January 2022 Moms
Options

Working and when to stop

My doctor is encouraging me to quit my job because of all the physical demands. My plan was to quit roughly 2 weeks before my due date (once DD is born I will be a SAHM). My job keeps me on my feet and constantly moving and there’s plenty of lifting involved as well. I’ve consequently  had contractions on two separate occasions from dehydration and too much time on my feet which have also caused me to dilate to a 2. I understand her concerns but I feel silly and like I look weak by quitting this early. I’m a very independent person and it’s hard for me to let go of that independency. I also don’t feel like I have my SO full support in quitting just yet because it wasn’t in our plan for me to quit yet. Plus we had unexpected expenses come up that wiped out our Christmas savings so I was really hoping to work to be able to afford a nice Christmas for our kids. We are a blended family and this is the first year we will have all of the kids for Christmas and I don’t want it to be one that they remember because it was terrible. I need other pregnant mamas support and opinions. I’m so torn with what to do.

Re: Working and when to stop

• Options
    @Browder5 I completely get your concern for money, but if the job is going to cause stress on you or the baby that comes first.  You want to keep that baby in as long as possible.  Is there any way your job could give you a little lighter duty?  The kids won't think Christmas is terrible.  There are plenty of fun memories I had as a kid with my single struggling mother that didn't involve gifts at all.  We would go for rides and vote on the best decorated houses, make cookies, go to the dollar store and decorate our rooms for Christmas.  It's your decision no matter what and you will know what's best for you and the baby.  Good luck!
  • Options
    Hi @Browder5! I’m so sorry to hear the physical demands of your job have caused this much stress on your body and your emotional and mental health. If your doctor is ordering a temporary change to your job duties due to health concerns, in many locations your employer has to comply without any change in your employment status. Is there an employment lawyer you could consult about this? They might just charge a one-time consult fee that is reasonable. Or a local jobs and family services office could let you know exactly what you qualify for as a pregnant person who isn’t (well, won’t be) working. 
    @lizzie_30 is so right! My most cherished Christmas memory is when we were so broke. My stepdad scraped off the yellow paint on a number two pencil to make it look rustic and wrote, “property of N. Claus” on it, or something to that effect. He left it on the ground near the tree for us to find. We totally thought Santa accidentally dropped it from his pocket when he visited that night!!! It was the BEST! The magic was so real that day. ❤️ Your kiddos with LOVE Christmas with you.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @Browder5 I echo the above thoughts. If your job has caused you to already be dilated, and your Dr is concerned, inquire about a modified workload. 
    The most important thing is that you and baby are safe. 
    I think 'quitting' is the wrong way to look at it. Your and your baby's health is potentially on the line. 
    Hopefully your employer is able to offer modified work demands. Like @katepattsea suggested, it may be worth consulting a lawyer about this. 
    With regard to Christmas, I agree with the above sentiments. There are so many things aside from gifts that make Christmas special. 
  • Options
    Unfortunately, with my job there isn’t a way to lighten the work load. It’s either work or quit because there’s nothing light duty about it. My employer would totally lighten it if it were an option. 
  • Options
    If it were me, I’d listen to the doctor.  It sounds like the physical demands of your job are impacting your pregnancy.  Is it really worth it for an extra 2 months of salary?  I hear your concerns about needing $ for Christmas, but with the extra time you save maybe you can do some of the creative but cheaper Christmas celebrations others have suggested?  
  • Options
    Sorry to hear of your troubles. With my last I had to go on leave at the begiinimg of my 3rd trimester. Do you have short term disability? Usually they pay up to 60% of your usual wages. And for Christmas its always been about the togetherness anyway. And if you need the assistance there are programs available to help with gifts if you need them. I've had to swallow my pride and use the programs this year since my husband has been out of work most of the year and I was out for 6 weeks or more until last week. 
  • Options
    I would also take the advice of my doctor, if I were in your place. I understand how you're feeling regarding finances and Christmas coming up, but your health and the health of the baby should come first. In the grand scheme of things, I think it'll work out with the older kids. How old are they? I agree with others that there are ways you can get creative and make Christmas special without having to spend too much money. 
  • Options
    I am a 911 dispatcher, so I sit for pretty much my whole shift. I don’t think i’ll need to stop working before my due date, so long as everything goes well till then. Also, unfortunately I can not afford to take much time off. Maternity leave sucks🥺. I will most likely work up until i’m in labor.
  • Options
    I have a very easy job of taking temperatures at a local factory. I'm sitting most.of the day. I plan to work right up until delivery. Since I just started this job I won't have any income during leave amd it will all fall on my husband, I completely understand your concerns. 
  • Options
    I’m working remote and my workload is manageable so I’ll be working up until I go into labor. It’s so nerve wracking not knowing when you’ll go into labor! I’ll be staying mostly at home the last few weeks.
  • Options
    I am sorry you're in this position...it makes me so angry. But I would heed the advice of your doctor and do what's best/safest for you and baby. 

I'm hybrid right now, but after the holidays, I will be working remotely full time until I go into labor.
  • Options
    I will be working full time until I go into labor/ reach my induction date. Any time I take off before delivery will be less FMLA left to stay home with baby. I am on my feet for 10 hrs shifts, but I have started not doing some of the more physical tasks. For example, 2-3 times a week I hold kids for their lumbar punctures or bone marrow biopsies. I am no longer holding the teenagers, instead my co-workers trade me. I'll take their procedure on a 4-5 year old and they will do my teenager. 
  • Options
    With an induce date set for dec 27th. I scheduled myself to work until dec 23rd.