March 2022 Moms
Options

Baby Prep/Checklist Thread

What is on your to-do list to get ready for baby? This can be a running thread that we update or reference later. 

Re: Baby Prep/Checklist Thread

• Options
    We did this on my last BMB and the conversations in the weekly check-in inspired me to start this up here too. It was helpful since people had things on their list I hadn't though of yet. 

I have a checklist in the notes app on my phone. Nothing has been crossed off yet, but here is my list (I'm a STM): 
    - Order bassinet
    - Order stroller
    - Order new pump parts, freezer bags, and bottles
    - Let HR know and get leave paperwork in
    - New diaper bag
    - Pull out (from storage) and clean car seat and all the other baby stuff we have

• Options
    Oh man...I haven't even started thinking about this...but good idea to get on it! Ok, things I need to do (as long as everything keeps going well):

1. Go through 0-3 month and 3-6 month clothing and see what I have/what I need and then start thinking about ordering what I need
    2. Check to make sure the car seat base will fit in the spot I want it to with DD2's car seat abd DD1's booster seat
    3. Wash and sort burp clothes, blankets, mattress covers and protectors etc
    4. Figure out where I'm going to put the bassinet and the the crib and whether I need to reconfigure the room DD2 and I will be sharing with baby in order to fit them in...
    5. Bring the bassinet over from MIL's house where it is currently being stored
    6. Bring baby bath tub and other baby things we need in the first few months over from MIL's house
    7. Buy diapers, baby shampoo etc.
    8. Still need to talk to the doctor about the process for circumcision here and make a decision...we have 2 girls so never needed to think about this
    9. Bring home carriers 
    10. Figure out where I'm going to fit everything in this house since we are still living with my parents for the next couple of years...
    11. Submit my mat leave request and talk to my union to find out if I'll get paid over the summer if I return early and take 15.5 months instead of 18 months
    12. Pack hospital bags
    13. Arrange gifts for the girls to open while I'm at the hospital

Grrrr I'm not planning on tackling any of this until mid February...except my mat leave request which I'll submit at the end of December probably...but it's good to start thinking about it...
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @Panaceia I don't really plan on doing too much until after the new year either. I am a total planner so I have to have lists going to feel at ease haha. 
  • Options
    @kgg2241 I didn't even realize everything I need to do until I started writing it all out....
  • Options
    this is a great thread. As non-FTM, it’ll be nice to highlight what you’ll be buying for baby if you are. Hospital bag, food prep, nesting list and grocery shopping. I’d like to pick some ideas. I’ll share mine as we go through. I’m not that much of a planner. I think about it but I won’t do anything till we get closer to due dates like 34,36w. That’s just how I’ve been. I was still prepping with baby #2 when I went into labor.
  • Options
    I’ll start stockpiling soup in our deep freezer soon. I like to make huge batches and then freeze them in 2-3 serving bags. 

Besides that:
    -buy a mini crib
    -buy another dresser (they’ll be sharing a room and I can’t fit it all in the small one we have for our son)
    -figure out a double stroller 
    -buy a new car for husband or attempt one car life (his is a stick, which I can’t drive, and I want us both to be able to drive the kids)
    -maternity leave paperwork
    -get taxes done before March (because no way I trust myself to do our taxes on sleep deprivation)
    -maybe buy a new rocker because I don’t like the one we have 
    -order a new pump (it’s free with my insurance) for home, maybe buy a second one for the office so I’m not lugging back and forth 
  • Options
    My Prep to Do List:
    -Pick up wardrobe from my grandmother. (This is iffy as we were told we could have it, but she’s currently mad at us for not letting her visit. She also is antivaxx and just got back from a big trip visiting several states…)

-Get an extra camera/ monitor for our baby monitor setup since this baby will ultimately have her own room by 5-6 months.

-Set up Pack N Play bassinet in my and DH’s room.

-Find a good time to try to transition DS to a toddler bed. I heard it’s best before new baby gets here, but we were originally planning to try when he turns 2 or shortly after (roughly when I’m two months postpartum or thereabouts), just so there’s time before we actually need the crib.

-Clean out infant car seat and install close to due date.
    Works out DS grew so much we got him a new car seat at the beginning of the year that will hold him rear facing to 40 lbs and then forward facing to 90, I believe.

-Decorate Baby Room a bit.

-Solidify plans for who will watch DS when I do go into labor. My parents have a lot of health issues, Dad has stage 4 cancer and my mom and brother are honestly toxic, but FIL has COPD so struggles to keep up with a toddler and MIL has to work a lot, so I have to make sure she’s okay with taking off work if it happens when she’s not off.
    Actually kind of scared in this regard. I will say my mom isn’t terrible with small children, at least, but she will completely ignore my wishes and likes to follow a lot of the old and unsafe practices for childcare which makes me reluctant. Example: I had to work hard to convince her why my son can’t wear a coat in his car seat and she acts like I’m an idiot unless I have solid evidence and sources on the spot.
     I guess worst case scenario I go through everything solo and DH just drops me off/ picks me up and hangs out with our son. Probably me getting worried for no reason, but this will be the first time I’ll be leaving DS overnight with someone.

-Pack bag for Me, Hubby, and DS.
    Including stuff for baby girl, too.

-Make sure whoever will have DS has a bunch of snacks and toys he likes to keep him happy. I want to just stock up his favorites close to time so he’s good. Also sending along a shirt if anyone watches him that they can have him wear the day we’re coming home that’s about being a big brother.

-Set up our downstairs pack and play for a good spot to place baby girl if DS needs tended/ she falls asleep midday like newborns do.

-We don’t have much freezer space, so we’ll probably just have a few frozen meals in there. Sadly can’t really make any big batches because of nowhere to put it all.

-Stock up on Depends/ Adult Diapers, because they make postpartum so much easier.

Probably more stuff, but that’s what I can think of right now.

• Options
    Officially age of viability tomorrow. I’ve been dealing with bad anxiety with this pregnancy. Never happened to me before. 
    I said if I get past this point, I’d start baby prepping. Waiting for Black Friday sales to buy the big items I need but I’m gonna start buying the smaller stuff this weekend. Some new/ some second new.
     I’ll start looking into visiting the hospital I’ll be birthing  at to ask questions and to just get familiar. We changed cities :( I think that has been one of my biggest anxiety triggers.
    i won’t do meal prep till first or second week in February. 
    I’ll add to my to-dos as we go