June 2022 Moms

Maternity Sewing

Anyone sew clothes (yes I’m a special kind of nerd) and want to share pattern tips or ideas?

Re: Maternity Sewing

• I just got a sewing machine but will be interested in this thread!
  • @fluteling I’m interested in giving this a try as I have found myself with way more time on my hands since finishing my MBA. I’ve sewed on and off over the years and have been wanting to try again. Thinking about giving this pattern a try…what do you think? I’m a little concerned because I know stretchy fabric can be challenging.

• Loading the player...
  • @pinkkillersheep I think the pattern looks good and could be really useful, but I agree stretchy fabric can be a hassle. She says in the info that she gives a lot of tips for sewing with a regular machine instead of a serger though.
    I’d say try a t-shirt if you’re worried about sewing stretch fabrics BUT I always think you sew better if it’s something you’re excited about. 
  • I have the Vali Dress by Pattern Fantastique on my list. It’s not maternity per se, but it’s generous enough through the hip that I should be able to wear it the whole time. And it’s got two opening options so I can wear it this summer and nurse just fine. 
  • Here’s a tip I’ve found for adjusting a non maternity pattern to be maternity friendly. This works best for a dress or top pattern that has the bodice and the skirt (or lower half of the shirt) in two pieces and it’s already baggy. Think like the tiered dresses that are popular. 
    If you take 1.5” off the bodice and add 2” to the skirt, voila! Now it should accommodate bump placement!