1st Trimester
Options

Not Exercising Guilt

I am 7 weeks today and am normally a very active person. I teach dance classes 3x a week and strength train 4x a week. Due to the holidays and then new Covid restrictions closing all adult fitness centres, I haven’t been in my regular routine. Due to exhaustion and morning sickness really kicking in since January 2, I’ve worked out 3 times in January and they’ve been very mild, low intensity. I feel super guilty about not maintaining better health, especially since my nutrition is out the window due to morning sickness and food aversions. It’s also been incredibly rainy, like weather warnings of flooding rainy, so I haven’t been able to go for walks. Is anyone else feeling this? Any encouragement or tips for getting some exercise in while I feel nauseas 24/7 with no energy?

Re: Not Exercising Guilt

• Options
    I am 7 weeks today and am normally a very active person. I teach dance classes 3x a week and strength train 4x a week. Due to the holidays and then new Covid restrictions closing all adult fitness centres, I haven’t been in my regular routine. Due to exhaustion and morning sickness really kicking in since January 2, I’ve worked out 3 times in January and they’ve been very mild, low intensity. I feel super guilty about not maintaining better health, especially since my nutrition is out the window due to morning sickness and food aversions. It’s also been incredibly rainy, like weather warnings of flooding rainy, so I haven’t been able to go for walks. Is anyone else feeling this? Any encouragement or tips for getting some exercise in while I feel nauseas 24/7 with no energy?
    Allow your body the rest it is telling you it needs. It won’t make or break your pregnancy to not workout when you aren’t feeling well. On days when you have the energy then go for it! Small snacks throughout the day and lots of water will help with the nausea. Some people like mint or ginger tea/candies for nausea too.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    Please don’t feel guilty! First trimester is all about survival. I know it doesn’t feel like it now, but you will get your energy back and feel better soon, and exercise and balanced nutrition will be waiting for you when you do. Give yourself some grace, growing a human is hard work! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I rarely work out in first trimester. I don't have the energy, I don't eat enough, I'm usually nauseous all the time, plus, I'm always losing weight due to insufficient calorie intake. On the rare occasion I do feel ok, I still usually opt to skip my normal workouts because I can't justify burning more calories and stressing my body while I'm actively losing weight. Yoga/walking/stretching are great activities to do if you're not feeling 100% and not eating great, but still want to move. 
  • Options
    Ugh, yes I'm definitely struggling with this. I normally have an hour or so of cadio/"dance party" with my 3 year old every day, do lots of ballet inspired pilates, and generally walk everywhere and go to the playground all the time. For the past few weeks I just sat in bed all day because I was exhausted, nauseous and crampy. I'm on week 8 and it seems to be getting slowly better, so that's something.
    Not sure if it's psychological or the timing, but somehow going for a walk in the evening with my husband is almost always nice (we just dump our kid in the stroller and he usually falls asleep). Even helps with my nausea a little.
    I'm happy to know I'm not the only one feeling guilty for so much sitting around!
  • Options
    I’m trying to stay active but I’m literally tired all day long. Like, really tired. It takes all my energy to get through the day maintain my part of the house. And then even then I find myself taking breaks. I’m just so tired. 
  • Options
    THIS. I literally had a melt down the other day because I felt so bad for being “lazy”. I talked to my DR and she really encouraged me to listen to my body and rest. If I can get a walk in great! If I do 1 stretch before bed great! Just be kind to yourself and know that baby is going to throw you off a bit.