers after the hospital but I think you do need some newborn sized sleepers, even if you have a bigger babe. 
  • Options
    I just want to say that I had a 9lb baby and absolutely nobody warned me he was going to be that big and I never had an ultrasound where he got measured like that and now I feel cheated lol. He also could wear NB clothes and I basically had none so had to buy on Amazon because 3 month were still too big even though he was a good size.