October 2022 Moms

Weight Gain

Hi everyone, I am 7 weeks pregnant tomorrow after a long journey of IVF and multiple losses… I’m so happy but I am concerned about my weight. I am of a normal BMI, but I am gaining so much weight already. I’ve gained 6 lbs but according to my research online, at this point I should only gain 0-2 lbs. Has anyone else gained a ton of weight? I’ve been restricted from working out, going for walks, and lifting over 10 lbs. I’m not yet nauseous but instead have an increased appetite, but I have been eating really well and healthy! I worry I am on the path to gestational diabetes. Anyone else in the same boat or am I just over thinking this?

Re: Weight Gain

• @kaylinde I gained several pounds the first couple weeks, but now it seems to have leveled off. So much can be attributed to bloat at this stage!

When I was pregnant with my first, I gained around 15 lbs during my first trimester and 50 lbs total, starting from a normal BMI. I felt like I had no control over it, and although I ate a little more than usual, it seemed excessive. My midwives didn’t bat an eye though and reassured me that my body was just doing what it needed to. Sure enough, the weight came off gradually over about 9 months.

Anyway, I guess what I’m trying to say is don’t sweat it at this point, although easier said than done. The first trimester is really about survival, and some women gain a lot of weight and some lose a lot from nausea. There is a big range of normal, even though online sources like to say you “should” gain 0-5 lbs during the first trimester. That is often not what happens. Everybody is different and will react differently to these hormonal changes. If you have some energy exercise is good but if you don’t that’s ok. It will improve in your second trimester.

All that said, it wouldn’t hurt to discuss with your caregiver at your next appt just for reassurance. But I def wouldn’t be worried at this point!
  • I gained 20 pounds just from fertility meds and the stress of TTC! 😣 all will be worth it if I get out of this with a healthy baby though. ❤️🙏🏻🤞🏻
  • Loading the player...
  • @merostomata thank you for your reply! I have my next appointment tomorrow and I’ll definitely bring it up but it helps to know that someone such as yourself that has experience with this got through it. If my body is just doing what it needs to do then this is all just fine with me :)
  • @rockstarmomma152 yes I know all too well the weight gain of fertility meds! It will all be worth it in the end :)
  • I'm actually having the opposite concern because I've lost 5lbs so far, but I think that's largely because I'm normally a sugarvore and this baby does not have a sweet tooth so my sugar intake is much lower. I'm also nursing at the same time so maybe I need to up my food intake more (normally not a problem for me  :D ). If it keeps dropping significantly I'm going to flag to my midwife.
  • @kaylinde with my first IVF transfer I gained 10 pounds between the restrictions and the drugs. I lost 5 throughout the first trimester. This time i have gained 3 pounds- (i held off on enforcing the more stringent restrictions until after the transfer) and those pounds have held on even though im walking and throwing up two-three times a day. Most of it is bloat. It will work itself out - once your restriction lift and you come off the additional meds some of the weight will come off and then you will gain it back- soooo 🤷🏻‍♀️