Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Sleep Training

I have a 5.5 month old who recently has started screaming crying every time we walk away from her for her naps and bedtime, so we have started the cry it out method for sleep training. My question is, is it okay to still let them cry it out when they escalate? She starts to cry so hard she sounds like a newborn, however she does stop for about 5 seconds every now and again. Any advice would be appreciated!

Re: Sleep Training

• Yes this is normal, (unfortunately), even to the point some will cry so hard they will vomit. The most important part of sleep training is being consistent and committed. As long as baby is not hungry, dirty diaper, vomiting then you should leave them to cry it out if that's your chosen method.
  • I think the cry it out method is absolutely horrible.... I could never do that to my child. I want her to know that no matter what she will always be comfortable & accepted no matter where she sleeps. Honestly I prefer her sleeping with me
  • Loading the player...
  • Hi, I would say that you know your baby best. If you feel she is escalating to a level that is horrible you can go in and check on her, let her know she's okay and then leave. My husband and I did a method where it's timed when you go in and slowly progress, so the baby learns to self soothe. If you know of a sleep consultant they can also be very helpful for tips.  I hope that helps a little!
  • I agree! I tried to let my daughter cry it out once or twice, but couldn't stand to hear her cry. I felt like such a terrible/failure of a mother. And when I picked her up, she wouldn't just stop crying, she would continue to wail for another 15-20 minutes. My heart couldn't take it.
    I listened to the advise of another mother facing the same issue and tried to sleep with my daughter. Problem solved!
    Bedtime used to almost give me anxiety, but now I am relaxed and no longer worry about my daughter waking me up at night.
    She now sleeps with me on my bare mattress (no sheets, or pillows) and we hadn't had issues since. 
    We are both much happier with this arrangement.
  • Thank you for your kind words and advice. I'll definitely try the 5, 10, 15-minute routine.