June 2022 Moms

Creating a registry?

Have you created your registry yet? If not, when do you think you’ll do it? What are some “must add” items? 

Re: Creating a registry?

• My registry was basically finished before I was even pregnant. I used baby list this time around and loved it. I don’t necessarily have “must haves” but I am very pro adding whatever you want regardless of price. I also think it’s smart to add a few different kids of bottles in case your baby doesn’t take to the kind you initially wanted. That way you don’t have a ton of one kind and it’s not getting used. 
  • We’re using Babylist. It’s easy for us but I’m afraid it isn’t that great for the people actually buying but I put so much work into it I don’t want to start over somewhere else.
  • Loading the player...
  • @furmama2babymama my dad and his wife bought off my registry already and they didn’t have any problems. And they are by no means tech savvy. 
  • I'm a fan of Amazon. I used it last time around. 
    Pregnancy TickerSaveSave
  • I used Babylist for my first pregnancy also. We didn't hear any complaints about the website from family or friends.  The one thing I recommend to all new moms is a mobi wrap.  My son lived in it from the moment he reached 9 pounds ( I think that was the recommend weight limit to start using it, but it'll say on the box if it's higher or lower than that) it was so great for both of us. I brought him everywhere in it and had hands free most if the time.  Not all babies like it but most loveeee it. I also recommend a small diaper caddy that you can carry room to room so you can just change your baby wherever you need to and have all supplies readily available. I also agree with another poster about having different bottles on hand, it took us a couple different brands to find a bottle he liked.  Other than that, you'll find things that work for your baby as you get to know them, they are all different.  Congratulations and best wishes!
  • edited December 2021
    @marionberry19 Ok good! I was feeling guilty!
  • So I want to create a small registry but I don't want others to see it yet.  Can Target/Amazon/Babylist be kept secret or unsearchable until I'm ready?
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @bww_0331 yes my baby list registry is hidden. You can only find it if I give you a link. 
  • Excellent. I just started a hidden one on Target!
  • binxybabybinxybaby member
    edited December 2021
    @bww_0331 Definitely. I've had a private Amazon registry for this baby since like March 2020 lol.
    Pregnancy TickerSaveSave
  • I’m very overwhelmed by a registry - I started a private one on target, but I don’t know what I need as a FTM. No idea. And some of the things I do know I’ll need, I don’t know if I should buy the $100 one or the $500 one.  Help!
  • @furmama2babymama I used babylist for my 1st and 2nd and it was great. No one had issues and I like that it gives you multiple store options to chose from for most items. 

@shoarmie99 what items are you deciding if you need or not? I would recommend sticking to basics, don't put clothes on as people always have a tendency to get clothes. Some of my most loved/used items for both babies were:

1. Baby Bjorn bouncer (live saver!)
    2. The shoosher
    3. A swing (you don't need the most expensive one)
    4. Swaddles
    5. If adding clothing, anything with zippers or magnetic...buttons are the worst! Snaps are ok, but also not preferred in my book. 
    6. Primo euro bath (not sure it still exists, but I've been using mine for 5 years now and it's like brand new. It has an infant side and a toddler side when baby gets older). 
    7. A good baby mattress for the crib 
    8. A humidifier for the room
    9. Windi gas reliever 
    10. Car mirror so the baby can look into it when rear-facing...also helps you see them while driving 
    11. OXO Tot space saving drying rack for bottles
    12. Fisher-price on the go baby dome (great for the summer especially for being outside/at the beach with the baby)
    13. A baby carrier - this is a trial and error and we've tried a few before finding one we liked most

I'll keep thinking of anything else that I loved. I would also recommend putting some things on it for you, like nursing/pumping bras for example. My SIL put a mini fridge on her registry that she kept upstairs for milk storage so she wouldn't have to run up and down the stairs each time she pumped or needed to feed, so maybe an idea too. 
    ***History & TW in Spoiler***

***bfp & child warning***
    TTC - since 2014
    7 rounds of Clomid - BFN
    IUI #1 - October 2015 - BFN
    IUI #2 - November 2015 - BFN
    IUI #3 - December 2015 - BFN
    IVF #1 - March 2016
    Retrieval #1 - April 2016
    FET #1 - May 2016 - BFP!!! DS - Born January 2017
    Trying for baby #2...
    FET #2 - January 2018 - BFN  
    No more embryos left; switched to a new RE
    IVF/Retrieval #2 - January 2019
    IVF/Retrieval #3 - March 2019
    FET #3 - April 2019 - BFP!!! - DD: Born December 2019
    Trying for baby #3...
    FET #4 - October 2021 - BFP!!! - Due June 2022

• @Tulips29 thank you so much!! This is really helpful.
  • Snaps are okay on outfits. Never on pajamas. I have learned my lesson. Zippers only! 
  • @shoarmie99 A really good resource is Lucie's List. Plus, you have a great resource in us STM/STM+!
    Pregnancy TickerSaveSave
  • What’s everyone’s thoughts on baby monitors? I’m generally not a fan of things that collect my data (though I realize literally all my devices and apps do this already) and am suspicious of WiFi monitors. DH has less concerns and wants the super tech-y option.
  • binxybabybinxybaby member
    edited December 2021
    @pinkkillersheep We haven't done a wifi monitor. We used the Infant Optics DXR-8 with first baby. Good all around monitor. This time, we elected to use the Eufy baby monitor. It would be handy to use my phone instead of a dedicated monitor, but I never really struggled carrying around the monitor. The only time the range was a problem was when we were outside and our son was inside asleep.
    Pregnancy TickerSaveSave
  • I am always on the outside with this one but I am team snaps.  I like that I can just unsnap the bottom to do a middle of the night diaper change.  Unless you get the inverted zipper pjs, those are genius.  I know Could Island at Target is inverted zippers. 
  • Should we start a thread on what’s needed?
  • @pinkkillersheep We have the Motorola baby monitor. We had others, but they would lose connection and make a loud beeping sound throughout the day and night. 
  • @pinkkillersheep we have a Motorola also, but it's been a pain for the most part. We had to have it replaced as the monitor would go out of range and beep constantly. Eventually one of the cameras stopped working in night mode, so we gave up and switched to using Nest. For the baby, I'd probably go with a monitor again. 

TTC - since 2014
    7 rounds of Clomid - BFN
    IVF #1 - March 2016
    Trying for baby #2...
    Trying for baby #3...

• @pinkkillersheep we use the Wyze camera as our baby monitor. It's nice because you can check on it from your phone, talk through it, take photos, etc. and I think it's a whopping $35. We had an expensive one when our daughter was born that was absolute garbage and I highly recommend this one instead!

I second a lot of what @Tulips29 mentioned on her registry must-haves. A few things to add:

1. We splurged on a lot of things that ended up being completely unnecessary. I especially regret my UppaBaby Vista that I believe we spent well over $1k for the entire system and accessories. I do not think it is worth it and think we could have gotten away with a much cheaper stroller system, like the Chicco Bravo.

2. I recommend getting a few different bottle options and a few different options for things like shampoo, lotion, diapers, wipes, etc. I had a lot of ideas about what we'd use and most of it ended up being wrong! We ended up loving the Playtext drop in bottles vs. the Dr. Brown's for our colicky baby because we were able to squeeze out all of the excess air.

3. Loved our Halo swaddles as I was garbage at actually swaddling with a blanket!
  • @idreamofginny I second the Wyze camera. We have the whole security system in our house. We have about 7 cameras, the door lock, keypad, the scale almost all their products... they are amazing and so affordable. Also, the customer support is great. My husband is an IT guy and has given his approval of the security for them.
  • @idreamofginny we love our Chicco Bravo stroller!  We just got the double version (sit/stand) delivered and we’re going to get the infant car seat. 
  • @idreamofginny I actually love my Vista stroller. I haven't tried the Chicco, but the Vista is so much smoother riding over pavement than other strollers I've seen. The Bugaboo is even smoother, but I think it's more $ than Vista. I love the huge basket on the bottom, my 5 year old rides sitting in there with his feet on the kick stand when he gets tired. I think it also depends where you live and what you use it for. We're in NYC and take our stroller on the go alot/uneven pavements/beach/etc. It's worked well for us, but I would recommend anyone to test out strollers at the store to see what works for them. We have a buy buy baby here with a huge selection to test out. 

TTC - since 2014
    7 rounds of Clomid - BFN
    IVF #1 - March 2016
    Trying for baby #2...
    Trying for baby #3...

• We have the Chicco Viaro and love it. Good storage space!
    Pregnancy TickerSaveSave
  • Those that use Wyze cam- do you just leave the app open whenever baby is asleep?  We have one in our living room but I use it more to drop in.  Do you just plug your phone in and leave the app open?
  • I use it just to check in and then have a cheap walkie talking baby monitor to listen in on when she was little. I don't use it anymore now that she is 3. 
  • @bww_0331 I actually don't leave it on at night because our daughter is 3 and almost always sleeps through the night, but I'm sure it would work perfectly well if you leave your phone plugged in with the app on! I really like it because I can check in on her even if, say, I run out to the grocery store or something after I put her down at night. It allows me to check in and see how she's doing, even if I'm not home.