September 2022 Moms

Ultrasound photos

Now that we have people starting to have their first ultrasounds, I figured we need a thread for people to post their little bean photos!
Current pregnancy -
First BFP on 1/4/22.  Due date 9/13/22.

Four prior losses, no living children - 1 first trimester miscarriage, 1 blighted ovum, 1 chemical, and one extreme premature live birth daughter who died at 15 days old.

Re: Ultrasound photos

• Just a reminder to everyone to block out your personal information that will be getting printed on the ultrasound pictures! We don’t need any weirdos stalking you 😉
  • Loading the player...
  • @MagicMikki Oh my gosh, how exciting!! And you are AMAZING for being a surrogate. ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
    TTC History
    Me: 38 DH: 52
    Started trying June 2018
    BFP Jan 2019 DD born October 2019
    TTC July 2021 BFP, ended in MMC August 2021
    TTC October 2021
    BFP January 2022
    MMC March 2022
    Beginning May 2022 under the supervision of an RE - Benched while undergoing testing

• @MagicMikki That's amazing! 
    DD 10/2019
  • FTM here- I have my first prenatal appointment on January 24. I’ll be 8 weeks to the day and they’re saying they won’t do an ultrasound until my following visit two weeks after that (I’ll be 10 weeks). This doesn’t seem normal. On average when did you all get your first ultrasound? 

Some background that might be helpful. First pregnancy, no history of previous losses that I know of, but I don’t have very many symptoms anymore (no sore breasts as of earlier this week, no nausea at all). I asked that they do give me an ultrasound but they’re pushing back saying it’s not necessary until I’m 10 weeks which is not sitting right me.  
  • @lucyg00cy that’s frustrating, you can def actually see something by 8 weeks. Maybe they don’t have the capability to do it in office or something? 8 weeks would be transvaginal so maybe they don’t do those there? I dno. Just trying to guess. Either way, that’s frustrating! Try to just be patient (easier said than done I know!) or if you really aren’t happy with them, switch to a different practice! 
  • @lucyg00cy I know a lot of people that don’t get ultrasounds before 10/12 weeks at their provider if they’re only doing belly scans. An on the contrary, a lot of places do a “dating ultrasound” between 8-10 weeks but it may either be transvaginal or not as great resolution yet. And if you had a history of issues, that’s when they may do between 6-8 weeks transvaginal. 

I think if you are experiencing a level of anxiety/worry then you should express that to your provider and note that it would be appreciated to do it at 8 weeks since you'll already be there. But, as stated by theblondebump, if they’re doing a nominal ultrasounds then they may want more certainty at 10 weeks for their equipment. 
  • @lucyg00cy
    A lot of providers will only do earlier ones for high risk folk.  I tend to get them early because of my age and miscarriage hx, but not everyone does (I have the Cadillac of Kaiser plans).  As the posters above have noted, generally you get better info a little further on.  Try not to stress it too much.
    Current pregnancy -

Four prior losses, no living children - 1 first trimester miscarriage, 1 blighted ovum, 1 chemical, and one extreme premature live birth daughter who died at 15 days old.

• @theblondebump @kboydbowman @mokay19 thank you for the support and insight. I definitely am anxious to know more and am curious what will happening when I do see them in person. We’ll see! I called them to let them know I’ve been feeling pretty normal and the breast soreness/nipple tenderness has gone away so they said a triage nurse will talk to me this week to get more information before I see the midwife Monday. In the meantime I’ll keep moving, eating well and hoping for the best. 
  • If it helps settle your mind, with my first I went to a midwifery and they only did an ultrasound at 20 weeks unless something was abnormal or you requested a genetic screening that requires it…. As you can imagine we decided to get the scan at 13 weeks for the sole purpose of seeing our babe! 
  • @lucyg00cy with my 1st pregnancy I had ultrasound at 10 weeks and 20 weeks and that was it! 
  • @laj0217 How fun! Can you remind me how far along you are?
  • @runsonanxiety we thought 7 weeks 4 days, but this is two weeks in a row where the baby measured a week smaller. So, the doctor is saying officially 6w4d, with a new due date of 9/12/22 (old one was 9/5/22). Nervous to have lost a week of progress lol but so amazing to hear the heartbeat. 
  • First time mom here! I had my first ultrasound today around 5 1/2 weeks, and things are going well! My doc wanted to rule out ectopic. 
    My question is do you need to specifically ask for a photo to take home? I was so emotional and caught up in the moment, but then we were walking to the car and I’m like wait… 🤔
  • @first_time_momma I think it depends on your provider. I’ve never had to ask before with the fertility clinics or any of my OBs. But maybe they figured it was pretty early to want a picture…?
  • @first_time_momma the only time I wasn't given one was when I went to the ER and it was a blighted ovum. They wouldn't even let me look at the screen though, according to them that was ER policy. With my second and third pregnancies I was given photos even though at that point I was told they weren't going to be viable pregnancies. I thought it was so odd to hand me a photo when I wasn't going to get the baby... Thankfully they did, because I had both of those babies and still have their first photos. 
  • I didn’t have to ask at either of my appointments. We got a picture both times. They also told us when to take out our phone if we wanted to record the heartbeat (of course lol). 
  • @first_time_momma
    at 5.5 weeks, there's really not much to see - there's rarely a visible "baby" yet, just a sac.  So that may be why they didn't give you the photo.  There will be something more definitive visible next time.
    Current pregnancy -

• So excited to be 6weeks 5days.
  • @laj0217 same here! Just had a dating ultrasound today and measured a week earlier thank expected… with the same due date as you! — 9/12 ♥️♥️
  • Hi @skyz1lla and welcome to our board - make sure you stop by the introductions thread and introduce yourself.
    Current pregnancy -

• @kmduran You have a lot of identifying information on your photos. You may want to edit them to hide that.
    DD 10/2019
  • Here’s my little bean Nova 🥰 I was 6 weeks & 6 days exactly this day. My due date is 9/14 + her heartbeat was 130bpm. This was a vaginal exam.. does the shape look weird 😕
    Nope! I noticed on mine yesterday at 7+2 that the shape changed drastically depending on how she moved the wand around. Our little peanut looks more “blob” in some pictures than others 😊 

Also, update your username so we can respond easier!
  • missuskaemissuskae member
    edited January 2022
    So hard to see but its there there !!