2nd Trimester

Sudden Increase in Discharge

Hi all. Im a VERY anxious first time mom. Im 19W3D and while I’ve had some discharge so far, I just suddenly noticed a big uptick in it today. It’s clear, odorless, and very watery. I’m extremely concerned that I’m leaking amniotic fluid. Is this kind of discharge normal at this point? Or should I be making an after hours call to my OB? Any insight is GREATLY appreciated. 

Re: Sudden Increase in Discharge

• Discharge in pregnancy is normal. If you’re concerned that it could actually be amniotic fluid, you should call labor and delivery. There is a test they can do to see if it is, but they could also ask you questions to get a better idea. 
  • Same thing happened to me, so I went and saw my dr. I tested positive for BV and they started me on antibiotics.
  • Loading the player...
  • An update: went to the ER where they did an Amnisure test, which THANKFULLY came back negative. So it’s not an amniotic leak. They also tested for infection and that all came back negative too. Had a follow up with my OB yesterday and she took a look and said it looked like normal pregnancy discharge. I guess I just never realized how HEAVY this pregnancy discharge could be. Looks like I’ll be wearing a pad from now on. 
  • @ knottie just a heads up, it might be a better idea to just change your underwear more frequently (I know, what a pain. I change mine every morning and evening). Sometimes pads can cause irritation! 
  • Also panty liners work great. If you were thongs, like I do, they have them too!
  • Hiii! Yes totally normal. This is my second pregnancy and Im just experiencing this now, didnt have this with my first 😐