June 2022 Moms
Options

Did your doctor have your HCG levels tested?

I’ve been reading on all sorts of forums and that about hcg levels and 6-week ultrasounds people are having. My doctor didn’t order either one of these things. My first US is at 9 weeks for dating. Anybody else?

I wonder if it’s just standard where I’m from (Canada), or if there’s another reason? My friend thought maybe it was because I don’t have a high risk pregnancy (26 and healthy, no red flags besides being slightly overweight). For those of you who have had these things, are you high risk? 

I was kind of disappointed to look over my lab req and not see the hcg test ordered, but I’ve also heard having those numbers can be very stressful, so I’m torn about whether I should ask her to order this test next time I’m in. Any thoughts?

Re: Did your doctor have your HCG levels tested?

• Options
    My first ultrasound with my son was at 12 weeks. No bloodwork for HCG. With this one my first ultrasound was at 7 weeks due to having Hashimotos they wanted me in to get my TSH checked and did ultrasound at that point. A 9 week dating ultrasound is perfectly normal. 
  • Options
    My first pregnancy was high risk because of my medications, and I got an HCG test and 6 week ultrasound. My current pregnancy is also high risk for the same reason but I have a different doctor at the same practice and he's pretty chill about it. First US is in week 9 and no HCG test. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I didn't have hcg levels tested, though I think I could've requested it. I have such bad anxiety and knew hcg testing would potentially lead me down some paranoia rabbit holes so I didn't want it. I did have an ultrasound at 6w5d without being high risk, but this was because my practice schedules first appointments between 7-9 weeks. I ovulated late and they scheduled me based on lmp which put me in week 7. I know others whose practice didn't do an ultrasound until week 10-12.
  • Options
    I had an FET done, so it is common to have hcg levels tested and early ultrasounds.
  • Options
    I’m considered high risk so I had mine tested right away and again at 6 weeks. I’ve had some complications so have had a few more since then. My friend who is not high risk called her doctor and didn’t get any blood tests done, and then didn’t even see her for several weeks. 
  • Options
    @mgmac that actually made me feel better because I was in to see my doctor for a regular appointment today (non pregnancy related). I asked if I could have my levels checked and she gave me a funny look and asked why, so I explained why. She said most shouldn’t have to worry about it and it’s more harmful to worry about them (because of stress caused by worrying about any changes). Then we booked my next appointment for week 15 (first appointment was week 6). I asked when I’d have another US after my 9 week one and she said 20-25 weeks whatever I could work out with scheduling at the radiology lab. Haha. Im like why is everyone having so many more appointments lmao. 
  • Options
    @tmarie0805 I had so many appointments because I suffer from infertility. I had to go through a lot( multiple procedures, hundreds of injections,and a loss) just to have one child.

At the fertility clinic, after the embryo transfer, the hcg levels are checked twice, then an ultrasound at 6 weeks and 8 weeks then I graduated to an ob-gyn then I have the same number of appointments as everyone else.
  • Options
    @romeoandjuliet146 Wow, I had a friend go through that and I can’t imagine. I’m sorry to hear that and wish you all the luck in the world!! 
  • Options
    I’ve had more blood work this time (HCG, progesterone) I assume based on my age (37) as I didn’t have any of this last time (34). First ultrasound scheduled for 8W (same as previous).
  • Options
    I had hcg levels tested because my period was irregular the months before getting pregnant and my doctor couldn't use my last period as a reliable way to track how far along I was. After my first positive pregnancy test I had two days of blood work to check hcg levels and rate of increase and then had an ultrasound to confirm how old baby was and give me a more precise due date. I didn't need this with my first pregnancy because my period was regular at that time. Hope that helps!