August 2022 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight: Car seats/Strollers

Questions or suggestions about car seats or strollers, put it here.
Links or real life photos are always helpful and appreciated.
Pregnancy Ticker

5.5.16 | 8.14.17 | 1.30.19

Re: Product Spotlight: Car seats/Strollers

• Options
    Been waiting! Anyone with a Doona please share pros and cons please! Pretty certain we’re getting one due to lack of space but would love to hear it all before committing an arm and leg. 
    *will be posting the review of our two car seats we have momentarily. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Carseats:

Know we had a conversation in a different thread about infant car seats. For us, we have always used Chicco Keyfit30. It has great reviews and worked well for us.

There are a lot of options on convertible seats but I think they really all have pros and cons and it’s more specific for your needs. My personal favorite is Britax brand.

We’re currently using two Britax marathons, and a Graco Transitionz, and a highback booster. Something that I’m not a fan of with Graco seats is that the clasps are extremely easy to unbuckle. My son unbuckles atleast once while driving. So that’s something to keep in mind. I’m pretty sure most of their buckles are the same.

Strollers:

I’m currently using a Joovy Caboose double stroller. I can click in a car seat if I want, which I will do. Or it can be two riders. My single stroller is a click in for the Chicco. I love the Joovy. It’s lightweight and easy to maneuver. I wanted a front back double, not side to side, and it’s been a great investment.

I will edit and add photos later.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    dimeadozendimeadozen member
    edited February 2022
    Infant carrier: Chicco Keyfit (paired with the travel system) 
    Convertible: Graco 4ever Extend2fit 
    We went with these two options because they were well known brands that we felt the girls would be safe in without breaking the bank. 

I don’t have many complaints about either. We enjoyed the keyfit and loved that it could ‘click’ into a stroller for ease when shopping or walking around the neighborhood. We used it for DD #1 and #2. When they grew out of their seats we upgraded them both to 4ever Extend2fits. We love those seats, but I don’t like that there’s little space for DD1’s legs. My husband is 5’10, so not a giant and she’s squished behind his seat forward facing, she’s 3 - which I think is crazy since we have an odyssey, like the ultimate ‘mom’ van built to tow tons of children. 
    I would recommend them again, but we are switching things up with the 3rd due to limited space. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'm obsessed with this travel system (Britax B-Agile and B-Safe) because it's a high quality carseat, very lightweight and maneuverable stroller (and durable), and when doing online research, it seems to me that the only travel systems that are of a higher quality than Britax are at a significantly higher price point. So it's not cheap, but it's not prohibitively expensive either.

For the convertible we have this guy. Brand loyalty to Britax, but also don't need the most expensive one.

• Options
    @wisewitch222 I love Britax. The clicktights seats are so easy to install. I’m currently researching 3 across seats and I’m so disappointed the Britaxs are just too wide to work for all the kids.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Yeah, #1 is moving into a Mifold because it's the only way we don't have to replace our beloved Honda CRV. He will be 7 1/2 when baby is born, though, and the law in PA is 8 and he will definitely have reached the height requirements by then, so I'm not going to sweat it.
  • Options
    I've been doing some research to best fit 3 acrossn in my Kia Sorento. Seems I'll need to replace one of our convertible carseats for my car in order to fit 3 across. I have a 3rd row but I'd much prefer to have the trunk space and not have to crawl into the back to help DD with her buckle everytime. 
  • Options
    We went to Target after dinner tonight and played with strollers. Glad I'm getting his opinion on things now. He immediately eliminated all plastic wheels from our selection, which for what they had at our store narrowed it down to the Graco Fast Action Jogger. What are good comparisons? Planning a trip to visit a friend in Columbus soon, where they actually have a buy buy baby.
  • Options
    We've decided to go with the Peg Perego YSPI travel system. It's got great reviews, it's a stroller and car seat and we really like the telescoping push bar since I'm 5'1 and MH is 6'2 and that's it's one hand foldable and lightweight.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KD7WP74/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_FNK5BCAGFNDSNH9Y70J6
  • Options
    I have the britax endeavor travel system. I used it with DD and she hated it but I was told it’s the “safest” bucket seat on the market which is why I bought it in 2018. It doesn’t expire until 2023 so we will have to switch to a convertible car seat  5-6 months. I like the stroller, it’s easy to manage with one hand but it’s great when it’s bumpy.

The convertible seat is Graco and is the “grows with me” one. I’m not sure and will check tomorrow. 
  • Options
    We have a Chicco Keyfit + City Mini we will reuse for this babe.

DS1 is in a Nuna Rava which we love.  Easy install, and high weight limit for rear facing.  Super helpful bc he’s a big kid.
  • Options
    darkrose88darkrose88 member
    edited February 2022
    We have a Graco SnugRide SnugLock 35 infant carseat. We actually got it as part of a travel system with a stroller, but absolutely hate the stroller it came with, so we've upgraded since then. We now have the Joovy Qool Customizable stroller, and will get the Graco infant carseat attachment to use it with baby's infant seat. 

DS uses the Britax Boulevard clicktight convertible and we absolutely love the carseat. I'm hoping DS will be mature enough for a booster seat so that when we can move him into a booster when baby is ready for the convertible. He meets the age and weight limits for a booster, but I wouldn't trust him to keep the seatbelt properly positioned yet. 
  • Options
    BUYBUYBABY IS HAVING A MASSIVE CAR SEAT SALE!

Just got two Graco slim fit 3-in-1 car seats for $160 (that's plus shipping which was like $34). I think that's amazing. Go go go! 
  • Options
    Just checked out the sale!

We have the Uppababy vista V2 travel system (and the uppababy Mesa car seat) - love how easy this travel system is, and super easy to add #2 into the mix on this stroller and make it a double!

For our second car, and for when our daughter outgrows the infant car seat, we have the Graco Extend2Fit and I see it’s on sale in the buy buy baby sale for $167 (normally $210).

Of course the uppababy stuff isn’t included in the sale but it never is 🤷🏼‍♀️
  • Options
    starkettestarkette member
    edited February 2022
    Be careful with the random facebook ad...apparently it's a scam. Boo.
  • Options
    With my 1st daughter I used safety 1st travel system i used the same brand infant seats with my twins in a baby trend snap and go around town.  I usually switch to a jogger with air filled tires when they have enough head control.  With my daughter it was a mama's and papa's single jogger.  With the twins it was a valco twin tri-mode which sat all 3 kids.  We like air filled tires because we go off road quite a bit and the small plastic wheels can't handle that.  With this baby I'm not sure what we will use yet.
  • Options
    We have chicco keyfit 30 that we loved but unfortunately it’s expired. My sister used it for both her babies so I am telling myself we got good use out of it! I’m sure we will just get the same thing again.

We also used and loved the Uppababy Cruz which we have the bassinet for which was nice for long stroller rides when she was an infant and we used it for sleep in our room. My only concern with this stroller choice for us now is we lived in the city before with an elevator and sidewalks everywhere and now are our in the burbs and I may want something all terrain. I may just get a jogger to supplement.
  • Options
    What is the best car seat and best stroller for twins??
  • Options
    @danielled100394 I don’t have twins but I have two little boys and I love the contours options elite tandem double stroller. It’s modular so you can configure it all different ways.  
  • Options
    @paytonpedro

I will have to do some research on that!! Thank you!
  • Options
    I have the double bob and I absolutely love it. I had a Graco and I really disliked it. I like that the bob is a side by side. 
  • Options
    I just spent many hours researching affordable, quality car seats that can fit 3 across. Figured I’d share in case anyone finds it useful. We’ll be having two rear-facing (one convertible and one infant seat) and a booster. I’m going with the Graco Snugride Snuglock 35 platinum XT, the Graco SlimFit3 LX and the Graco RightGuide booster. The booster is a backless booster, but if we still needed a high back booster I would have chosen the Mifold hifold seat. 

I wasn’t specifically trying to find Graco seats but I found that people complained about the Diono radian being too tall, so not great for rear facing in a smaller car, and Clek are way too expensive for me. Babytrend makes a narrow infant seat but it’s a $90 seat and the quality didn't seem great. 
    Me: 35  H: 35
    Married: 4/5/13

"You know that place between sleep and awake, 
    that place where you can still remember dreaming?
    That's where I will always love you.  
    That's where I'll be waiting."
    ~Peter Pan 

*TW*
    BFP #1: 11/12/12  EDD 7/25/13 Baby boy: 7/27/13
    BFP #2: 10/29/17   MMC dx @ 9 weeks
    BFP #3: 2/2/18 MC 2/7/18
    BFP #4: 3/2/18  MC 3/9/18
    RPL testing and hysteroscopy: all normal
    BFP #5: 4/1/18 MMC dx @ 14 weeks ----> genetically normal girl  :'(
    Hysteroscopy to remove scar tissue 9/28
    BFP #6 11/5/18 EDD 7/20/19  <3  Rainbow baby girl born 7/23/19 
    BFP #7 12/8/2021 EDD 8/22/2022 
  • Options
    @coco2787 for the record my 6.5 year old who is the size of an average 8-10 year old loves the hifold better than the several backless boosters we tried. 
  • Options
    @coco2787 that's super helpful! We need the same combo, so that's great to hear. I've been seriously looking at the Graco slimfit and I think it's best for what we need, too. Though I might do two of them and have the baby in a convertible seat from the get go...but not sure.
  • Options
    @mdfarmchick that’s good to know! My son is 8.5 and currently uses a high back booster because he’s on the smaller side but since the mifold doesn’t convert I was worried he’d feel like he was too old for that kind of seat since he’ll be 9 by the time baby is here (although it is cooler looking than most boosters) 
    Me: 35  H: 35
    Married: 4/5/13

"You know that place between sleep and awake, 
    that place where you can still remember dreaming?
    That's where I will always love you.  
    That's where I'll be waiting."
    ~Peter Pan 

*TW*
    BFP #1: 11/12/12  EDD 7/25/13 Baby boy: 7/27/13
    BFP #2: 10/29/17   MMC dx @ 9 weeks
    BFP #3: 2/2/18 MC 2/7/18
    BFP #4: 3/2/18  MC 3/9/18
    RPL testing and hysteroscopy: all normal
    BFP #5: 4/1/18 MMC dx @ 14 weeks ----> genetically normal girl  :'(
    Hysteroscopy to remove scar tissue 9/28
    BFP #6 11/5/18 EDD 7/20/19  <3  Rainbow baby girl born 7/23/19 
    BFP #7 12/8/2021 EDD 8/22/2022 
  • Options
    @coco2787 same with DD1, she noticed none of her friends had booster seats with full backs anymore and felt a bit self conscious about it. So we switched to a backless booster. It's so much easier to move from car to car, obviously, and she feels more grown up. She's 8 so it's fine by me, whatever she prefers.
  • Options
    @starkette as long as she is safe, happy, and healthy, right? 😊
  • Options
    This might be a silly question - but we have figured out what we are registering/purchasing for the infant and stroller travel system. But would the next step up be the convertible seat for when they outgrow the infant seat? Do people normally register for those? 
  • Options
    @brittanynmorris it’s totally a personal choice! If you get an infant car seat, you’ll need the convertible eventually but (depending on how fast your baby grows) you’ll have a few months until you need it. My daughter is almost a year old and we still use the infant seat with her because she’s a little peanut. We were also gifted a convertible and just put that in our second car. To me, it kind of depends on how many people will buy you gifts haha, if you know there are a lot, I’d add it on! If there aren’t a ton, I might be more focused on the items I’d need right away, rather than down the road. 
  • Options
    @brittanynmorris We did not. Convertibles are expensive, so it was nice to not have to shell out that $300 extra dollars until a year after we bought the infant seat.
  • Options
    @brittanynmorris echoing personal choice. With the first I didn’t, mainly because I wasn’t thinking ahead. 
    Some people will want to think ahead to cover you 
    and some like to get the bigger purchases. 

With DD2 I did solely because I knew we wouldn’t have a shower but that our parents would still want to buy stuff. 
    My parents are the “here we’ll buy the baby something big then never really buy anything again.” So I got lucky with them buying a big purchase. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I didn’t put the convertible seat on ours. I also didn’t put a car seat on ours at all. I think it was just one of the things I really wanted to buy myself. And I also ordered one specifically online because I wanted white plastic for the seat, and knew most people looking at my registry weren’t going to do online shopping. Personal preference 🤷🏻‍♀️
  • Options
    @twizzleraddict1 @mdfarmchick @dimeadozen @wisewitch222 Thank you all for your suggestions and perspectives!! I appreciate it. 
  • Options
    @mdfarmchick But you can still put things on the registry that you will buy yourself just to get the completion discount. We had the travel system on our first registry even though we knew we would buy it ourselves, and we also made a registry for #2 and just kept it private because we only used it for ourselves and the discount. I'll probably make another one for this kid once I get around to it.
  • Options
    @brittanynmorris we did not put our infant seat or convertible on our registry. And tbh I'm glad we did not! I've mentioned this on other threads, but people went off registry for some really big purchases (e.g., our swing) because they found a better deal for something similar. For some things, going off registry is fine, by car seats were a very big deal for me due to safety. So I chose to buy it myself to ensure I got what I wanted.   
  • Options
    @bridgiebee82 that is absolutely terrifying. Of course I had to find out more... and apparently so did others as there was a short article about it & the history of car seats in general.  

• Options
    rikiteacuprikiteacup member
    edited March 2022
    We will reuse our Nuna Pipa for this baby. We currently have a Nuna Rava and a Chicco Nexfirt Sport as carseats. I like both of them. 
    We will reuse our Nuna Mixx stroller. I LOOOVE it. While it is super expensive, it is so nice. We also use a $70 Jeep stroller when we travel and it is pretty good and sturdy for the price.

@lmaplejc do you get bothered by how short the between the leg strap is for the Nuna Rava? When I strap my DD in the Chicco Nexfit, the strap is about 12 inches long. For the Nuna it is only like 4 inches long which makes it hard to pull.
    TTC#1
    10/2018: MFI (2 SA under 9 million/ml)
    11/2018: HSG shows right Fallopian tube slightly damaged 
    1/2019: Husband diagnosed with grade 3 varicocele
    4/05/2019: varicocele repair surgery
    6/13/2019: BFP!!! EDD: 2/22/2020 <3  Baby girl born 2/27/2020
    7/18/2019: Total Motile Count at 3 months post surgery = 51 millions!! (number must be >20 millions to conceive naturally).

TTC #2
    9/07/2021: BFP - CP: 9/10/2021
    10/07/2021: BFP - CP: 10/23/2021
    12/23/2021: BFP! EDD: 08/31/2022