September 2022 Moms

March Appointments Thread

2»

Re: March Appointments Thread

• Just had my 16-week appointment and that little heartbeat is still strong at 160! Such a relief. Next appointment is the anatomy scan in April. Can't believe we are almost halfway there!
  • @whitta1015 I'm hoping for a delivery without induction, but DS came at 41+1 after 5 days of ripening agents. Finally on day 5 my cervix decided to join the contractions at the party. I have this lingering concern that my body won't "ripen" in time and I'll be pressured into a c-section. If round 2 is like round 1, I think I'd choose induction, even with pitocin, to try to avoid a C-Section. 

I cannot for the life of me write this in an order that makes sense:

DS was a big baby (9lb. 8 oz.), so I didn't really consider that the due dates could have been off. I've had a few years to think about this. There is so much about reproduction that I was fully unaware of through that pregnancy. My ovulation is regularly delayed. Parts of me wonder if that played a bigger part in the due date for DS than I realized at the time.

We're seeing it with this baby too, as measurements were 5 days behind for our first U/S but needed to be 6 days behind to update the due date. Then at our second U/S it needed to be 7 days behind but measured 6 days behind. I'm curious to see if it actually changes at our 20w U/S. Trying to put trust in my body and consider that second deliveries can often go faster than firsts to keep my spirits up.
  • Loading the player...
  • I had my fetal assessment this morning. Baby looks healthy and with a strong heart beat. I'm measuring a bit ahead - instead of 13 + 1, I am measuring 13 + 4. The new due date is September 24th. This is consistent with the dating scan that I did previously. After today's ultrasound, I feel more confident about telling more people (e.g., my boss) about the pregnancy and no longer feel the need to hide it.
  • Headed down to get my saline lock put in so I can do my IV antibiotics at home for the next couple days. It actually worked out perfectly, as I was already slated to work from home tomorrow for a training, and then I don't work on Fridays and Saturdays. So no trying to talk the boss into a work from home arrangement.
    Current pregnancy -
    First BFP on 1/4/22.  Due date 9/13/22.

Four prior losses, no living children - 1 first trimester miscarriage, 1 blighted ovum, 1 chemical, and one extreme premature live birth daughter who died at 15 days old.

• Fun with IV antibiotics.  I'll go home with the line in place and do the other two doses myself over the next two days. 

Current pregnancy -

Four prior losses, no living children - 1 first trimester miscarriage, 1 blighted ovum, 1 chemical, and one extreme premature live birth daughter who died at 15 days old.

• @kboydbowman Bummer about the IV antibiotics but at least you will get to be at home. Fingers crossed that this helps! 
  • Had a great 16w appointment today! Got second trimester blood drawn and next ultrasound will be the big anatomy scan! 
  • Hi knottie and welcome to the board - make sure you stop by the introductions thread and introduce yourself.
    Current pregnancy -

• Do y'all get a finger prick at each visit? I remember last time (5 years ago), they would prick my finger and update my iron level in my charts every time. Which is how we knew I needed to be on a supplement. They haven't done that this go-around.
  • @whitta1015 I’ve never gotten a finger prick test with my OB or even with my family doctor. We get a few full blood draws throughout the pregnancy to check all levels. 
  • @whitta1015 I think my iron was checked at one of the first appointments, and then they check again in the third trimester, but they don't check anything except weight, fetal HB, blood pressure, fundal height and how are you doing, at any of my other appointments.
  • @jhysmath Yeah I think they checked mine early on too. and that's all they do for me, so I guess they quit with it. Guess I'll know it if my levels drop. haha
  • @whitta1015 I never had that, but I do remember them checking my iron at some point. I'm super bummed that the iron supplement I took last time doesn't seem to be manufactured anymore, and it was literally the only one that didn't make me feel like garbage. Hopefully if I need one again I'll be able to find something. 🤞🏻
    DD 10/2019
  • Another appointment today for labs to hopefully see if my UTI has gone away. Fingers crossed bc I really am tired of taking impromptu time off for appointments. 🙄
  • Sitting and waiting for the 60-minute time to pass from having the AWFUL-TASTING Glucola. It’s been half an hour and it’s still in my throat 😭 and I can’t have anything until after the blood draw.
  • @pangolindrome hopefully you pass this one and won’t have to do the 3-hour one. I didn’t pass the 1-hour so the 3-hour was pure torture because you can’t eat or drink anything for 12 hrs prior. I scheduled mine the earliest I could at 8am but I was soooo hungry. 
  • I don't have to do the glucose tolerance tests, because the nature of my WLS makes the results meaningless.  What I'll get to do instead is finger sticks for like 2 weeks some time in May.
    Current pregnancy -

• pangolindromepangolindrome member
    edited March 2022
    @newbabymama27 No gestational diabetes for me, I thankfully passed mine. I’m sorry you had to go through that!
  • @pangolindrome woo hoo!! That’s a reason to celebrate for sure. At least I was lucky my 3 hr test was negative! How far along are you? We don’t do the glucose test here in my part of Canada until 24-28 weeks. 
  • Had my first meeting with midwives this week and 13 week scan with the doctor. My 10 year old daughter attended with us and was absolutely mesmerized by the ultrasound which was such a sweet experience! 

I also learned about “nub theory” which I had never even heard of before! 
  • @newbabymama27 I am 13w5d, so they do it much sooner in the USA. Maybe I’ll have to do it again 😶 but I hope not!
    I am glad for you too! Negative is best in this case!!!
  • @pangolindrome you likely had to do it early for other factors, they will retest you at 28 weeks again. I get tested early because there is history of T2 diabetes in my family as well as being overweight. Now since I had GD with my first and a 10lb baby without GD for my second, they test me early because of that too. 

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but most people won't develop GD until 28 weeks so you will be tested again.
  • I was going to say the same thing as @jhysmath. We don't do glucose testing until right about 28 weeks with my doctor (I'm in the U.S.), and if it's done earlier, you probably have another reason for needing it so soon. With my daughter, I was perfectly in the middle of average and passed - which surprised everyone because I had gained almost 40 pounds by then - and I know my doctor doesn't plan to test me for the first time until 28 weeks.
    DD 10/2019
  • @jhysmath @trapperkeeper87 That’s really weird because I have literally no other factors, neither personally nor in my family, and I’m perfectly healthy. Maybe my doctor’s office is just particular like that?
    At least I know I might have to taste that sadness again.
  • @pangolindrome I just chug it all in less than a minute so I don't taste it. The last one I drank in front of the midwife in our appointment and she was like you need to make sure you finish it in 10 minutes, I said oh I know don't worry. I chugged it down and she asked if people liked that trick in college. I had to inform her I don't drink, but my chugging skills are pretty spot on 😂
  • @jhysmath I hate the taste of orange soda, but honestly, that drink just tastes like flat Fanta. I was able to down it in about 3 minutes, but I don't like chugging drinks at all (also not a drinker). I've never understood how anyone can chug anything without getting a stomach ache! 😅
    DD 10/2019
  • @trapperkeeper87
    I drink water the same way. I just drink fast I guess. You're right that the flavor isn't bad, but I just drink it fast in case it doesn't agree with my taste buds at that test. I think I get it down in 10 seconds lol. 
  • pangolindromepangolindrome member
    edited March 2022
    @jhysmath I drank it in 20 seconds but the taste stuck in my throat 🤷‍♀️ so I was stuck tasting it for an hour. If I have to drink it again it will NOT be the fruit punch one.
  • I hate hate hate hate fake orange flavor.  Like it-will-make-me-barf level of hate.
    Current pregnancy -

• @kboydbowman I heard a lot of clinics in the US have a couple options, not just the orange. Fingers crossed for you 🤞🏻
  • @kboydbowman I had to do the 1 and 3 hour last time. For one hour I had options and one was fruit punch which actually was decent but 3 hour was a larger bottle and they only had orange. 🤢
  • Usually I actually get out of it altogether - the nature of my WLS makes the results not particularly reliable.  They'll mostly likely have me do two weeks worth of finger sticks instead.
    Current pregnancy -

• This month I saw a diabetes nurse and a dietitian. The dietitian recommended a continuous glucose monitor but my OB and primary both refused to order one for me. So I guess I’ll keep poking and poking and poking 🥴
  • 16 week OB done… up 10 lbs 🙃 I’d like to blame the converse I’m wearing today but…
  • @pangolindrome My Dr. had my glucose levels tested early this time, around 12 weeks, since my first was 9.5 lbs. It came out fine, no GD for me yet. I'll still have to do the "yummy" drink when we get farther down the road. I don't remember the flavor lingering last time, but it's been 8 years. Your note about the taste getting stuck in your throat makes me think I'll probably bring some hard candy or halls breezers or something in my purse just in case.