1st Trimester

Baby Aspirin recommendation ?

Hi everyone, first time pregnancy I'm 8 weeks in . It was recommended by the NP I start a baby aspirin daily around 12-14 weeks to help prevent preclampsia. Has anyone every herd of this ? Or has followed this? Thoughts please I am nervous at thought of taking a daily med 

Re: Baby Aspirin recommendation ?

• Not sure why they’d recommend it if it weren’t safe. I have heard this before if there are risk factors or a history of pre-e. I’ve been taking baby aspirin for 7 years for issues not related to pregnancy and it’s such a small dose that it doesn’t really affect anything. 
  • I had to take baby aspirin throughout my last pregnancy due to high blood pressure. It was precautionary to help prevent preeclampsia. If it’s being recommended, do it. They know what they’re talking about. 
  • Loading the player...
  • This is very common. I took it starting at 12w for my son and am taking it again for this pregnancy. It’s just baby aspirin so I’m not sure about the concern. If you’re confused by the recommendation, ask your doctor. Preeclampsia is dangerous, eclampsia is deadly, so I think following a doctor’s advice on mitigating that risk is important. 
  • Do you have a history of pre-e or is there some reason you’re at risk for it? I’ve never heard of doing it just as a preventative without a solid reason (by a solid reason, I mean a history of it or a risk factor like hypertension. For what it’s worth, I had a risk factor for pre-e because I’ve had children less than 2 years apart. My midwives never recommended aspirin or even brought pre-e up as a concern other than standard “things to watch out for”.)
  • They said there was 2 mild risk factors being 1 it's my first pregnancy and 2 my bmi of 30. My blood pressure is normal. I think I read that preclampsia effects like less than 10% of pregnancies so just was wondering if it's worth the stress. But seems like it's a normal practice 
  • I've had preeclampsia twice, this is normal practice. I'm 13 weeks and started my baby aspirin last week. I use Bayer's.