Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

Worried baby may have Autism or just being very paranoid?

Single dad stressed to the max. I’m convinced my 9-month-old has autism. He has a lot of repetitive movements, especially the odd upper body movement where he stiffens his upper body and makes an “O” shape. He doesn’t like affection, unless I’m holding him in my arms and go for a kiss on the cheeks, he will okay this otherwise he’ll protest. He does babble but just one or two “ga” sounds a day. He does well in all categories on the ASQ except in communication he isn’t doing so well. To make matters worse he has a lot of characteristics google says usually accompany children who are dx with Autism:

§  Will army crawl to the edge of his playmat and try to chew on the edge

§  Is very afraid of strangers/new faces

§  My mother suffers from anxiety, and my sister has depression (history of mental health in my family)

§  Does not blow raspberries, instead makes clicking sounds with his tongue

§  Super hyperactive, is never still

§  Had acid reflux as a baby

§  Has baby eczema

Some of his positives:

ü  Responds to his name sometimes

ü  Whines to be picked up

ü  Smiles when I enter the room

ü  Makes eye contact

ü  Seems to really enjoy starring at people from a distance

ü  Sometimes smiles to peekaboo, but grows bored easily

ü  Will sometimes make eye contact when bottle-fed

ü  Sleeps very well, and loves to nap

ü  Smiles at me on his own

ü  Laughs

ü  Follows a point sometimes

ü  Extends his arms to be picked up by his grandmother (mostly)

ü  Is showing signs he’s about to crawl

ü  Pulls himself to stand

ü  Enjoys eating solids, loves all food really

ü  Can hold his own bottle when he wants to

ü  Doesn’t mind getting his hands messy

His pediatrician thinks I need to treat my anxiety and doesn’t understand my concerns. EI came and assed him said they see no concerns, but I have this sick feeling that they’re not assessing him correctly and something is very wrong here.

Re: Worried baby may have Autism or just being very paranoid?

• Options
    Honestly, I  think you’re being paranoid.
    He sounds like a normal 9 month old to me.
    you have to remember all children are different just like all adults are different from each other. Some people just don’t like affection, it’s not required. 
    Kids develop at different speeds. My 14 month old still only babbles. 
    You should trust the doctors, and if you don’t then get a second opinion. But 9 months is usually too early to diagnose autism anyway. 
    I think you are stressing way too much about this. People with Autism don’t have things “wrong”.  It’s like you’re searching for things to be different with your son. Enjoy him and stop over analyzing everything he does or doesn’t do. 
  • Options
    This all sounds very normal to me!! I would focus on treating your anxiety, your baby can pick up on that!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I used to work at a daycare before I had my little one who is 7 months now. All of the behaviors you listed are typical of a 9 month old so I honestly believe you have nothing to worry about. I’d be more worried if your child was over 2 years old with these behaviors, then it’s worth a discussion with your pediatrician.
    Babies don’t typically communicate other than babbling for close to a year, and most times it takes longer than that. Repetitive movements in a baby is actually a good thing! Babies love repetition! Also when it comes to affection your baby seems very normal, they most likely just want to continue to watch everything around them and when you try to snuggle them too much it hinders that. I know my little one is very nosy and is constantly trying to watch everything and everyone!

Also on the very low chance that your child does have autism, there are plenty of resources available to help! It’s not something that has to hinder your child’s happiness as long as they are getting proper help! But I truly believe you have nothing to worry about!

It would most likely help you and your baby if you were to seek help for your anxiety, you don’t need to suffer like this! I worry constantly over my baby, and I have never been so anxious in my life. Just try trust your pediatrician and just concentrate on your baby. From your description they seem happy!
  • Options
    Ellemi05Ellemi05 Just Joined
    How’s he doing now? Curious to hear an update - we’re going through something v similar, close to everything you’ve noted.
  • Options
    All this seems pretty normal. Children feed off your energy so talk to your own doctor about your anxiety. Zero judgement. Also, regarding the baby eczema, make sure to lotion him up with cerave baby or Eucerin baby lotion after his bath at night and in the morning. Can buy on Amazon. 
  • Options
    Teacher here. The biggest sign of autism is the lack for social connection. Kids with autism avoid eye contact and don’t show a lot of emotions. The fact your baby can look at you and smile is a great sign they are social! Kiddos with autism also stem-it’s like a rocking or wiggling motion that’s repetitive. Sounds like your baby is not autistic in my opinion.