August 2022 Moms
Options

All About Breastfeeding

Drop your BFing questions, concerns and tips here!

Re: All About Breastfeeding

• Options
    @paytonpedro YES to the spectra! It rocks. As does the Haaka. I’m glad your second experience was easier than the first! My DS1 also wouldn’t take a bottle from me, but would take it from anyone else. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I’ve heard a LOT of moms recommend the Spectra and I’m currently researching. I thought I wanted more of a hands-off approach, like the Willow or the Elvie, but it looks like those are made for a more specific body. Is being tied down with a pump as dramatic as it sounds? I’m very interested in BF and as a FTM it something I really want to do and work hard at unless something happens to where I need to switch, like @paytonpedro did. I’m just thinking that my breaks at work are not consistent and with a hands free pump, I could pop in and still teach, make copies, etc. I’m just trying to research a ton and figure everything out! (Which I know will never happen until babe is here!)
  • Options
    @cas060 I’m interested to see if my DD wants to go back to nursing when baby is born. She just turned 3 and still seeks my breast for comfort. She basically twiddles on top or on the side which is what she did while she nursed. 

Funny story prior to my BFP my daughter grabbed my breasts and when I asked what she was doing she laughed and said “trying to get the milk out” 
  • Options
    darkrose88darkrose88 member
    edited January 2022
    @wigglyicecream I really wish it had made a difference for me. I measured my nipples and bought a range of flanges to test out because I wasn't 100% sure what size I needed. I discovered which ones fit and which ones didn't but trial and error. The flanges I went with were so much more comfortable than the original one that Medela provides. But it would still take me an insane amount of time to produce milk with a pump. DS could empty me on both sides in 15 mins by the time he was 6 months. It could take me 30-45 mins to be emptied using my pump with the comfy flanges - even at a higher speed. 🤷‍♀️ 
  • Options
    @darkrose88 I only had real successful pumping in the earlier days when my milk seemed plentiful. Once DD got the hang of it and I leveled out pumping was so hard for me too. I used nipple butter, different flanges, different pump, but it just wasn’t it for me. Luckily I had fabulous success with the Haaka even after my supply leveled and could get milk for the few bottles she would take that way. 
  • Options
    I ended up renting a hospital grade pump which I would use at home and that helped A TON with supply bc that sucker is strong. I will probably do the same this time around especially if I am working from home.
  • Options
    @wigglyicecream I definitely regret not getting a Haaka last time. I've heard so many great things about it. Also, pumping is not for the faint of heart. I did it for a year and was soooo done by the time DS reached 1. I could have kept nursing DS much longer. I loved nursing snuggles. Sadly by 13 months he only wanted his bottle (which was all formula at that point since I was done pumping). 
  • Options
    @darkrose88 I know the first thing going on your registry. Also I hear you, there is some special about the BF snuggles and also a part of me was envious of kids that took bottles since I never got the opportunity to get a break from nursing until I was done done. I fully believe my daughter would still be nursing if I didn’t decide it was time for us to wean. 
  • Options
    meagan822meagan822 member
    edited January 2022
    This is a really judgement free & uplifting chat, so thank you. And thanks to all the moms willing to offer advice!

My “plan.” In case anyone else is just enjoying how everyone’s plans or experiences are unique as much as I am. :) I’ve never felt strongly about wanting to breastfeed and the past couple years I have leaned a lot more towards pumping. Everyone I know who wanted to breastfeed and had a rough start said it was worth the difficulty in the first little while/days/weeks if you wanted to go that route. But that made me ask myself if I even wanted to go that route in the first place. And ultimately (at this time) I want to try pumping as my first option. I want to have skin on skin cuddles either way, so I don’t feel that I have to miss a lot. This way would let me pump when works for me a little more and then hubby can have lots of turns for bonding too and to give me breaks at night. After a few months, I’m open to switching to formula.  I’m sure it will feel like I can have my body to myself in a way, which could be helpful for PPD. My husband is supportive of whatever I choose, which is a nice feeling. I’m open to things changing as we go, but FED IS BEST!!💕

@and_peggy I love your tips. Thank you! The Haaka is a must have for me!! And I don’t plan on buying nursing covers. I’ll have some multipurpose swaddle blankets that can serve that purpose or as burp cloths too. 

@cas060 We plan to switch to formula at some point, but good idea to have it at the start! I’ll probably even bring some in the hospital bag just in case pumping doesn’t go as planned! 
  • Options
    @and_peggy It is! Moral support for you (and everyone) trying it this time around!
  • Options
    @wisewitch222 AMEN! Thank you for sharing all of that. 
  • Options
    Ok so I'd really like to BF, but since I'll be staying home, will it be necessary for me to pump? Where does this question belong? 🤔 
  • Options
    @bridgiebee82 I think the question belongs here. You may have to pump for to maintain supply or to fry and build a stash if you want YH to be able to feed babies breast milk. Are you willing to supplement if you need to? 
  • Options
    @bridgiebee82 ditto to what wiggly said. Pumping is only necessary if you want someone else to be able to feed the babies your milk, or if your babes won’t take formula. But also it does help build and maintain a supply, which with twins might be a little different than with just one. Maybe a past twin mama can chime in more on that?

I’m  a sahm and my second wouldn’t take a bottle from me. But I used the haakaa and pumped occasionally to have milk for my mil to feed the baby for nights out or when I would work on Saturday mornings. I honestly can’t even remember but I don’t know if I did that they whole time or if she started giving him formula. 

I definitely agree with having formula on hand just in case!!

@meagan822 I think you mentioned bringing formula to the hospital, the hospital most definitely has formula for baby to use while there (and can likely even send you home with a little too!) Maybe call just to be sure closer to when the time comes, but one less thing to have to remember to pack is super nice! I know all of our local hospitals have formula and after my second, I was dead exhausted and begged the nurse to take him for a few hours and feed him formula so I could sleep (he was born at 3:21am). I didn’t sleep and was up every hour waiting for him to come back. Lol
  • Options
    @wigglyicecream @paytonpedro

Ahhh good call with the pumping so others can feed the babes. 
  • Options
    @lmaplejc I find it interesting that the Medela didn't work for you because of suction strength. I didn't ever consider the pump strength could have been the reason it took me so long to pump the milk out. But I recall using the top setting and it still taking forever for the milk to all get out. I figured it was because of how the baby sucked it out vs strength. That's definitely food for thought for the next pump...
  • Options
    @darkrose88 Looking back at your comments, it seems like we may have had a similar journey.  I tried different flanges, breastfeeding groups, and ended up realizing that access was the issue.  A weighted feed proved my son was drawing a lot more milk than a pump could pull.  I’ve heard that subsequent pregnancies might resolve the issue on their own, but if it happens again I’ll probably rent a hospital grade.  Medela didn’t work as well for me as the others, and I’d be at the strongest setting of every pump I’d try.  A friend with the same issue recommended the Bellababy.  It had the strongest suction, and I think it was less than $50 on Amazon.
  • Options
    @lmaplejc I won't lie, I was so overwhelmed between working full time and being a new mom that at the time I just went with the flow and accepted the pump wasn't going to be as efficient. It is most likely what lead my production suffering and by 6 months us needing to supplement with formula.

Truth be told I have no clue what my experience will be like this time because I will be in a different situation. I'll be working full time at home, and DH will be watching DS & baby. I could pump while working. But chances are I'll most likely try and nurse when baby is little instead out of convenience. I'm not sure if it feasible. I think if it proves to be too much I'll invest in a stronger pump and go from there. 
  • Options
    @lmaplejc I got the Medela Symphony from the hospital. It’s big and comes in like a rolly suitcase lol so definitely not portable but a lifesaver for supply and a great pump to have at home for a little while. Basically, regular pumps did not compare. The only thing with is, the rental fee is not cheap. It’s like a $2500 pump. But I told myself it was good for the environment, lol. 
  • Options
    @darkrose88 that makes total sense.  I’m hoping it will be easier this time for both of us.

@buffythevampireslayer saving the environment, one pump at a time! 😆   Thank you, I think I’ll try it if I don’t have luck with standard pumps again.
  • Options
    Anyone have tips or suggestions for a first time mom planning on BF twins? I’ll eventually go back to work between 8-12w and be pumping so advice there is welcomed! 
  • Options
    @bridgiebee82 having a pump will be useful if you need to release pressure and to build a little stash so you can be out and about. But I would say don't stress too much. Pumping is work (washing parts, bottles...). During my maternity leave, I pumped as little as I needed to and still managed to build a stash.
    TTC#1
    10/2018: MFI (2 SA under 9 million/ml)
    11/2018: HSG shows right Fallopian tube slightly damaged 
    1/2019: Husband diagnosed with grade 3 varicocele
    4/05/2019: varicocele repair surgery
    6/13/2019: BFP!!! EDD: 2/22/2020 <3  Baby girl born 2/27/2020
    7/18/2019: Total Motile Count at 3 months post surgery = 51 millions!! (number must be >20 millions to conceive naturally).

TTC #2
    9/07/2021: BFP - CP: 9/10/2021
    10/07/2021: BFP - CP: 10/23/2021
    12/23/2021: BFP! EDD: 08/31/2022

• Options
    @bridgiebee82 From my twin mom friends (5 separate ones), they all bottle-fed, whether they did formula or pumping, but none of them exclusively breast fed twins. Not saying you can't, but it does seem like it would be an especially good idea to own/rent a pump if you're having twins.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    @bridgiebee82 lucie’s list has a whole special section on multiples including info on breastfeeding multiples from multiples moms. I have read through it just out of curiosity and thought it was super interesting and full of good info. 

ETA link (if I did it right?)