August 2022 Moms
Options

January appointments

Tell us about your upcoming appointments or give us appointment updates here 😊

If you have an ultrasound photo please put it in the pinned u/s thread! 
Me: 35  H: 35
Married: 4/5/13

"You know that place between sleep and awake, 
that place where you can still remember dreaming?
That's where I will always love you.  
That's where I'll be waiting."
~Peter Pan 

*TW*
BFP #1: 11/12/12  EDD 7/25/13 Baby boy: 7/27/13
BFP #2: 10/29/17   MMC dx @ 9 weeks
BFP #3: 2/2/18 MC 2/7/18
BFP #4: 3/2/18  MC 3/9/18
RPL testing and hysteroscopy: all normal
BFP #5: 4/1/18 MMC dx @ 14 weeks ----> genetically normal girl  :'(
Hysteroscopy to remove scar tissue 9/28
BFP #6 11/5/18 EDD 7/20/19  <3  Rainbow baby girl born 7/23/19 
BFP #7 12/8/2021 EDD 8/22/2022 

Re: January appointments

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    coco2787coco2787 member
    edited January 2022
    I hope babe is still doing well in there @and_peggy!

ugh that’s super annoying @brittanynmorris 🤦🏻‍♀️
    Me: 35  H: 35
    Married: 4/5/13

"You know that place between sleep and awake, 
    that place where you can still remember dreaming?
    That's where I will always love you.  
    That's where I'll be waiting."
    ~Peter Pan 

*TW*
    BFP #1: 11/12/12  EDD 7/25/13 Baby boy: 7/27/13
    BFP #2: 10/29/17   MMC dx @ 9 weeks
    BFP #3: 2/2/18 MC 2/7/18
    BFP #4: 3/2/18  MC 3/9/18
    RPL testing and hysteroscopy: all normal
    BFP #5: 4/1/18 MMC dx @ 14 weeks ----> genetically normal girl  :'(
    Hysteroscopy to remove scar tissue 9/28
    BFP #6 11/5/18 EDD 7/20/19  <3  Rainbow baby girl born 7/23/19 
    BFP #7 12/8/2021 EDD 8/22/2022 
  • Options
    I’ve been thinking about you @and_peggy, I can’t wait to hear how your appointment goes
  • Options
    @anniemarie887 I can relate! They switched mine to 8/30 and my first appointment was yesteday! I know some people have had multiple appointments already! I'll be thinking of you for your first appointment. 
  • Options
    @anniemarie887 I had to do one at my intake (although I just did one this summer) to test for gonorrhea, chlamydia, plus other STDs. Could be my office, but they said that was common practice! 
  • Options
    @starkette I was nervous about my pap at my 8 week appointment because I bled after my pap when pregnant with my daughter but I didn’t spot / bleed at all after this one. 
  • Options
    @itsme215 my husband had a similar reaction during mine. He thought it was so odd that my doctor just continued to talk to me in casual conversation as if she wasn't being invasive or anything. I told him that's how it goes every time. They talk to you to distract you. I'm pretty sure I once had a doctor talk to me about centripetal motion once during an exam years ago when they found out I was a physics major. 😂
  • Options
    darkrose88darkrose88 member
    edited January 2022
    @anniemarie887 I actually got a pap done during an appointment this past October (before we started TTC). I was technically supposed to get one at my last appointment (for drug screening purposes), but I'd been having off and on spotting for two weeks, and the NP confirmed at the appointment my cervix was very sensitive (hence the bleeding) so decided to use my urine sample instead so I wouldn't have more bleeding.

Also - story time - when my membranes were stripped, it ended up partially rupturing my water prematurely. I didn't realize it but there was so much blood/fluid and it never stopped. I ended up going to the hospital and it was determined by the staff who tested me to see if it was water from my uterus. The OB who did it was shocked after I told her as it rarely happens. Needless to say, I will not be getting my membranes stripped this time around.

Also your husband was a trooper for being able to sit through that if it was nearly as messy as my experience was. 

Edit: to update as I accidently posted early.
  • Options
    darkrose88darkrose88 member
    edited January 2022
    I'm one of those people who have had several appointments already. I'm going in for my third appointment on 1/26. I'm still a little confused why they wanted me back so soon, as I just had one last week (1/10). But the NP I've been seeing wanted me back in 2.5 weeks. The paperwork said up until 28 weeks they only needed to see me every 4 weeks.  
  • Options
    My next appointment is on 1/31. It will be my first appointment with the MFM at 12w1d. Then I have my 3rd appointment with my OB on 2/4. 
  • Options
    @darkrose88 YIKES! my membrane strip did not put me into labor 😭 it thankfully wasn’t messy, but I also didn’t think it hurt! I wound up going 5 more days, a full week past my due date. I fully believe acupuncture put me into active labor.  
  • Options
    bridgiebee82bridgiebee82 member
    edited January 2022
    My husband was shocked avout me having a pap smear while he was in the room. He even shut the curtain at one point! Lmao

Ummmm... I'm going to go over to the question thread because I've never heard of getting your membranes stripped. 😱

ETA: I have an appointment on 1/26 and it'll be my 3rd. My husband and I both have to get bloodwork done, and then I'll have another exam. 
  • Options
    @and_peggy thank you. It sounds painful. 🥺 
  • Options
    @bridgiebee82 I’ve heard that it can be uncomfortable but I’ve never had it done. A lot of times they’ll do it if you’re not dilated at 39 weeks or more. I’m always like 4cm by 36 weeks so not a good candidate.
    Pregnancy Ticker

5.5.16 | 8.14.17 | 1.30.19
  • Options
    My NIPT appt was supposed to be tomorrow morning, but they called me this afternoon to reschedule 😩 So I will go for it next Tuesday, and then my 12 week OB appt on 2/2
  • Options
    @and_peggy @bridgiebee82 I was 40 weeks exactly, only 1cm dilatated, 50% effaced (so my body was not ready to give birth quite yet) when my OB stripped my membranes. I was expecting it to be painful, but actually it was not for me. However, @anniemarie887 's experience was more like what I was expecting. It should not prematurely partially erupt your water, like it did for me; just naturally get you moving along. My experience was definitely unique.  
  • Options
    Def could prob move this to the big giant thread, but alas here we are. At some point the topic of cervical checks will come up, it’s a controversial one! I am for them, not everyone is! Starting at 36w I was 1cm and starting to efface. By 39w I was 2cm, 80% effaced, and baby was as far down in my pelvis as she could get without being in active labor. I hung out like that for 2 more weeks. 🙄🙃 Per my OBGYN you have to be at least 1-2cm dilated bc quite frankly they’ve got to shove a finger up your cervix and if it ain’t open they ain’t getting through. I didn’t mind the membrane strip, it’s not a procedure that needs monitored or anything so I would do it again even though it didn’t work for me. 
  • Options
    @anniemarie887 I did not have to get a Pap at my intake because I had one in 2020. He offered and I passed. They checked for all the STIs with the blood work. 

@bridgiebee82 Membrane stripping is also controversial because there's no evidence that it actually works - just anecdotal stories of people who went into labor but there's no way to tell that the membrane stripping actually caused it. And it's PAINFUL. My doctor doesn't do it, and he thought no one else at the practice did it. Imagine my surprise when at my 40-week appointment, with my induction already scheduled for the following week, a different doctor went in and stripped my membranes WITHOUT ASKING ME. I cramped the entire rest of the day and still needed to be induced. I will not be having my membranes stripped this time (and wouldn't have last time either). It wasn't even a possibility at U of M where I had my first baby. Still mad 😡😡😡
  • Options
    @wisewitch222 I'd have been LIVID! I'm so sorry that happened to you. Some doctors just do what they think us best, without even asking the patients. It's nuts! 
  • Options
    @anniemarie887 my last pap was 2018 so yea...I'm due. BUT they just did a full blood panel on me including STD screening (unnecessary IMO, I've only been with my husband for the past 12 years but ok) so maybe I can convince them to skip it until AFTER I give birth. 

all this talk about membrane stripping and I'm suddenly grateful I had both babies early...
  • Options
    @bridgiebee82 I was livid! I'd never been so violated in my whole life. I told my regular doctor what happened and he said he would talk to her. She still works at the practice, but I will refuse to see her. At the hospital they always have two doctors on site for deliveries so if she is one of them I will tell the nurse what she did and make it be the other one. 
  • Options
    @wisewitch222 I'm so sorry they did that to you without your consent. They had my consent and it didn't turn out great for me so if they didn't do it with my permission I'd be freaking out. 
  • Options
    @anniemarie887 @darkrose88 the worst part is I definitely would have declined the procedure if she had asked (or even announced). I knew it was painful and there was no evidence it worked and I had an induction scheduled. This was a whole level of unethical health care I was completely unprepared for. 
  • Options
    @wisewitch222 I’m so sorry that happened to you. That is such a violation, and this kind of medical ‘treatment’ without consent in absolutely unacceptable. 
  • Options
    Well now everyone on this BMB knows: if you don't want your membranes stripped, whenever they start cervical checks, now we all just have to say plainly, "Please don't strip my membranes while you're in there." 😡😡😡
  • Options
    So, I had an ultrasound this morning and they measured me at exactly 12 weeks. I thought the 12 week ultrasound was supposed to look at nuchal translucency, and didn't realize how that was done until after I left and got on Google. The tech didn't appear to take any measurements behind the baby's neck. Is that normal for a 12 week ultrasound? She did get a profile pic that I'm trying not to overanalyze since I'm not a medical professional. Anyway, they released the results through the patient portal right away and nothing about NT was mentioned. I'm seeing the OB on Friday. Just want to avoid additional tests and hope they didn't skip something.
  • Options
    @onlygooddays08 I’ve never had specific measurements until the anatomy scan around 20 weeks. I wouldn’t worry about it. And may stay off Google. 😜
    Pregnancy Ticker

5.5.16 | 8.14.17 | 1.30.19
  • Options
    @and_peggy Google is THE WORST for anxious, impatient people like me  😂