3rd Trimester
Options

Prescription medication & breastfeeding

This is my 4th pregnancy but the only pregnancy that I have continued taking medication for ADD & Depression/Anxiety. Has anyone continued these types of medication after delivery while breastfeeding? My doctor has given me the green light to breastfeed & continue my medication but just wanted some feedback. 

Re: Prescription medication & breastfeeding

• Options
    maegant88 said:
    This is my 4th pregnancy but the only pregnancy that I have continued taking medication for ADD & Depression/Anxiety. Has anyone continued these types of medication after delivery while breastfeeding? My doctor has given me the green light to breastfeed & continue my medication but just wanted some feedback. 
    You want feedback from internet strangers that your doctor knows best? Trust your doctor or find one that you do trust.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    Trust your doctor.   If you don't trust your doctor,  then find one you do. You can ask your pediatrician, too. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ditto to what the other ladies said. Your doctor knows best. 
  • Options
    Also, check in with your pharmacist. There are many breastfeeding safe medications and most medications are broken down, depending on half life,  before they enter the milk. 
  • Options
    Listen to your doctor and ensure that they understand your full picture of health: ie don't be selective in what health info you share with them.

In Australia you can get information from your pharmacist on drug interactions and all medication should come with an information leaflet outlining risks and side effects, and usually where to go for more information, aside from your doctor.

We also have a free phone hotline called MotherSAFE which you can call to find out if prescription drugs and also over the counter stuff is safe for mothers to use during pregnancy and breastfeeding.