Baby Names
Options

Grandparents' Names

Hello! We are in search of a boy name. For my whole adult life, I had a girl name in mind. First name--maternal grandmother's; middle name--paternal grandmother's. And she would be called a blended nickname.

Since our first is going to be a boy, we really have no boy names in mind. Sticking with the grandparent theme, we are considering something similar with the maternal grandfather + paternal grandfather name (and own nickname).

My concern is, if we have a girl later, I would still want to use the grandmothers' names. Then I realized that our two children would have the first names of my parents. Is that weird? If your parents were Mary and John, would it be weird to have two children, named Mary and John (albeit they'd each be called a nickname)?

Re: Grandparents' Names

• Options
    You could have a variation of their names. But in naming your kids after your parents you’re likely to end up with kids with your parent’s names.

Marie
    Maria
    Margaret
    Margot
    Marianne

Jonathan
    Jack
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    Yes, this is true! I was fine with naming one after our parents. But never thought how it would be if both were (boy and girl). To me, hearing my parents' names together, sounds like a couple (as they are). I can't quite envision giving that "couple" name to two children. 

Mary and John are not really their names. I have nicknames in mind for both sets, but on legal forms and things, I will be writing their given names. That's my concern.

Basically, I care more about naming a girl after her grandmothers than I do a boy after his grandfathers. So, I don't want to ruin my girl name plan by using that strategy for naming a boy first. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    meggymemeggyme member
    edited March 2022
    You could always kick the tribute names to the middle and give them original first names. Then they can still honor your parents’ names and it won’t matter day to day.

I also personally have a thing against naming children after someone who is still alive and using that name. My kids have their grandmother’s names as their middles and they had passed when it was given.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    It does seems odd to me. I'd save the grandmothers names in case you ever have a girl since you've always dreamt of that name. But it doesn't sound like you had your heart set on the grandfathers names for a boy. Start with names you like and maybe honor a grandfather with the middle name.