July 2022 Moms
Options

Advice: Building Your Baby Registry

Since baby showers will be coming up in a few months, I thought it would be helpful to have a thread dedicated to helping build, use, complete and/or get the most out of our baby registries.

Let's cover things like...
-what needs to be done to get the welcome/freebie gifts
-Basics like how to add items to a registry
-What stores/retailers have baby registries
-Registering for proper sized clothes for the seasons (aka, newborn long sleeves are not needed for a July baby)
-Getting thoughts/opinions on products if you can't decide between two items which to register for
-List any "don't forget to add these small, but definitely necessary items to your registry" products that are often forgotten about
-How far into baby's lives should you register for items (should we register for items that won't get used until they're 6+ or 12+ months old?)
-Any other help needed in completing your registries
*TW* History:
Me: 34 DH: 36 | Together since 2007 | Married July 2016

TTC #1 since 7.2017
Dx: low morph (1%), ANA positive, low decidualization score, high TSH and testosterone, histone antibodies

IUI #1-3 all BFN
IVF #1 | 6.11.19 | 24R, 17M, 15F, 6B, PGT-A tested - 5 normal, 3 girls & 2 boys
FET #1 | 9.10.19 | BFN "I know you, but we've never met. I'm with you, but I don't know your name"
RPL, Receptiva, & ERA testing | all normal/negative, recommended going on gluten and dairy free diet for next FET
FET #2 | 3.31.20 | Opted to cancelled due to pandemic, continued diet and tried naturally over the summer
2nd Opinion with another RE | 8.20.20 | Not immune to measles (received 1 dose); SA results similar to 2 years ago; decided to move forward with FET #2 redo at start of next cycle
Surprise natural BFP! | 9.22.20 | MC 10.23.20 at 8 weeks
TTCAL naturally | starting 11.22.20

Initial consultation with Reproductive Immunologist | 9.14.21
Decidualization score biopsy | 10.1.21 | abnormal - low score of 1; endometrial scratch recommended and progesterone supplementation
Saline sono | 10.15.21 | normal
Bloodwork | 10.21.21 high TSH, high testosterone, positive for anti-nuclear antibodies and histone antibodies, high protein S, multiple genetic mutations
BFP! | 11.3.21 | EDD 7.14.22 B) | biopsy provided same effect as endometrial scratch; added supplemental progesterone and estrogen, prednisone, levothyroxine, and MTX Support to maintain pregnancy
DS born 7.19.22 after induction

TTC #2 begins 6.2023
Consultation with RI | 6.6.23
Saline sono, endometritis biopsy, skin & eye check | all normal
Labs | high TSH, Factor XIII mutation, high %CD56
Follow up | 8.8.23 | prescribed metformin, prednisone, plaquenil, and levothyroxine
Repeat labs after 3 weeks on meds
Follow up | 11.9.23 | Green light!, increase in prednisone, added lovenox
Repeat labs in 8 weeks
Follow up | 1.16.24 | Green light continues
TTC put on pause

Re: Advice: Building Your Baby Registry

• Options
    I'd love to get some help on what sizes of clothes we should register for that are long sleeve vs short sleeve. We start getting consistently cool weather here in WI in October so should some of the 0-3mo clothes be long sleeve? Or will short sleeve suffice as long as I get a little jacket? 

I'm probably panicking about this more than necessary but I'm going to kick myself if we end up with clothes that don't fit him when we need them. Am I making a bigger deal out of this than it is?

Also, is it worth it to register now for the larger bottles for when they are bigger? Or is it best to not register for that since there's going to be so much trial and error with the smaller bottles in the first few months?
    *TW* History:

TTC #1 since 7.2017
    Dx: low morph (1%), ANA positive, low decidualization score, high TSH and testosterone, histone antibodies

IUI #1-3 all BFN
    FET #1 | 9.10.19 | BFN "I know you, but we've never met. I'm with you, but I don't know your name"
    RPL, Receptiva, & ERA testing | all normal/negative, recommended going on gluten and dairy free diet for next FET
    FET #2 | 3.31.20 | Opted to cancelled due to pandemic, continued diet and tried naturally over the summer
    2nd Opinion with another RE | 8.20.20 | Not immune to measles (received 1 dose); SA results similar to 2 years ago; decided to move forward with FET #2 redo at start of next cycle

Decidualization score biopsy | 10.1.21 | abnormal - low score of 1; endometrial scratch recommended and progesterone supplementation
    Bloodwork | 10.21.21 high TSH, high testosterone, positive for anti-nuclear antibodies and histone antibodies, high protein S, multiple genetic mutations
    BFP! | 11.3.21 | EDD 7.14.22 B) | biopsy provided same effect as endometrial scratch; added supplemental progesterone and estrogen, prednisone, levothyroxine, and MTX Support to maintain pregnancy

TTC #2 begins 6.2023
    Follow up | 8.8.23 | prescribed metformin, prednisone, plaquenil, and levothyroxine
    Repeat labs in 8 weeks
    TTC put on pause
  • Options
    I'll mostly contribute info about clothes because that is what I know best haha!
    - I would drop a few things in your registry that you like, as far as clothes goes, so that people can get an idea of your "style". A couple packs of onesies, some pants, a couple of sleep n plays, a specialty item or 2. People will really just buy whatever they think is cute regardless of what you register for.
    - My DS was born 7lbs 14oz (born in Feb) and he was in NB size for maybe 2-3 weeks. 
    - Register for a couple of sizes because you never know which way your baby will grow (long our chunky haha).
    - Carters/OshKosh has a 1 year return policy where you can bring in things with tags and exchange to put toward your purchase you are there to make . This is wicked helpful for allllllll of the clothes that you get at the baby shower that either you don't like, are the wrong size, or LO grows out of them before they can wear them. DS just turned 5 and I still use this - mostly for Christmas/birthday purchases that I don't like haha. 
    @inthewoods23 I think WI has similar weather to NH/VT where I am. October is a weird time haha. For my 5yo he can still wear short sleeves and light pants with a sweatshirt most days until just before Halloween. For babies, I would get more long sleeved onesies, pants, and socks for this time though. At 3 months, they should have a good handle on regulating their body temps but they still need to be bundled a little more than a bigger kid IMO. 

Non-clothing items
    - This time around (second time) I didn't register for a lot of gear for when they are bigger. With the exception of seats. We love this Summer Infant portable camp-like chair that we used daily with DS so we put 2 on our registry for when they hit that 6 month mark. I would say, drop a bouncer seat/bumbo/sit-me-up on your registry but skip the exasaucer. For bottles, register for all the different sizes! I ask for a few 3 oz, a good amount of 5oz and a handful of 9oz. If they're all the same brands, you can interchange the top and nipples depends on baby's preference. 
    - Don't forget to go HAM with burp cloths/receiving cloths and bibs. You can't have enough of those. Also don't forget teethers. Those chompers sneak up on you quick. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @jellie603 lol yes we have had a wide range of temperatures and weather on the night of trick or treating in our town. We've had it as cold as the 20s and up to the 50s. Sometimes snow, sometimes rain. Even November can get unseasonably warm. Early fall is that weird time of warmish during the day but can be very chilly at night so I guess that means I could need anything for clothing!
    *TW* History:

TTC #1 since 7.2017

IUI #1-3 all BFN

TTC #2 begins 6.2023
    Repeat labs in 8 weeks
    TTC put on pause
  • Options

I think if you sign up for a registry with most stores, they’ll offer a welcome gift. If you sign up online you should be able to just go into the store and tell them that you want to pick up your gift. I did this with Target and they didn’t even take down my name. I was so tempted to go to a different target and get a second one lol.

You can either add items to your registry online or by going into the store. They usually have a little scanner that you can carry around with you. I love shopping at an actual brick and mortar, so getting to walk around and scan items was a lot of fun. But also being able to access the list online and make modifications, add items you missed, etc, was really nice. I scanned a lot of things that I ended up taking off and vice versa.

I signed up for Target, Amazon, and Buy Buy Baby. I should have combined them onto babylist but never got around to doing it. It all worked out in the end though.

I never registered for clothing. I figured people are going to buy me the clothing they think is cute anyways. They’re also more likely to buy the newborn/3m clothing than the bigger stuff since the smaller sizes are more adorable.

I built my registry off of Lucie’s list. So there really wasn’t anything I wish I would have put on there that I didn’t. Maybe a highchair. But I doubt anyone would have gotten that for us anyways.

*TW* TTC history
    Me:32 DH:31
    Married: 8/2015

TTC #1: 4/2017
    Testing: HSG, U/S, BW, and DH's SA all normal
    DX: Unexplained
    8/2018: Clomid + TI = BFN
    9/2018: Clomid + TI + Progesterone = BFN
    11/2018: Clomid + IUI + Progesterone = BFN
    12/2018: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone \\ Cancelled due to cyst
    1/2019: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFP! \\ EDD Sept 30th, 2019
    10/7/2019: Healthy baby boy!

TTC #2: 12/2020
    2/2021: Letrozole + TI = BFN
    3/2021: Letrozole + TI = BFN
    4/2021: Surprise! Natural BFP! \\ EDD Jan 6th, 2022 \\ Chemical, betas not rising
    8/2021: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFN
    9/2021: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFN
    10/2021: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFN
    11/2021: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFP! \\ EDD July 29th, 2022

• Options
    FYI: Babylist (and similar) are super easy for the mom, but super annoying for the person buying. A lot of times the prices or availability are wrong, and if you want to get a couple of small things they are at different sites (and it's not always clear on babylist), and then you are supposed to go back to babylist and report what you bought (and likely some people don't so you probably will get multiples). I hate it. I'm not a huge amazon fan, but it is waaaay easier and you can link to outside sites. 
    TTC History
    TTC #1 Sep 2017-Sep 2018 
    BFP 11/30/2017 | MMC 12/31/2017
    BFP 6/22/2018 | CP 6/27/2018
    BFP 10/5/2018 | EDD 6/14/2019
    Baby girl born 6/19/19

TTC #2 May 2020-November 2021
    BFP 7/18/2020 | MonoDi Twins | MMC 9/10/2020
    BFP 11/7/2020 | CP 11/9/2020
    RE Consult January 2021 | Dx "borderline DOR"/RPL
    IVF with PGT:
    Standard Antagonist:
    ER #1 3/27/2021 7R | 5M | 3F | 2B | 1 PGT-A Normal, 1 low-level mosaic
    ER #2 4/22/2021 10R | 7M | 3F | 2B | 0 normal, 2 aneuploid
    ER #3 5/19/2021 2R | 1M | 0F
    Estrogen Priming Antagonist:
    ER #4 7/10/2021 5R | 4M | 3F | 1B | 1 PGT-A Normal
    Duostim  (Standard Antagonist):
    ER #5 9/22/2021 13R | 11M | 8F | 5B | 2 PGT-A Normal, 1 low-level mosaic, 2 aneuploid
    ER #6 10/9/2021  9R | 6M | 4 F | 1B | 1 aneuploid
    FET #1  11/5/2021 | EDD 7/24/2022
    Baby boy born 7/19/22

TTC #3 since May 2023 (ntnp)
    IVF Started Fall 2023 (Standard Antagonist)
    ER #7 10/6/2023 | 9R | 6M | 5F | 3B | 2 aneuploid, 1 high-level mosaic
    ER #8 10/31/2023 | 5R | 4M | 3F | 1B | 1 PGT-A Normal
    FET #2 11/27/23 | CP (bHCG = 8)
    FET #3 planned Jan 2024

• Options
    oli9oli9 member
    @bumblebee0210 I agree about Babylist. It’s super annoying. My sister-in-law used Babylist for her shower and it wasn’t accurate at all and she got multiples of things because people didnt report that they purchased something in the store vs others who purchased it online so at her shower she had 3 baby bouncers, 2 play pens, 4 diaper bags, 3 bassinets and 2 travel systems! She then had to spend the time to transport all of these big items and get them back to the store for returns. It was more than a hassle for her at 8 months pregnant and my brother who literally had to rent a u-haul after the shower to even get the stuff home! It was crazy. 
  • Options
    @bumblebee0210 @oli9 thanks for mentioning that! I remember running into that issue with a friends registry, it’s hard to remember to go back and mark it. Definitely will not use babylist after all. What’s a better way to still be able to register thru different stores? 
  • Options
    @inthewoods23 i didn't register for any clothes. people got us some but they'll buy what they buy - they change in stores so often that unless you register for things right before people buy, they are hard to find.  if baby fits in newborn clothes it's only for about a month. every baby grows differently though. IF you do buy clothes ahead, consider places that have long return policies (Kohls is 6 months, Target if you buy Cat and Jack brand is 1 year).  Regarding bottles - that really depends too. IF you are registered a lot of times you have a year to return (but check the registry specifics), If you plan on breastfeeding, baby's tend to take in the same amount in OZ the whole time so you never need bigger bottles - If you plan on using formula that changes. we DID register for some things we didn't need right away - like a high chair - so that's totally up to you AS LONG AS you are 100% on what you want.  I registered for some stuff just to have it and didn't realy know there were big differences or things that I should even be looking for in a product so that was tough and we ended up reselling some of that stuff and am getting different things for this baby.  also depends on how much space you have to store stuff.

Adding to the dislike for BabyList - i've heard its super annoying for the buyer and you can end up with a non-accurate list. ALSO if you are registered with other specific stores you don't get their registry perks (like longer return windows)

My input

First time we registered at Buy Buy Baby, Target, and Amazon. Amazon was mostly just for us. this time we skipped the BBB registry because the local store by us closed and I"m not driving 30 miles to return stuff, plus we don't need as much for a second kiddo.  I registered at those places due to discounts and length of time to return items, as well as availability of items we like.

For Baby #2 we just have a private Target and Amazon registry - the amazon one is primarily for us to get discounts on other wipes/diapers that we like that target doesn't sell and then have a Target one in case anyone wants to get us something

Don't feel like you have to register for EVERYTHING they suggest. so many things are unnecessary.
    IMO , important things to consider registering for are: bassinet, pack n play, sheets, crib mattress, mattress protector, pacifiers, bottles if using, breastmilk storage bags if using, sound machine, diapers in various sizes, wipes, bouncer or swing if using, baby carrier if using, car seats, stroller, diaper bag, burp cloths, and high chair.  IF you are considering breastfeeding, also check out the Kiinde system before registering for bottles and related items
    Try everything out at the store if you can. Talk to other parents who have young kids to decide what you like.

What I got for first baby that i ended up hating - the bouncer and swing we had, kiddo never liked them and just wanted to be held, and the ingenuity highchair.  it was FINE but not great. I later learned so much about the importance of having a FOOT REST that most chairs don't have and making sure the seat is adjustable and doesn't lean back.  We plan on getting a Tripp Trapp chair this time around due to longevity of use and better support for feeding

When we had our shower, we also asked for people to sign a book rather than getting us a card - it helped us build our library, wasn't much more than the cost of a card in most cases, and is still fun to read the messages in the books when we read each book. 
  • Options
    Last comment on babylist/other registries
    Amazon and Target both have universal registries.  on my current Target registry there's a list at the bottom of items from other sites and it was pretty easy to add them
  • Options
    Hmm... This is good to know about Babylist!

I think most of what we want can be found at Target or Amazon. I did see a few things at Buy Buy Baby that I liked but maybe they can also be found at Target or Amazon. We have a location not too far from us but I'm not sure for the rest of my family.

A friend of mine mentioned that spending $500+ from your registry gets you really good discounts on diapers and/or wipes. Anyone know about this?

How many diapers does a baby go through each day? I'm wondering just how many of each diaper size is good to register for. Or does it not matter since you can always return unused boxes of them?
    *TW* History:

TTC #1 since 7.2017

IUI #1-3 all BFN

TTC #2 begins 6.2023
    Repeat labs in 8 weeks
    TTC put on pause
  • Options
    I'll second Lucie's list as a good place to start for registry info. I feel like the shopping websites put way too much that's not really necessary. Plus the writers on that blog are humorous and I actually enjoy their newsletters.

I've only had winter babes in the past so this will be a new experience but keep in mind most docs don't recommend sunscreen until 6 mos so even lightweight long sleeves may be ok in summer and early fall. In WI anyways if it's not too hot. 

With our first we had 2 pretty big baby showers (big families on both sides) so I did register for some stuff needed down the road- plates, cups, high chair, baby silverware, some basic clothes in bigger sizes. We also registered for an infant car seat and the Graco 4ever and got both. I'd say some people like chipping in for a bigger gift and others like having cheaper options on their own so having a variety of prices is nice. 

And for anything you don't get don't forget to look secondhand. We got a nice swing/rocker on FB marketplace and a Bumbo seat which we used as a high chair when traveling for like 10-15 bucks each.
  • Options
    @inthewoods23 It also depends on how fast your kid goes through the sizes. You do NOT want ill-fitting diapers. That's how you get constant leak and blow out problems. I think you can also only return unused boxes. If you get the giant ones which really are the best price, you probably can't return an open one. 

My kids are in size 4 by Christmas so I'm buying one of each size up to 4. But I have fast growing giants. 

They say the average is 8 a day (changing every 3 hours at minimum) but I honestly do not think I change that often. I definitely change everytime there is a poop, which can vary a lot in newborns. But I feel like 8 a day is high. To be fair, I also refuse to try and track it and do not have time for that.  
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
    Started dating: July 1st, 2013
    Engaged: July 1st, 2014
    Married: July 1st, 2016
    R born: July 8th, 2017
    N born: June 30th, 2019
    Baby #3 Due: July 7th, 2022
    (maybe I only ovulate in October XD)
  • Options
    @inthewoods23 @tuxielove93 my first kiddo went through 8-12 a day for the first 1-2 months. He pooped at least 8 times a day. It was nuts. After that I would say about 8 a day for a while, depending on how they sleep at night. 
    We cloth diaper after the first month or so and just keep a small package of disposable in each size for outings. 
  • Options
    Agree that babylist is super annoying as a buyer. Nothing was ever in stock and it's really annoying to have to go back and mark what you bought and didn't end up buying (because said item was actually our of stock). I used buybuybaby for my registry last time. I need to create an amazon an maybe target one just to get the discount for the few things I need to buy. 

Buybuybaby gave me this little booklet when I registered that had a really helpful list of items you should place on your registry! 

• Options
    oli9oli9 member
    This is our seventh baby so we aren’t having a baby shower, HOWEVER, I am an organizational freak and I must have a plan in front of me for everything or I get anxious, so I started an AMAZON registry to stay organized with what we need for baby 7. Every week my husband and I get on the registry and purchase 2 or 3 more items from our own registry so we can basically ‘check off’ what we’ve tackled. I even put my postpartum and hospital necessities on the registry so I see them and will get them as I go. If you’re a PRIME member you get a free baby registry box valued at $35 if you 1. Start a registry and add 100% of the categories listed 2. Make a $10 purchase from your registry. We got the baby box and it had full size samples of Hello Bello items, wipes,  a bottle, a pacifier, a burp cloth, a onesie, diaper samples and a few other item. Nothing crazy but I like free stuff, especially for shopping my own registry for
    things I need for baby. 
  • Options
    cmhmecmhme member
    Want to add to @jellie603 get more than you think for burp cloths...i only registered for like 6 or 8 which was two packs and seemed reasonable. Thankfully my friend gave us a stack because you are going to want them all over your house all the time. I would say we ended with 20 and i dont think thats too many. Plus they can just be cleaning rags when you are done.

On the other hand, i also have 20ish burp handkerchief things that snap around their necks and look cute but they never were big enough except for slobber while teething so i would not recommend.

Maybe i just had a super messy #1 ;-)

The small things not to forget are diaper cream, fingernail clippers, and bath soap.
    Our Journey:
    Me: 40
    TTC since 2017
    3/18-9/18- IUI's
    11/18- IVF #1
    1/19- IVF #2
    8/19- DE Cycle #1- 5 PGS tested normal
    9/19- FET #1- SUCCESS! May 2020
    10/21- FET #2- SUCCESS! July 2022
  • Options
    ^ speaking of fingernail clippers. HIGHLY recommend getting a mini glass nail file and cuticle trimmers for cutting nails. Regular baby nail clippers were annoying and my baby had bendy nails for a while so they didn’t really do anything. Even the nail frida ones I did not find helpful. And I still use the cuticle trimmers to cut my toddlers nails 
  • Options
    @runnergirl2018 yes!! We use the cuticle scissors on our girls because it’s so much easier to not accidentally cut skin.
  • Options
    I wasn't originally planning on registering for a swing or bouncer but it sounds like my parents want to take what my sister has to leave at their house and for me to register for my own stuff.

SO.... is it worth it to get a swing that swings multiple ways like side to side and front to back? Or are babies going to only like one way? Thoughts on a Mamaroo?
    *TW* History:

TTC #1 since 7.2017

IUI #1-3 all BFN

TTC #2 begins 6.2023
    Repeat labs in 8 weeks
    TTC put on pause
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    @inthewoods23  I got a swing second hand for my parents house! Definitely a good idea..especially if you’re over a lot, it’d be a hassle to move it around. I got a Mamaroo for my house, not sure how it is. But hoping baby will love it.. also got it secondhand! I didn’t want to splurge on it if she hated it. I’ve heard, as everything is, a hit or miss
  • Options
    @inthewoods23 we have a mamaroo and both my daughters liked it. The mobile broke off of it pretty easily, but both were more interested in watching life go on around them.  I guess I feel pretty indifferent about them, so if there is a cheaper swing but maybe something else you’d like as a splurge, then maybe go the route of a cheaper swing. Also, babies aren’t in swings that long, the mamaroo doesn’t break down real well for storage and they’re expensive. 
  • Options
    @inthewoods23 - DD loved her swing! It was the only way we could sit down and eat dinner together for the first few weeks. We have this one - super cheap $99! 
  • Options
    oli9oli9 member
    @inthewoods23 I got the mamaroo as a gift with my now 4 year old daughter and she HATED it. My son also hated it as well. I’m glad I didn’t spend the money on it myself because the outcome was disappointing. I was in denial that they didn’t like it because I personally thought it was so cool and aesthetically pleasing, so I tried and tried to use it, but each time it was the same thing. I ended up giving it to my friend whose baby was also not a fan of it. My other kids had traditional baby swings that they all loved and slept in for months. I don’t have space for any extra things this time around but if I was going to get a swing it would be a regular baby swing that swings one direction and doesn’t do anything else. 
  • Options
    I got this cheap one from Target. It was honestly the best! I didn't realize how convenient it was to be able to collapse it down so easily. But that's what we did. I mostly used it in the bathroom while I took a shower, since DS never liked to be put down. Then we'd collapse it down so it wasn't taking up so much space. 
    https://www.target.com/p/graco-slim-spaces-compact-baby-swing-humphry/-/A-75568351
    *TW* TTC history
    Me:32 DH:31
    Married: 8/2015

TTC #1: 4/2017
    Testing: HSG, U/S, BW, and DH's SA all normal
    DX: Unexplained
    8/2018: Clomid + TI = BFN
    9/2018: Clomid + TI + Progesterone = BFN
    11/2018: Clomid + IUI + Progesterone = BFN
    12/2018: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone \\ Cancelled due to cyst
    1/2019: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFP! \\ EDD Sept 30th, 2019
    10/7/2019: Healthy baby boy!

TTC #2: 12/2020
    2/2021: Letrozole + TI = BFN
    3/2021: Letrozole + TI = BFN
    4/2021: Surprise! Natural BFP! \\ EDD Jan 6th, 2022 \\ Chemical, betas not rising
    8/2021: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFN
    9/2021: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFN
    10/2021: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFN
    11/2021: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFP! \\ EDD July 29th, 2022

• Options
    I think a baby carrier/wrap is a must! Especially in the beginning, when baby always wants to be held, but you still need to get stuff done. I didn't use one with my first and it would have made things so much easier. I love the one I have from Baby Tula.
    https://babytula.com/collections/free-to-grow-baby-carriers

• Options
    @inthewoods23 every baby is different. If you do go for a swing I recommend one that goes side to side and forward to back because some babies like one more than another. Mine hated my front tk back swing but loved the side to side swing at his daycare. He never likes his bouncer. I got a mamaroo on a super black Friday deal figuring if this next baby doesn’t like it I’ll probably be able to resell it for about what I paid for it