October 2022 Moms

Overweight and Pregnant

Is anyone else/has anyone else been overweight while pregnant? Everything I’m reading just makes me more panicked and of course it’s not like I can do anything right now other than eat right. I had started losing weight when I found out. Now I’m just terrified! 

Re: Overweight and Pregnant

• Right there with you. I'd started working with a nutritionist right before the end of the year and then found out we were expecting. She's really helped calm my anxiety around food and this pregnancy. The bottom line is that we should definitely not try to lose weight,  but focus on making better choices when we're able to. That won't be all the time, and that's okay. 

I haven't had my first appointment yet, but when I'd asked my OB if there were any dangers to being pregnant at my weight she told me that as long as all my other markers are fine I'm not at any higher risk than other pregnancies. Now, whether or not that's how things will play out remains to be seen. As long as you're taking good care of yourself and your baby then I wouldn't send yourself into a panic :)
  • I'm overweight and this is my first pregnancy but other then that I'm healthy. My doctor said it's just another state of health. Sometimes thin people have complications and sometimes thicker people have complications. The nice thing is that we have a smart doctors watching over our pregnancy. I tried to loose weight about a year ago then life happened and I stayed at the same weight (265-270lb). It's ok to be scared but also know that your body is made to do this! You got this!

And a little tip, wear compression socks. I'm a nurse and they help so much! I got a bunch to wear daily to prevent my feet from swelling as much even though it's early 🙂

If anyone knows of great places to get plus size maternity clothes, please leave a comment 🙂 
  • Loading the player...
  • @mcorinne2404 I second the request for plus size maternity clothes! I know Pink Blush does have a curve section.
  • I'm in the same boat and pretty nervous about it. I'm eating very healthy now so hopefully that will help reduce some of the risks.
  • I was overweight with my first two pregnancies and they were perfect and pretty text book. No complications at all. I’m older now, though, and the heaviest I’ve ever been so I’m just trying my best to make smart choices. It’s worrisome of course and I already feel so uncomfortable just from the bloat.
  • Have a fat friendly provider. Do your best not to gain too much weight (11-20lb recommend I believe). You don't need extra calories until the 3rd trimester and then it's about 200 a day. I was pregnant at 215 in 2020 and delivered at about 235. Was back to 215 at my 6 week appt and all was well during and after pregnancy. Pregnant again and starting at the same weight. My belly wasn't as cute as some (a bit of a B) but I liked it. 
  • I am in the same boat. I had to work pretty vigorously through fertility doctors for this baby (unrelated to my weight) BUT they have me at a high risk OBGYN as well. They definitely scared the absolute crap out of me, but I'm trying to remember that babies have been born successfully for thousands of years without worrying about this. I'm eating better, healthier, and taking daily walks. Trying to think positively!
  • Thank you everyone!! You all definitely put my mind at ease!
  • I'm overweight and this is my first pregnancy but other then that I'm healthy. My doctor said it's just another state of health. Sometimes thin people have complications and sometimes thicker people have complications. The nice thing is that we have a smart doctors watching over our pregnancy. I tried to loose weight about a year ago then life happened and I stayed at the same weight (265-270lb). It's ok to be scared but also know that your body is made to do this! You got this!

And a little tip, wear compression socks. I'm a nurse and they help so much! I got a bunch to wear daily to prevent my feet from swelling as much even though it's early 🙂

If anyone knows of great places to get plus size maternity clothes, please leave a comment 🙂 
    Ahhh this!!! Wear compression socks. This might be TMI but your butt hole will thank you later. 
  • Yup same here. Mostly with my first pregnancy. But haven’t been able to lose the extra 15kg between now and then. This baby is also ivf but didn’t take as long soo I didn’t put on quite as much. Still difficult. 

I gained about 25 pounds in the 9 months I’ve been on fertility medications and TTC. 😑😑 Not a fun place to be starting with pregnancy, but very thrilled to be starting with pregnancy!