1st Trimester

Rock concert at 5 weeks

Okay, I need some reassurance here. My husband and I went to a rock concert this past weekend — I’m at week 5– and now I am worried because I (foolishly) assumed that there would be some policing on the weed smoking as we were in an indoor venue. However there was still a lot of that and vaping going on. I wore a mask the whole time (by the end I was so paranoid that I was triple masked) and avoided those I saw smoking and turned away when I saw someone around me exhale a puff, but I’m still freaked. I have my first appointment set up for Thanksgiving week. Anyone else been in a situation like this before? 

Re: Rock concert at 5 weeks

• Okay, I need some reassurance here. My husband and I went to a rock concert this past weekend — I’m at week 5– and now I am worried because I (foolishly) assumed that there would be some policing on the weed smoking as we were in an indoor venue. However there was still a lot of that and vaping going on. I wore a mask the whole time (by the end I was so paranoid that I was triple masked) and avoided those I saw smoking and turned away when I saw someone around me exhale a puff, but I’m still freaked. I have my first appointment set up for Thanksgiving week. Anyone else been in a situation like this before? 

I haven’t been in this situation and obviously mention it to your doctor, but 5 weeks is still so early that some women partake in these activities (smoking and vaping) at this point without realizing they’re pregnant yet. Not saying that makes it ok, but at 5 weeks baby isnt even technically connected yet, in that they don’t share a blood supply with you until later on. You should be totally fine, especially with the triple mask. I would say try to avoid it better in the future but don’t stress about what’s already been done. Congratulations on your pregnancy!
  • It is a one time incident, and as long as you are not continually breathing in second hand stuff, you will be fine as will baby.  Just avoid those situations for now on.

If it really is bothering you talk to your provider at your appointment.  
  • Loading the player...
  • There’s nothing you can do about it now except avoid it in the future, so try not to worry about it. I’m sure it’s fine. I went to several concerts while I was pregnant where some people were smoking and both my kids are fine.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::