September 2022 Moms

NT/NIPT Discussion Thread

Re: NT/NIPT Discussion Thread

• @mnmomma84 perhaps they just want to die that tech how to do their job? They couldn't get the right angle and perhaps the radiologist knows a trick to get a better angle that the tech wasn't aware of. 
  • @lilienne i'm sorry my response was actually meant for @mnmomma84.... Sorry for the confusion
    Current pregnancy -
    First BFP on 1/4/22.  Due date 9/13/22.

Four prior losses, no living children - 1 first trimester miscarriage, 1 blighted ovum, 1 chemical, and one extreme premature live birth daughter who died at 15 days old.

• Loading the player...
  • @kboydbowman ah, got it! :smile:
    First time mom-to-be, due 9/25/22

Some complicated chromosomal stuff going on - our fingers are crossed, but this may not go according to plan!

• Maybe? We even took a break for me to move around, go pee and she consulted with the doctor. She really tried to get every angle (apart from transvag probe) and it’s just the tilt of my uterus that limits the view. Got pretty close a couple of times, but baby was not having all the pressing and pushing of their space 😉 
    Anyone been told they had a retroverted uterus? My US tech friend said that it usually flips back and out of the pelvis by week 12 (I’m at 12w3d) and that if it doesn’t they may have to manually bring it out of the pelvic cavity?? Wtf! Thinking that’s worst case scenario. That also explains the extreme constipation and GI issues I’ve been having. 
  • @mnmomma84 maybe it’s just the tilt of your uterus they want to check back up on…? I’m confused, too! 
  • @mnmomma84 I have a retroverted uterus, too. The only “issue” I’ve had with it is that early in pregnancy the US technician needs to use the transvaginal probe. I go in for my NT ultrasound tomorrow, so we’ll see how it goes. Although, I received my NIPT results today and I’m low-risk across the board. 

I hope that your results come back quickly and everything looks good. Sorry for the added stress of another scan!
    TTC History
    Me: 38 DH: 52
    Started trying June 2018
    BFP Jan 2019 DD born October 2019
    TTC July 2021 BFP, ended in MMC August 2021
    TTC October 2021
    BFP January 2022
    MMC March 2022
    Beginning May 2022 under the supervision of an RE - Benched while undergoing testing

• My doctor sent me an email this morning to tell me that my NIPT came back clean, but the results aren't up yet so I can't check the gender.  AAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHH want to know.
    Current pregnancy -

Four prior losses, no living children - 1 first trimester miscarriage, 1 blighted ovum, 1 chemical, and one extreme premature live birth daughter who died at 15 days old.

• @kboydbowman I am literally in the same boat right now!! I keep checking the online portal every 5 minutes like a fool  :D
  • @bigworldlittleg I'll get an email from Kaiser when the results go up.  Last time, though, I remember that before the results went up they called me and asked me if I wanted to know the gender and then told me over the phone when I said yes.
    Current pregnancy -

• I'm so happy for all of you with clear tests coming back, but I'm envious! @kboydbowman I think you and I both had blood drawn on the same day, but I haven't heard anything yet. Kaiser told me it could take up to 14 business days, which was not what I wanted to hear!

Some complicated chromosomal stuff going on - our fingers are crossed, but this may not go according to plan!

• @lilienne They said that, but it's usually way faster.  I think last time it was about a week.
    Current pregnancy -

• @kboydbowman fingers crossed! I'm hemming maternity pants so as to not just sit around refreshing my email inbox. They said if everything is normal, they'll just upload the results to the patient portal - I'll only get a call if the results are abnormal.

• @mnmomma84 at my dating scan this time, my mw asked have you ever been told you have a retroverted uterus and I was like no no I haven't. We're you told with your other pregnancies or is this something that can just happen randomly? 
  • @jhysmath
    This is the first I'm hearing of it. Maybe because the scans I've had in my previous 2 pregnancies were 20 weeks and after. 
  • @mnmomma84
    I had multiple scans before the 20 weeks scan with both of my pregnancies because of complications. I think I had 5 or 6 before the anatomy scan, never once was this mentioned. 
  • @mnmomma84 me! I had no idea I had one. My US tech was amazing and when she told me, she was like “it’s the equivalent of being left-handed”.. which I thought was a great analogy that put any concerns I started thinking up, to rest! Definitely can’t see anything with the hand-held US things… they are still doing TV scans. 
  • Both NT and NIPT came back clean.  NT says I'm measuring 3 days ahead (which would make due date 9/11) but I doubt they'll change my date.  Now I just need my NIPT gender results!
    Current pregnancy -

• @trapperkeeper87 I don't know specifically, that's just how my doctor explained it. I interpreted it to mean more like the NIPT would be checking genetic disorders, whereas the NT scan would be checking if like an arm was missing or something. That's dramatic, but that's along the lines of what I think she meant. 
  • Kaiser just scheduled me a 4pm appointment "to discuss my NIPT results." They explicitly said they would only schedule an appointment if the result wasn't normal. So, not what I was hoping for...trying to stay sane for the next two hours and fifteen minutes.

• @lilienne praying for the best outcome for you dear ❤️
  • That must be so nerve-wracking @lilienne! Please keep us apprised.
    Current pregnancy -

• @lilienne I'll be sending so many positive vibes your way. I can't even imagine what is going through your head right now.
    DD 10/2019
  • @lilienne sending positive thoughts your way. That's terrible that they're making you wait. I think I'd prefer to hear over the phone and then have an appointment to answer questions and discuss what comes next. 
  • liliennelilienne member
    edited March 2022
    Down Syndrome. CVS and NT scan scheduled for tomorrow. The false positive rate for a NT scan at my age is problematic, so we'll have to wait 1.5-3 weeks for CVS results.

However it goes, I'm not sure if I'll continue on this board or not. If I don't, please know I'm wishing all of you the very best of luck and health through all the rest of these months.

• @lilienne That's such hard news to receive. I hope you're able to get some clearer answers soon, and that the rest of your journey is relatively uneventful. 💛
    DD 10/2019
  • @lilienne I'm so sorry. I hope for the best as nipt is just a screening and not a diagnostic. 
  • @lilienne
    I'm sorry you're having to go through this.  Although uncommon, NIPT *can* produce false positives.  I will hope for you that you're one of them.
    Current pregnancy -

• Thanks, folks. If it's all right with the community at large, I think I'm going to stick around for the moment - unless something goes wrong spontaneously, for the moment I'm still pregnant and still with the same due date. If folks will find that upsetting or hard, let me know and I'll back out.

• @lilienne
    of course we want you to stay!
    Current pregnancy -

• Heartbreak on top of heartbreak...some midwife at Kaiser was filling in and trying to help out. At 9 PM tonight we got an email saying our NIPT results came back incomplete and would we please call to speak with a geneticist tomorrow. After an hour on hold with Kaiser's main line an OBGYN confirmed the first result we were given and says the second message was sent in error.

I don't think I want a CVS tomorrow. I don't think I want any more prenatal care from Kaiser. (Last year they mistakenly diagnosed me with cancer, then realized it was all a mistake...this is one mistake too many.) But that means putting off the CVS and putting off getting real answers...

• I'm sorry you're having a bad experience with Kaiser.  I had one horrible nightmare experience with a doctor at Kaiser (very long and triggering story related to my previous pregnancy), but otherwise I've had nothing but good experiences with them.  
    Current pregnancy -

• @kboydbowman I thought they would be careful not to make mistakes after what they put me through last year...we stayed with them instead of leaving, when I think now we should have left.

• what part of Cali are you in? Do you have any other Kaiser facilities you could go to?
    Current pregnancy -

• liliennelilienne member
    edited March 2022
    @kboydbowman in immediate our area, only one Kaiser facility has anyone qualified to perform a CVS. I will go to my appointment tomorrow, but right now I think all I will let them do is print a copy of my NIPT results and send me home with them. I'm talking with a local Down Syndrome family support group tomorrow to get their recommendation on doctors, and I may try to talk Kaiser into referring me to them, under the circumstances. I don't know if it will work, but right now it doesn't feel right to let them touch me tomorrow.

• @lilienne
    sent you a private message.  I'm sorry you're having to deal with all of this.
    Current pregnancy -

• @lilienne I know how you feel with them making mistakes. My 2nd daughter the ob we saw for the dating US told me she was a molar pregnancy and scheduled a d&c. Telling me I had to do it the very next day because it was a cancer and I'd likely need chemo. After a second opinion we found out she was healthy and went along with delivery, but my husband made sure to tell everyone we saw that he didn't want that OB anywhere near me and each appointment he told them to make sure it was in my chart. 

With their mistakes, I'd also be nervous about getting a CVS from them, I'd really struggle with wanting answers and not wanting them anywhere near me. 

Also, please stay as long as you feel you want to. We're here to support you the best we can from the creepy internet side of things. 
  • @lilienne So sorry you are dealing with this! I would definitely try to get a second opinion if I were you. And yes, we would love for you to stick around so we can support you as much as possible! 
  • @lilienne sending you so much support! <3
  • I’m just catching up on this and I’m so sorry for all you’re going through!! I hope you find this group supportive and decide to stick around regardless.