Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Beginner Solids

Hello everyone & Happy New Year!

Any recommendations for beginner solids for a 9 month old? It's getting messy (literally and figuratively). I've tried cut up bananas, peas, and avocados-- he swats my hand away when I try to feed him. He's done ok with the jar baby food, but I want to try other foods.

Sometimes I put the food on his tray for him to eat. Sometimes he eats it but most of the time he doesn't.

Anyway, any secret foods or advice would be really appreciated!

Re: Beginner Solids

• Hello everyone & Happy New Year!

Any recommendations for beginner solids for a 9 month old? It's getting messy (literally and figuratively). I've tried cut up bananas, peas, and avocados-- he swats my hand away when I try to feed him. He's done ok with the jar baby food, but I want to try other foods.

Sometimes I put the food on his tray for him to eat. Sometimes he eats it but most of the time he doesn't.

Anyway, any secret foods or advice would be really appreciated!
    Look up feedinglittles and solidstarts on Instagram.
    9 months is all about exploration so I wouldn’t be trying to feed him. Let him feed himself.
    most of the time they don’t eat much because they’re not super hungry since they’re still having BM/formula. My 16 month old still doesn’t eat a lot. But I still nurse him.  And he doesn’t like to be fed either. It’s going to be messy. But have fun with it and don’t stress. 
  • I've made muffins, breaded chicken sticks, sweet potato fries. My 9 month old loves them and loves feeding himself.
  • Loading the player...
  • Let him explore the food on his own. I agree with looking up Solid Starts. They show you how to prepare food per age. My little loves sweet potatoes. Cut them in wedges and roast them so your babe can hold the whole wedge and gnaw on it. Blueberries are awesome too! At that age you can just smoosh them and let them grab and feed themselves!
  • Fruits at room temperature should be eaten raw as much as possible to retain nutrients to the greatest extent. For example, apples, bananas, etc.: Some hard fruits can also be softened by heating, and then made into a puree.

Simple and easy-to-operate method, use a stainless steel spoon to scrape the mud directly into the baby's bowl, then use the baby's small soft spoon to feed the baby, and scrape as much as you eat. Don't do too much at one time, you can't finish it, and it will quickly oxidize and discolor.
    When the baby is older and the teeth grow in front, it is not necessary to give the baby fruit puree, but try to cut the fruit into small slices that the baby can eat with their hands and eat under the supervision of an adult.
    Do not give juice to babies under 1 year old. In order to let the baby eat more fruit, many families squeeze the fruit and give it to the baby to drink, thinking that freshly squeezed is nutritious. However, fruit juice is indeed one of the blacklists of complementary foods.
    Fruit juice is the product of destructing fruit fiber, extracting juice and removing dietary fiber. A 200ml glass of orange juice usually takes 2 to 3 oranges to squeeze out, and then discard the most nutritious pomace.

The highest content of fruit juice is sugar.

In May 2017, the American Academy of Pediatrics released the latest guidelines: Juice has no nutritional value for babies under 1 year old, and it also increases the risk of obesity and dental caries, and should not be included in the baby's diet.

Even children over 1 year old should strictly control the intake of juice, and be alert to the problems of E. coli and Salmonella infection that may be caused by unsterilized freshly squeezed juice.