April 2022 Moms
Options

Incompetent/shortening cervix

Has anyone experienced having a incompetent/shortening cervix? I am 14 w 3 d today…on Monday my cervix measured at 3.1 but at my previous U/S which was 3 weeks prior I measured at 3.4.

Back story is I had 2 still born baby boy twins in 2015 at 22 weeks due to pre term labor from shortening cervix. Needless to say I am a bundle of nerves and very anxious. I am being monitored closely and will see maternal fetal medicine on Monday for another check. However in the meantime was wondering if anyone has had this and what was done to prevent it?

With my first pregnancy with the twins it was too late for a cervical cerclage so I was hospitalized in trendelenburg position until I went into labor.

Re: Incompetent/shortening cervix

• Options
    I am being monitored for this and I don’t have the answer to your exact question, but from what I have read the cerclage can be placed up to 22 weeks. I would definitely follow up with your MFM and ask if they recommend it. Seems like they are keeping a close eye on it’s so that’s great. 

Very sorry about your sons 😢
  • Options
    One of my nurses has that. With all 4 of her boys she had a cerclage placed. One baby made it to 28 weeks, one to 38 weeks, one to 32 weeks and the last one to 24 weeks. All survived and are thriving. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    One of my best friends had her son at 22+5 (and he survived with no deficits, but it was obviously a harrowing NICU stay) due to incompetent cervix, so with her daughter they placed a cerclage as a precaution, and she ended up having to be induced because she went beyond her due date. 
  • Options
    I had a friend who went through this and unfortunately gave birth to a boy who was still born at 19 weeks . She got pregnant a year later and they put a cerclage in and she went full term with a healthy baby boy 
  • Options
    Anyone give any information on the procedure of the cerclage? Do you have to go on bed rest?
  • Options
    @arfricks1130 From what I’ve read, it’s a simple outpatient procedure that can take place under local or general anesthesia in under and hour. Then you just rest for 2/3 days after and should be good to resume normal activity, but I’m sure every doctor and patient is different so best to talk to your specific doctor.
  • Options
    @arfricks1130 generally bed rest is not evidence based in pregnancy anymore. Some doctors will still prescribe it, but studies have demonstrated it does not improve fetal outcomes, and it has demonstrable negative effects on maternal health and wellbeing.