June 2022 Moms

Heartburn or worse???

Hey everyone,

I started getting heartburn about two months (early August) before becoming pregnant (late September) With it came an excess of mucus/phlegm constantly in my throat. And I mean constantly, like all day everyday. I was initially taking mucinex to try and break it up, hoping everything would pass on it’s own.

Now I’m pregnant (11 weeks) and I still constantly have this mess in my throat. I get an uncomfortable sensation that it’s settling in my chest. I’m not coughing or wheezing or having trouble breathing, so I think that’s a good thing, it’s just super uncomfortable to deal with this everyday. I have nausea and exhaustion but neither of those come close to making me feel as bad as this condition does.

I asked my doctor what to do, and they initially said to take Tums, which I have been doing. It temporarily tames the acid, but that’s it. I was then told to take Claritin in case it was allergies. That didn’t work. 

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Re: Heartburn or worse???

• Ok I had something really similar going on a year or two ago and they never figured out what it was. I even had an endoscopy. The only thing that seemed to work was Flonase, so I guess it was some kind of allergy. You should check with your OB if Flonase is safe and give it a try. It’s a little pricy but it was worth it for me to feel normal again. 
  • Thanks, I will ask about it.
  • Loading the player...
  • I would definitely talk to your doctor about it. Sorry your so uncomfortable! A good place to post this would probably be in the symptom thread in the future. Feel free to look over the. “Read this first” info if you have any questions 😁